Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,076 of 13,800
  Brian, you need to be the official historian for this IGG campaign...
biggrin.gif

Totally agree! Brian for Historian! Four more years, four more years...

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,077 of 13,800
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #3,079 of 13,800
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,082 of 13,800
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #3,085 of 13,800

Define "needed". 
L3000.gif

"If you dont get a USB cable of this / similar quality why are you spending money of a high end DAC???"

-- or --

Not getting these cables or similar high end cables will create a noticeable noise and create a weak point in a Geek Pulse X + LPS4 + HE 560 system

If either holds true then I'll get em. If a monster USB cable works i'll put out a WTB on my local forum to save exchange rates / post. (Australia here)

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #3,086 of 13,800
So was the consensus that the 1G cable is needed?  I have the LPS4 coming so i'd need 2x 1G cables i guess

You can get the 2G cable which is a splitter so you don't have to get 2 1G cables.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #3,088 of 13,800
If you want to run through the LPS I'd advise having 2 USB cables of identical or at least similar quality. The reasoning is that with 2 different cables one will effectively become a bottleneck and reduce any quality advantage the better one has. I have 2 Lightspeed Jr 1G cables coming; one included with the Pulse and one I ordered separately when I backed the LPS. You don't need to step up to the 2G to have a killer system. Sure the 2G has improvements but if you're looking to save some money for now go with two 1G cables.

Alternatively you can stick with a single 1G cable and bypass the LPS completely. Then the LPS just provides power to the Pulse and doesn't try to clean out the noise from the USB controller. It'll still sound great, again just not as nice as the other options that require additional funds.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,089 of 13,800
  If you want to run through the LPS I'd advise having 2 USB cables of identical or at least similar quality. The reasoning is that with 2 different cables one will effectively become a bottleneck and reduce any quality advantage the better one has. I have 2 Lightspeed Jr 1G cables coming; one included with the Pulse and one I ordered separately when I backed the LPS. You don't need to step up to the 2G to have a killer system. Sure the 2G has improvements but if you're looking to save some money for now go with two 1G cables.

Alternatively you can stick with a single 1G cable and bypass the LPS completely. Then the LPS just provides power to the Pulse and doesn't try to clean out the noise from the USB controller. It'll still sound great, again just not as nice as the other options that require additional funds.

Cheers, I'll grab 2x 1G cables as the separate power run sounds like a great idea. Monster cables wont have that.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #3,090 of 13,800

Define "needed". 
L3000.gif

"If you dont get a USB cable of this / similar quality why are you spending money of a high end DAC???"

-- or --

Not getting these cables or similar high end cables will create a noticeable noise and create a weak point in a Geek Pulse X + LPS4 + HE 560 system

If either holds true then I'll get em. If a monster USB cable works i'll put out a WTB on my local forum to save exchange rates / post. (Australia here)

I am still looking for *any* evidence that a digital cable affects sound.  And by "any evidence" I mean either:

1.  An explanation that my poor brain can understand.

2.  A trial that my poor ears can listen any difference.

So far, alas, I have not found any.  If people have (1), please share.  As of (2), I'll keep looking in head-fi meetings.  And, of course, I'll receive a 1G cable when my pulse eventually arrives.  I'll try an A/B against a cheap USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back