General use headphones?
Jun 20, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AnAgeOldProb

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a general use headphone for my computer, preferably unambed. I want something closed back, or that I can use in a dorm room with my roommate, in the ~$150 price range. I prefer circum aural headphones, super aurals are uncomfortable to me. For reference, I have Shure SE 535s for portable use (which is where I do most of my listening) and enjoy the Shure house sound a lot. I mostly listen to Rock and Metal, but I also do a fair bit of gaming and movie watching with the computer.

Options that I have been looking at:

Cheaper

Audio Technica A700 (The AD700s are also in play if someone can comment if the isolation is sufficent)

Mid Range

Audio Technica M50
Audio Technica A900 (Same thing with AD900s as the AD700s)
Shure 840
Sennheiser HD598
Beyer 770

Pricey

Shure 940
Beyer 880 (not sure which ohm to get)
Sennheiser H600

EDIT: Added Sennheiser 598, Beyer 770

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 12
The AD700 / an open can would be fine if other people aren't in incredibly close proximity (a few feet) and you listen at a reasonable volume.  Having said that though,  the AD700 really don't mesh well with most metal and I'd extend the same to the HD600-- they just aren't forward enough.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Out of this list, I have only own the 840s, but I can vouch for their performance; I have yet to be disappointed by anything that I throw at them. I bought them as a supplement to my E500s (now broken, I have a pair of SE535s enroute currently!) Compared to the E500s, from what I can recall, the sound is a little different but pleasantly so. The roll off that I noticed in the E500's highs is definitely gone in the 840s, there is a nice twinkle in the treble. Base impact seems to be about the same, and the mids don't seem to be as full as the E500s were, but it's a nice change of pace to have a nice balanced spectrum, while still possessing the qualities that I love about the Shure sound. 

They isolate very, very well. I have to play music at an absurd volume for them to start to leak sound. And in terms of durability these guys are built like a tank. I've been pretty rough on them (throwing them in my backpack as I bike and walk across campus, sleeping in them, couple of drops) for the past two years and these things don't even have a scratch on them. This is a very good quality that I think all general purpose headphones should possess. 

I have used them un-amped for the majority of the two years that I have owned them and have been content with that and have not felt the need to upgrade. That said, I recently bought a modest NuForce uDac2 and the 840s responded phenomenally. Really, everything over the entire spectrum improved while amped. Is it needed? No, definitely not, but if you ever get the upgrade bug like I did, it's amazing how a small investment (I spent 50 dollars on the amp) can cure it.

The only qualm I could see people having with this phone is that it does look a tad goofy, there's a pressure spot on the top of the head due to an awkward headband design, it's rather heavy (truly, it's a tank), and the cable is coiled. They do sound a bit closed as well, but then again they are closed headphones.

I don't mind the goofiness of the headphones so much, I actually find it's a great conversation piece. I also don't mind the coiled cable so much either; it makes portability much easier than having to deal with a straight cable. I did experience the pressure point/heaviness that people have complained about though, but I will say that this did not really bother me and I got very used to it to the point where I don't even notice any discomfort after two years of use.

Nothing but praise for these. You can pick em up for $130, and they compete with headphones that can be had for $500, even better when you amp em! If I had the choice would I buy them again? Yes, I would. I should have my se535s by Friday if you want me to do a quick back and forth between the two.

Oh, another quick point. I listen to mostly soft rock/easy listening/acoustic/vocal centric music, but still very much enjoy the Shure sound just like you do.

hopes this helps, cheers! 

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Out of this list, I have only own the 840s, but I can vouch for their performance; I have yet to be disappointed by anything that I throw at them. I bought them as a supplement to my E500s (now broken, I have a pair of SE535s enroute currently!) Compared to the E500s, from what I can recall, the sound is a little different but pleasantly so. The roll off that I noticed in the E500's highs is definitely gone in the 840s, there is a nice twinkle in the treble. Base impact seems to be about the same, and the mids don't seem to be as full as the E500s were, but it's a nice change of pace to have a nice balanced spectrum, while still possessing the qualities that I love about the Shure sound. 

They isolate very, very well. I have to play music at an absurd volume for them to start to leak sound. And in terms of durability these guys are built like a tank. I've been pretty rough on them (throwing them in my backpack as I bike and walk across campus, sleeping in them, couple of drops) for the past two years and these things don't even have a scratch on them. This is a very good quality that I think all general purpose headphones should possess. 

I have used them un-amped for the majority of the two years that I have owned them and have been content with that and have not felt the need to upgrade. That said, I recently bought a modest NuForce uDac2 and the 840s responded phenomenally. Really, everything over the entire spectrum improved while amped. Is it needed? No, definitely not, but if you ever get the upgrade bug like I did, it's amazing how a small investment (I spent 50 dollars on the amp) can cure it.

The only qualm I could see people having with this phone is that it does look a tad goofy, there's a pressure spot on the top of the head due to an awkward headband design, it's rather heavy (truly, it's a tank), and the cable is coiled. They do sound a bit closed as well, but then again they are closed headphones.

I don't mind the goofiness of the headphones so much, I actually find it's a great conversation piece. I also don't mind the coiled cable so much either; it makes portability much easier than having to deal with a straight cable. I did experience the pressure point/heaviness that people have complained about though, but I will say that this did not really bother me and I got very used to it to the point where I don't even notice any discomfort after two years of use.

Nothing but praise for these. You can pick em up for $130, and they compete with headphones that can be had for $500, even better when you amp em! If I had the choice would I buy them again? Yes, I would. I should have my se535s by Friday if you want me to do a quick back and forth between the two.

Oh, another quick point. I listen to mostly soft rock/easy listening/acoustic/vocal centric music, but still very much enjoy the Shure sound just like you do.

hopes this helps, cheers! 

Very informative, thanks! I look forward to your comparision.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 12
You want to know about AD700's and isolation?  

What isolation?  There is none!  Its a very open can with a huge soundstage and light base.  Its somewhat detailed but not very detailed.  Not shrill or anything like that, but not exactly super smooth either.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
You want to know about AD700's and isolation?  

What isolation?  There is none!  Its a very open can with a huge soundstage and light base.  Its somewhat detailed but not very detailed.  Not shrill or anything like that, but not exactly super smooth either.

It's mostly isolation in terms of, "will my room mate hear it 10ft away?"

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 12
I think the HD600 and the DT880 need amps, at least mine do but I have the 600ohm. But from what Ive read even the 32 ohm are kinda hard to drive. They are also both open/semi open I also have the M50 they are by far the most recommended cans on headfi cause they do everything well and work great with any source. I'm happy listening to a little Clash or the Doors and then messing some dudes up on CoD with the M50. If youre adding the 598 might as well add the 558.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Definitely stay away from Grados if you're concerned about waking up your room mate... 
basshead.gif

If you like Shure's sound, try the SRH840 or the Sennheiser HD600. I don't know how much the HD600's leak though.

[size=medium]

Quote:
I think the HD600 and the DT880 need amps, at least mine do but I have the 600ohm. But from what Ive read even the 32 ohm are kinda hard to drive. They are also both open/semi open I also have the M50 they are by far the most recommended cans on headfi cause they do everything well and work great with any source. I'm happy listening to a little Clash or the Doors and then messing some dudes up on CoD with the M50. If youre adding the 598 might as well add the 558.

You will need an amp for the HD600. The Fiio E9 is a good low-cost option.
[/size]

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
It's mostly isolation in terms of, "will my room mate hear it 10ft away?"

open cans actually won't cause problem to surroundings at normal listen volume imo, the sound fades out very 'quickly'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back