Gaming + Music closed headphones ~$200
Feb 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Maybe you can describe what you mean by "sound like absolute rubbish" so he can determine if that's what he's experiencing. If its bass distortion on very low sub-bass at high volume and starting in the right channel then its the 770s.

Of course, at lower volumes the bass and rest of the sound seems to be in balance... as the volume increases, the bass loses control and sounds 'clunky' and loses slam, mids and highs start to become audibly worse. If you were able to test it, the amp would be giving out square waves on a scope at this point. It's like when I plug my lcd-2's into my PC card, they sound worse than a set of apple ibuds.

A previous poster basically mirrored this by saying he doesn't notice this through his titanium HS but is using an external amplifier. Think about something like a schiit magni?

Also, how loud do you listen to these at? You mention very high volumes and wanting to feel the impact on your ears. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Of course, at lower volumes the bass and rest of the sound seems to be in balance... as the volume increases, the bass loses control and sounds 'clunky' and loses slam, mids and highs start to become audibly worse. If you were able to test it, the amp would be giving out square waves on a scope at this point. It's like when I plug my lcd-2's into my PC card, they sound worse than a set of apple ibuds.

A previous poster basically mirrored this by saying he doesn't notice this through his titanium HS but is using an external amplifier. Think about something like a schiit magni?

Also, how loud do you listen to these at? You mention very high volumes and wanting to feel the impact on your ears. 

Right, so it comes down to what he means when he says they distort. If it matches your description its the sound card / sound card amp. If it matches my description its the 770s.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Right, so it comes down to what he means when he says they distort. If it matches your description its the sound card / sound card amp. If it matches my description its the 770s.

beerchug.gif

I'm wondering if he needs a set of audio technica AD700mk2's which is like strapping a pair of 12" subs to your head....

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #34 of 65
@SkilleT:

Don't forget, "sound enchancements" and EQ'ing can also cause distortion. Disable them to see if it helps.

Control Panel > Sound > Highlight your sound card > Properties > Enhancements > check 'Disable all sound effects'

And turn off any EQ settings you may have enabled in your audio player.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 65
it happen to the bass and also to the voice on high volumes only.

I don't know what is "subbass" as all i know is bass and it distort along with the voice in some songs only the bass.

PS: Trust me, I disabled everything except for the "SURROUND" because I need it in gaming.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #36 of 65
Sub-bass just refers to the very lowest bass notes. If its distorting at any other point in the frequency range (such as vocals) then its something different from (or in addition to) the bass distortion I described. fortitude is right, you may want to get your hands on an external amplifier and see if you can get rid of the distortion that way.

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #38 of 65
I was going to say, I think the 990s would be a great choice for you. My guess is that the bass distortion will be gone but some of the distortion of vocals will remain. If so, snag an external amplifier like fortitude advised. Let us know what happens and if you need an amp we can provide suggestions.

Congrats on the 990s! :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #40 of 65
Right. But it might be an issue of sound *quality* rather than just volume. Let us know how the 990s do and we can go from there. I think you'll love them.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #42 of 65
UPDATE:

So I just got it 20 minutes ago.

- I got annoyed by the cable....as I use PC and its annoying..

-The BASS is there but its not as the DT770 PROs nor its comparable AT ALL.

-In the DT770PROS I feel like the bass want to escape from my ears and thus it make the headphones shake on my head !!!

-This headphone does not distort AT ALL.

-The treble is extremely annoying.

Also note that all enhancements are disabled except for the SURROUND.

I have a song that I test the speakers with and its this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KipH9GLuiiI SEEK TO 4:27

You will see what I mean by the bass is close to non existance.

I guess I will get the DT770 PRO again and live with low volumes so it won't distort or better yet get the Creative Aurvana Live! ?

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #43 of 65
Denon D2000s and Sony XB 500/700/1000 have equal, if not better, bass but don't distort. They're also not as bright.

Try the M-Audio Q40s as well. They definitely have stronger bass than your average headphone but don't have as much as the Denons, Sonys, or Beyers. They're more accurate than the Beyers and Sonys though from what I remember. They also don't distort like the DT770s.

You have to understand that the bass you are describing is basically distorted bass. So finding a set that has the qualities you're looking for is rare if not impossible. I think the Denons , Q40s, and Sonys perform better than the Beyers in that regard though.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #44 of 65
So I was correct and it wasn't only me that hear distortion on the DT770 PRO correct ?

I mean its common among the DT770 ? Even the 250OHM version ?

I was thinking that the 250 OHM version have more POWER to drive the BASS, am I correct ?

Also I use them for gaming so I don't really think the XB 500 is good for gaming. Add to that. none of them have VELOUR pads....

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #45 of 65
That's strange, the 990 is supposed to have more bass than the 770. You might be mistaking less bass impact for less bass quantity. Open-back cans inherently have less bass impact since there's nothing for the bass to bounce off of but they also usually have less bass distortion because of the ample air flow.

If bass impact is your main concern I would recommend you give the Ultrasones a try or try one of the other "basshead" cans (including the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro which I've heard has little to no distortion):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

EDIT: tselliottt made some good suggestions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back