Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,106 of 13,800
  i missed this, you have received a pulse ??

No, but I've heard the Pulse Xfi/LPS combo in a non-controlled environment and I really enjoyed what I heard. I own the GO SE which is pretty much a mini Pulse fi.

Sorry... I misread your original post. When you said "other options that require additional funds" I thought that you were referring to the USB cables.

That was what I was saying at the time. A Pulse with an LPS and a single USB will sound fine. You'll get a marginal upgrade by adding a second USB to the equation and you'll get a marginal upgrade over that using an even higher bandwidth USB cable like the 2G. The "other options" will sound better but will cost more. And in the realm of high end audio most improvements are subtle.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #3,107 of 13,800

No, but I've heard the Pulse Xfi/LPS combo in a non-controlled environment and I really enjoyed what I heard. I own the GO SE which is pretty much a mini Pulse fi.

That was what I was saying at the time. A Pulse with an LPS and a single USB will sound fine. You'll get a marginal upgrade by adding a second USB to the equation and you'll get a marginal upgrade over that using an even higher bandwidth USB cable like the 2G. The "other options" will sound better but will cost more. And in the realm of high end audio most improvements are subtle.

i got confused, i was thinking "pulse SE" as in single ended

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #3,108 of 13,800

the GO SE is dual-mono, has a 3 layer elastic buffer for USB and balanced outputs?
(just kidding)

beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,109 of 13,800
I think a good quality cable can make a difference, but the best cable is no cable. So, I'm having good luck with a 6" Belkin Gold ($7) and a 6" Mediabridge USB extension (for the GeekOut). It's so short that I am less concerned with voltage drop, noise emission/absorption, impedance tolerances, and impedance based digital "reflections" which cause jitter. Less is more IMO... :wink:

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,110 of 13,800
  I think a good quality cable can make a difference, but the best cable is no cable. So, I'm having good luck with a 6" Belkin Gold ($7) and a 6" Mediabridge USB extension (for the GeekOut). It's so short that I am less concerned with voltage drop, noise emission/absorption, impedance tolerances, and impedance based digital "reflections" which cause jitter. Less is more IMO... :wink:

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the 2G, if you ordered one!

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,111 of 13,800

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the 2G, if you ordered one!

No, I'm pretty happy with what I have. Also, that is too much cable - and far to bright - for me to use it in my open console. Back when we were discussing cables for the campaign I pushed for a short jumper cable but nothing ever came of it so the 6" cables I'm using are clean and tidy.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3,112 of 13,800
Far too bright as in cable color, lime green, or too bright sounding?  If sounding, then you have heard it, correct?

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,113 of 13,800
Casey must have cracked the whip , my 2g cable has shipped ! There's progress!

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3,114 of 13,800
The total $'s contributed has disappeared from the Geek Pulse IGG campaign page - now it just says "Act Now! This campaign has ended, and is still offering perks."

Wonder what is up? I was kind of having fun watching it tick up towards $2M!

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3,115 of 13,800
That's a pretty hefty discount on the IEMs they are offering. I don't particularly like sticking things in my ear but considering the retail price (if it will even retail for that much), seems like a good deal.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #3,116 of 13,800
  That's a pretty hefty discount on the IEMs they are offering. I don't particularly like sticking things in my ear but considering the retail price (if it will even retail for that much), seems like a good deal.

Yeah, it's a pretty low risk investment, especially if you live in the States (and avoid the $15 international shipping charge). 

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #3,117 of 13,800
For the chaps that ordered the Pulse + HiFiMAN bundle and are concerned with customs and import tax, I just learned from Manny that the HE-560 will be declared at $779. Seems that they are going ahead with declaring all Pulses at $189, so to calculate your HiFiMAN just deduct that amount from the bundle amount. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,118 of 13,800

Like all cable comparisons from hifi sources, the testing protocols and methods are not specified. i.e. the most notable things are switching times, trial number, sample size; heck they say it's a blind test but they don't list any procedures for how the blind test was conducted; likewise, they say the different volumes perceived are the result of the cable, which would make the test unfair to begin with, similar to analogue cables having different resistance values and thus different perceived volume of things

I'd take that article with a few kilograms of salt.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #3,119 of 13,800
Like all cable comparisons from hifi sources, the testing protocols and methods are not specified. i.e. the most notable things are switching times, trial number, sample size; heck they say it's a blind test but they don't list any procedures for how the blind test was conducted; likewise, they say the different volumes perceived are the result of the cable, which would make the test unfair to begin with, similar to analogue cables having different resistance values and thus different perceived volume of things

I'd take that article with a few kilograms of salt.

Not exactly precise scientific method, but at least they tried some comparisons, which is more than most do.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,120 of 13,800

Yes, my opinion is that all cables will do harm to the signal, the difference is which do the least...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back