Gaming Headset - Specific questions
Feb 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dakkon

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi!

I was directed here to ask some questions since you guys are the experts in sound and headphones. Currently, I'm running a logitech ClearChat which has been doing the job and its wireless but its starting to break after a year and a half or so of use so I'm looking into getting something new.

Some specifics on what I'm looking to spend and what I have currently.

1. Right now I have onboard RealTek ALC889
  2. I currently have a Logitech Wireless ClearChat that uses USB.
  3. I'm not planning on buying a soundcard so its going to be using Onboard or USB.
  4. I'm willing to spend up to 200 dollars
  5. I really dont want to use a standalone mic like a standup microphone I like everything being right on the headpiece so its easy to use. I've never used the clip-on ones so I'm not to sure how those work especially since I'm going to be using onboard sound if I have one of these.
  6. This is mainly being used for Ventrillo chat with friends that I talk to daily and playing games. I spend a lot of time on the computer probably around 4 hours a day at the least so I want the headset to also be comfortable.
  7. I'd also like something of good quality that wont break after six months. Spending 100s of dollars on a headset only to have it break / wires go bad / ear piece goes out is not a good investment. I don't do anything irrational with my headsets as I leave them attached to the computer and place them on the desk.

With that listed I'm hoping I can get some good insight on to what I should pickup or just any suggestions for what I should pickup. I'm willing to give in on the clip-on if I can learn a little bit more about them and how well they work but right now it seems like they would fall off easy or wires would get tangled etc. I could be wrong on that as I know nothing about them.

I like sound but I'm not looking for something that is like the most amazing sound in the world or anything since if I wanted that I'd be asking for a soundcard too.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 21
Avoid clip ons for extensive voice chat. They introduce a ton of background noise.

In that price range, I'd go Sennheiser PC 360. Not absolutely amazing, but a very good all-rounder. The mic is probably the highest quality mic I've heard. Both a friend and I use the PC 350 (same headset, but closed...only get this one if you need sound isolation), and it's easy to tell we have the best mic through vent.

Otherwise, the only ones I've tried that I've liked are Plantronics headsets, which would run you under $50. I did not like the Syberia V2, or the Razer Megalodon. Logitech headsets I've tried have all been really terrible. My $30 Plantronics Audio 370 is worlds better than all of those listed above. Aside from the fact that the mic will not stay up anymore, it's probably the best headset I've ever heard for the money. It's not as good as the Sennheiser, but it's value is really hard to ignore. It's also by far the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

What matters most for gaming: comfort, non fatiguing sound. Both the PC360 and Plantronics do fairly well in this regard

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 21
Once you are spending that much on headphones, a dedicated sound card starts paying off dividends. You shouldn't really just cross out the option if possible.

Also, you are probably going have to look into a stand alone microphone, because you are probably going to get recommended some headphones designed for studio/audiophile (music basically) use.
Most of the big name headphone manufacturers thrown around on this forum don't make headsets with attached mics or built in usb terminations. 
Basically, only pc peripheral companies make what you are looking for, not the dedicated audio gear companies.
But who knows, maybe the stuff that razer, steelseries, logitech, and company make sounds good. They are generally looked down upon though.

There a lot of options in the 200 dollar range. You can honestly get some pretty decent stuff  above the 100$ price point. Maybe spend 120 or so on headphones and the rest on a sound card or usb DAC.

Anyways I think if use the search you can find some more suggestions.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 21

There's no real reason to go standalone when the PC 360 is an HD 595 with a very high quality mic attached to it. Onboard sound will have zero problems driving it.

If you value voice quality over Ventrilo, you do not want to get a standalone mine. Clip-ons introduce far too much background noise, and tabletops are far too inconvenient for gaming.

Quote:
Once you are spending that much on headphones, a dedicated sound card starts paying off dividends. You shouldn't really just cross out the option if possible.

Also, you are probably going have to look into a stand alone microphone, because you are probably going to get recommended some headphones designed for studio/audiophile (music basically) use.
Most of the big name headphone manufacturers thrown around on this forum don't make headsets with attached mics or built in usb terminations. 
Basically, only pc peripheral companies make what you are looking for, not the dedicated audio gear companies.
But who knows, maybe the stuff that razer, steelseries, logitech, and company make sounds good. They are generally looked down upon though.

