gaming headphones up to $100?
Aug 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

skinnyq

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I want headphones purely for gaming and I can spend up to $100. My problem is that my soundcard is onboard and I don't have enough money to get both a soundcard and a headset. I read that the ATH-AD700 are pretty good, but does that hold true even when the soundcard is onboard? What would be my best option? (Maybe USB headphones?)

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
Hi guys, I want headphones purely for gaming and I can spend up to $100. My problem is that my soundcard is onboard and I don't have enough money to get both a soundcard and a headset. I read that the ATH-AD700 are pretty good, but does that hold true even when the soundcard is onboard? What would be my best option? (Maybe USB headphones?)

Kind of tough without knowing who makes your soundcard, and what headphones you normally like.  There is no "best" in something this subjective, anymore than there's a "best" in sub-$100 wine, or cognac, or clothes, or restaurants.

I will say, in my personal experience, barring extreme circumstances, the vast majority of your money ought to be spend on the 'phones themselves, THEN the amp, then the source last.  As long as your onboard soundcard gets the job done in terms of volume without audible distortion, I doubt your money would be better spent dividing it between a soundcard and a separate pair of 'phones (unless the headphones you like best just happen to be very inexpensive).

Anyway, care to give us an idea of headphones you like and don't like?  That would probably be helpful in aiding you to make a decision. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 12
You should be fine with either the ATH AD700's, or ATH M50's. Both are easy to drive, and while you may not have the best of the best sound quality, you should be fine with an onboard soundcard. I know I'm content with mine, which is ~4 years old already.

Would there be a noticeable difference if you had a soundcard? Yes. But that doesn't mean your whole gaming experience is going to suck without one.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether your soundcard is onboard or not; the AD700 will beat anything for gaming at this price point and far above it.

Once again it all comes down to what he personally enjoys, great soundstage isn't everything. I mean you should enjoy the sound coming out of the cans as well.

What if he want's a little more bass?
RX700/900

Those would be better choices, what's better for you isn't always better for us.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 12
ATH-AD700 to the rescue. Best headphones for gaming I have tried to date. Much better than the DT880 imo. Dt880 may sound a bit more fun, but I don't game to have fun. I game because I am either bored or want to own noobs
biggrin.gif
 Can't have fun in multiplayer fps games now anyway. Full of 8 year olds who think swearing their heads off is cool, as well as hacking and noob tubing.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
ATH-AD700 to the rescue. Best headphones for gaming I have tried to date. Much better than the DT880 imo. Dt880 may sound a bit more fun, but I don't game to have fun. I game because I am either bored or want to own noobs
biggrin.gif
 Can't have fun in multiplayer fps games now anyway. Full of 8 year olds who think swearing their heads off is cool, as well as hacking and noob tubing.

Your doing it wrong, or at least that's how I'd feel.
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Lol well it is multiplayer FPS. Very competitive in my eyes. I used to game to have fun, but that stopped when I was about 13 and begun playing online FPS games and realised you gotta try and all the abuse thrown around when you lose is not fun at all, so I became very competitive. I don't seem to find anything fun now lol. Just my age I suppose. Being 16 and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back