Gaming headphones (not AD700)
Sep 16, 2011 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DKits

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

As you can tell I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will be primarily used for gaming. I've looked at the AD700 but from what I've heard they've got a great soundstage, but anemic bass? I'm not into the whole call-of-duty-listen-for-footsteps-twitch-shooter genre of FPSs, so what I'm looking for is a decent soundstage but with more oomph and lows in the bass department for explosions, gunfire, etcetera, etcetera (stuff you're more likely to hear in Battlefield games hint hint). Now I'm no audiophile by any means, I've only recently discovered this community so please bear with me. I just want to get a good setup going for gaming at home on the console.

People seem to recommend the Sennheiser 598s or 550s for gaming as opposed to the AD700s? (But what's the difference between those models!?) or the DT770s all though those are more pricey. Also I'm fairly sure I would prefer open-air for the comfort factor because I'm sure my ears would get pretty hot, but if that would mean suffering in the sound quality (not sure if it will, I know it depends on what kind of sound you're going for) then I'll go for closed-air. Either way, whatever works, works for me 
biggrin.gif

So all in all I was wondering if there were any other headphones out there that are comparable in sound quality, but could possible be cheaper than the $150-175ish range of the senn HDs and beyer DTs. OR just any alternatives to them in general? Just trying to see my options.

Thanks a lot for any input! (hate to be leech with all the q's)
Dave

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Heya,

Music to my ears, haha. Glad you want some real sound.

Your new headphone: Fischer Audio FA-011

All the positioning, sound stage, and great full warm rich bassy sound in a beautiful wood back open-air setup. Very nice looking. Excellent for gaming, great for movies and really good for all genres of music.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 14
If you decide not to go with the Fischers, my Grado SR225s were 175 on amazon in the Used - Like New section. great sound stage, Great highs and low but still has some bass kick. Just another option. Though had I not bought those, I'd be buying those Fischers right now.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Man! Thanks for the replies and the heads up Mal! Too bad I didn't check this earlier 
triportsad.gif
 that's me disappointed.. Haha. Any dealers I could possible pick these up from?? Besides gd audiobase? Don't know any good dealers and actually I'm not sure if that's considered deal spotting around here or if that's allowed. Thanks again!

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Man! Thanks for the replies and the heads up Mal! Too bad I didn't check this earlier 
triportsad.gif
 that's me disappointed.. Haha. Any dealers I could possible pick these up from?? Besides gd audiobase? Don't know any good dealers and actually I'm not sure if that's considered deal spotting around here or if that's allowed. Thanks again!

Heya,

I got mine from GD AudioBase. Shipping is $20 from Russia. Not bad at all. I would have paid $200 for these without question.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Most definitely go for the fa011. Hands down my favorite! ! I just bought one for $90 in the for sale area for my dad too lol. My only wish is to find a closed version with similar sound signature while retaining soundstage & airiness for a (semi) portable set up. I bought the fa04 from flysweep and consider it as my gym can. Has the great mids with awesome instrument separation but lacks the airy/soundstage still lol

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 14
My goto recommendation for gaming is the HD 598. They're $180 new on Amazon right now and they're an amazing headphone. Soundstage is huge, but bass is solid and nice. I primarily listen to EDM, so bass is important.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Ultrasone pro 550's are damn close, a bit brighter in the highs though but cleaner bass.

Quote:
Most definitely go for the fa011. Hands down my favorite! ! I just bought one for $90 in the for sale area for my dad too lol. My only wish is to find a closed version with similar sound signature while retaining soundstage & airiness for a (semi) portable set up. I bought the fa04 from flysweep and consider it as my gym can. Has the great mids with awesome instrument separation but lacks the airy/soundstage still lol

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

Were you the one who bought the $90 steal of a deal with the recabling?! You son of a gun 

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 14
lol, that wasn't me, i bought a non re-cabled one =P.  Mine was early last week lol

Quote:
Were you the one who bought the $90 steal of a deal with the recabling?! You son of a gun 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back