There a lot of options in the 200 dollar range. You can honestly get some pretty decent stuff  above the 100$ price point. Maybe spend 120 or so on headphones and the rest on a sound card or usb DAC.

Anyways I think if use the search you can find some more suggestions.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
There's no real reason to go standalone when the PC 360 is an HD 595 with a very high quality mic attached to it. Onboard sound will have zero problems driving it.

If you value voice quality over Ventrilo, you do not want to get a standalone mine. Clip-ons introduce far too much background noise, and tabletops are far too inconvenient for gaming.

Quote:

So you would recommend getting the PC 360 and using on-board sound vs a USB driven one. I'm not to sure how good the on-board is but I would have to think its somewhat decent for on-board sound. Not sure if there is much of a difference in my on-board sound vs USB since all I know is that its RealTek ALC889. I know I'm not going to get the best quality in the world since I'm not using an actual sound card which I'm fine with. How is the durability on the PC 360 I know in the past I've read about people going through multiple copies of certain headsets such as the G35 where they break in certain weak spots.

Well good to know about the Clip-On mics I really didn't want to get one of those anyways as I'd like everything to just be built in to one piece and be hassle free. I also agree on the tabletops being inconvenient. Are you sure that the on-board sound card can handle the PC360 or PC350? I've read reviews that on-board sound can't handle these very well since it takes more ohms? I got this from an amazon review so not sure how true it is.

I've also notice that the PC360 is around 250 dollars where the PC350 is around 180 dollars. Whats the big difference between the two? I would imagine its something big considering the price difference.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 21
I wouldn't go USB. I do believe onboard is just as good as any cheap USB solution I've tried. On the plus side, if ever you do get a better soundcard or an amp, then you can use your non-USB headset on those.

These days, onboard is actually not half bad. In fact, I notice no difference in between my onboard and my Audigy 2 ZS other than volume levels.

The onboard audio on both my Gigabyte P67A-UD4 (Realtek ALC892) drives my PC 350 just fine. The only reason I'm not using them at the moment is that I had them to the side of my bed and and stepped on them with all my weight one morning, so the cup broke off. I need some epoxy to glue it back on...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 21
Ok I won't go with the USB ones then. So I take it the PC360 will work fine with on-board to then? Not sure the difference between mine and your on-board sound since the numbers are close just want to make sure its going to work with my board. (GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA1366)

Also, do you know any difference between the PC360 / PC 350 for the big price difference? If the PC360 is better for comfort/quality I will get it but it there is some other silly difference I see no reason to dish out an extra 80 dollars for the same thing.

Sorry for all the questions I just really wanna make sure I get the best for what I'm asking for!

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Ok I won't go with the USB ones then. So I take it the PC360 will work fine with on-board to then? Not sure the difference between mine and your on-board sound since the numbers are close just want to make sure its going to work with my board. (GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA1366)

Also, do you know any difference between the PC360 / PC 350 for the big price difference? If the PC360 is better for comfort/quality I will get it but it there is some other silly difference I see no reason to dish out an extra 80 dollars for the same thing.

Sorry for all the questions I just really wanna make sure I get the best for what I'm asking for!

I believe the 350 is closed while the 360 is open and they have different drivers. Then some cosmetic differences.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 21
Ok so it sounds like the PC-360 is the optimal choice here as long as they work with on-board. There is no way to tell 100% before buying them if they will work with my board I take it?

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 21
As long as your mobo has a headphone and a mic jack, there shouldn't be any problem.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 21
If the PC 360 is essentially a HD 595 with a mic, why does it cost $100+ more? The 595 is only about $140 on Amazon, but the PC 360 is listed at like $250, though it does appear to be sold out at the moment.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 21
I think it's 180 on ebay from a.n authorized dealer.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 21
Prolly more than you wanted to spend but I love my Beyerdynamic MMX 300's. Built in mic, closed headphones.  Sick sound and the mic works great.

I use mine for Xbox but they are a PC headset.  Bought them from earphonesolutions.com for $250 but I think they are back up to $300 now.  Commitment ma' man!

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 21
The pc 360 looks unavailable from a lot of major e-tailers. sennheiser may be replacing or upgrading with a new model, like the new hd 5x8 series. Or it may just be supply issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back