German Maestro U.S. Loan Program
Oct 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #76 of 246
Awesome man, are those beyer pads in the last photo?

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #77 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GMP 435S in the house...and this what you get in the package.
biggrin.gif

They look awesome, those pads look like they'd fit a lot of other headphones... Beyers, Ultrasones...

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #80 of 246
Oct 4, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #81 of 246
I finally got the winning headphones for the loan program and with them came a new excitement, which always shows up with new headphones. When I first put them on my head, I could tell right away that they are some of the most comfortable headphones out there. Clamping force is almost zero, which allows you to forget that you even have anything on your head, great feeling. And they have a special GMP suspension where the driver/pad/cans are connected to the band with an elastic spring, which feels great on the head…and move the sub as well.
After my GMP 8.35, I thought that nothing was going to surprise me anymore…especially with the same driver. But I got a new surprise again! They do sound more dynamic and they definitely have the feeling of open headphones, which is super fun, if you’re into open headphones.

Now, the most important thing: the sound. The custom pads that they come with are a little warm on the bass end. Not exactly muddy, but warm. Let’s say it this way; I want the optimum sound from them, no less than studio quality. The good thing is that these headphones came with 3 different pads to try out, so after the first 2 hours, I changed to the oval ear pad (Soft-foit black S/N 6050 that I mentioned in a previous post). So with these pads, the bass sounds more detailed and they still have the feeling of vacuum tubes in the bass, which is great. The mids are really clean and balanced, as well as the highs. These pads are really studio quality, you can hear everything, super clean and clear. They can definitely compare to the K70X.
After a while I changed to the velvet pads with the ventilation holes in the back S/N 6049. These pads are the most comfortable, but I wasn’t as impressed with the sound. It really cuts the bass off and gives some boost to the mids and highs, so headphones that suffer in the highs and mids would really benefit from these pads, but this is not the case with these headphones.
Finally, I changed to the velvet pads without the vent holes in the back S/N 6085. What a surprise! These pads sound much better. They became the most balanced headphones out there. If you like the HD 600, these will be a gem for you, with better resolution and with no need for an external amp.

Conclusion:
The rubber/vinyl pads are really cool pads. The only drawback is that in warm climates, you might sweat with them, but that’s not such a big deal. They are definitely the most revealing pads. These can turn the headphones into great studio beasts with full details, full extension of frequencies, etc , it’s amazing how much these pads can affect the sound. But let’s not forget, they still sound fully balanced.
My second favorites were the velvet without the holes. These pads turned them into classic headphones. The first ones that came to mind were the HD600. I want to do a side by side comparison but I think that the GMP may sound even more balanced. Straight like a wall. Also, if you think you don’t like the piercing highs like in rock music, these would be the pads for you. I found them extremely pleasant to listen with them.
This model is an easy studio King. The main reason being, that they don’t need a special headphone amp. They can be powered almost with any source. If you’re just starting to produce music or are a professional gamer or heavy listener, these headphones would save you at least $500-$200 on a good amp. Another thing that I found is that an amp doesn’t really affect the sound on these crazy drivers. What I mean is that it wouldn’t really change the sound characteristics on the headphones. Very interesting.

These headphones made me happy. I will enjoy them for the full two weeks that they’re in my possession and I hope that most of you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #82 of 246
Hey Acix, I need advice. I've had MB Quart 805 HS for a few weeks and I'm starting to realy like them (I found them uncomfortable before because the driver covers were pressing on my earlobes, but I stretched the headband a little and that helped. Hooray for indestructible headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
). The only thing that bugs me about their sound is the sibilant voices - the phones themselves are probably not actually sibilant, but very revealing of the source quality. Construction-wise these are similar to GMP 8.35 D so my question is - are there any compatible earpads that would make them a little less sharp in the highs?
Thanks in advance.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #83 of 246
the default earpads are the least sibilant ones. It´s the oval pleather pads with lots of filter between you and the driver.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #84 of 246
Oh, I forgot to write that these headphones have different stock earpads - they are round and the material is not pleather it's more rubber-like. There is also no layer between ear and the driver other than the solid, sparse and very thin net (I don't think that affects the sound at all) - that's probably the reason why there is little/no sibilance filtering. Can the GMP 8.35 D stock pads be bought separately?

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #85 of 246
I think so since you can remove them on the 435S. From the description they seem very similar in design to the 8.400 or 8.4D? I listened to one of them at mediamarkt on their listening stations and yes those where revealing of sibilance for good and evil
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #86 of 246
Yes, I think they are the exact same headphones as 8.40 D as pictured in the GM 08/09 catalogue only with the older MB Quart logo. I've just looked at the GM website and they have a really wide range of ear pads.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #87 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Acix, I need advice. I've had MB Quart 805 HS for a few weeks and I'm starting to realy like them (I found them uncomfortable before because the driver covers were pressing on my earlobes, but I stretched the headband a little and that helped. Hooray for indestructible headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
). The only thing that bugs me about their sound is the sibilant voices - the phones themselves are probably not actually sibilant, but very revealing of the source quality. Construction-wise these are similar to GMP 8.35 D so my question is - are there any compatible earpads that would make them a little less sharp in the highs?
Thanks in advance.

Two options...first, you could buy the 8.35 / 435 S custom pads.
The second option would be to put a rounded piece of felt material on the net protector that covers the driver. Or a foam, like the one that covers the HD-650 drivers.

Felt sounds more natural.
beerchug.gif

3242019647_3f78d9a11d_o.jpg

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #90 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Similar program for Canadian will be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Puh - - -leese
biggrin.gif
We both have the required number of posts and excellent feedback here on head-fi - what's the chance of gettin' we Canucks into the program?
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back