Gaming + Music closed headphones ~$200
Feb 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

SKilleT

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I returned the Titanium HD soundcard and the DT770 PRO-80 because it distort A LOT on high volumes.

Now I got the Creative Sound Blaster Z and I am happy with it.

However, I am without headphones.

I need headphones that have similar bass as in the DT770 that make my head shake.....but at the same time I don't want it to DISTORT.

I want the headphones to be also CLOSED and COMFORTABLE and under $200.

Thanks.

I am thinking about the:

-DT990 PRO 250OHMS(if it doesn't distort + I know they are open but if they are similar to the DT770 I would go for them).
-V-Moda LP2.
-AKG Tiesto K167.

PS:No I don't want the Sony XB500 nor the Shure ones.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 65
Quote:
I returned the Titanium HD sound card and the DT770 PRO-80 because it distort A LOT on high volumes.
Now I got the Creative Sound Blaster Z and I am happy with it.
However, I am without headphones.
I need headphones that have similar bass as in the DT770 that make my head shake.....but at the same time I don't want it to DISTORT.
I want the headphones to be also CLOSED and COMFORTABLE and under $200.
I am thinking about the:
-DT990 PRO 250OHMS(if it doesn't distort + I know they are open but if they are similar to the DT770 I would go for them).
-V-Moda LP2.
-AKG Tiesto K167.
PS:No I don't want the Sony XB500 nor the Shure ones.

I would have though adding an external headphone amplifier between the Ti-HD and DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would have improved audio quality.
But your happy with the SB Z, cool.
I do prefer to use the DT990s over the DT770s
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm is full bass & full treble and slightly recessed mids, but vocals are clear.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 65
Will it distort with high volumes like the DT770 PRO-80 ?

I do believe the AMP that came with the Creative Sound Blaster Z is a good one and support headphones with up to 600OHM.

But the thing is I like high volume and good bass(like the DT770). Will the DT990 PRO-250 give me that ?

It's for $199.99 on Amazon same price as the DT770 PRO-80.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 65
AT a700x or M-audio Q40. They don't have as much bass as the Beyers, but the bass is part of the reason the sounds distort. The Q40 has better bass, but the a900x has better imaging.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 65
What reviews are you talking about? 3/5 stars is really vague. There are so many variables. Who reviewed it? What is their average review score? What headphones did they score higher than 3/5? What kind of tests did they put it through? What genres of music did they test it with? Did they test it for gaming? So many questions.... Unless this review was done by someone very experienced who you completely trust then I wouldn't base your buying decision off of it. There are tons of reviews out on the internet by people who don't even know what they're talking about or don't have the experience necessary to come to a trustworthy conclusion.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 65
Look for reviews on the Pro550 instead. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 65
here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-pro-750/reviews

Also the reason why I looked on these is because the have velour pads.

The Ultrasones PRO 580 dont think they have velour pads.....

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 65
Those reviews are generally favorable and the average is 4/5 stars. Whether or not you will like them depends more on what you're looking for. All I can tell you is that they are very comfortable, they're very durable, they are a bit bright but not as bright as some of those reviews would make you think, they have some of the punchiest bass you'll find, and they don't distort at all.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:
Bass similar or better than the DT770 ?

and you are talking about the Ultrasones 750 or the 580 ? and the 750 have velour pads right ?

Talking about the 750. They do have velour pads and are very comfortable. I can't comment on the comfort of the Ultrasones with leather/pleather pads as I haven't tried them. I listen to my headphones for several hours at a time and I hate sweaty ears so I stay away from headphones with leather/pleather ear pads.

The bass is more emphasized on the 750 compared to the 770 and is more controlled and better textured. Overall the 750s have a more in-your-face presentation compared to the 770s and a bit more narrow soundstage. The overall tonal accuracy is better on the 770s but if you're looking for really strong and punchy bass that doesn't distort then I think you'd be happier with the PRO 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back