Gaming headphones for around $100
Aug 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Atranox

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been reading these forums for quite a well, but just decided to post today.  I'm currently using a Steelseries Siberia v2...which I'm pretty disappointed in overall.  I'm going to be purchasing a new set of headphones for gaming/ventrilo (and a little music) for somewhere around $100.

These are the headsets I have been looking at thus far -

AD700 - Everything that Ive read here suggests that these are the best for the price range.  However, I have also read that these are a poor choice for smaller heads.  My hat size is about 7 1/4 or so..so I am slightly concerned that these will be far too loose.

HD555 - A lot of people seem to use these and claim that they are pretty good for gaming.  However, a few have stated that the bass level is poor and that an amp may be needed (which I will not be purchasing).  I'm also unsure how these stack up with the RX900 in terms of sound stage & bass levels.

RX900 - Typically I wouldn't consider something in the $60-$70 range, but I have heard nothing but great things about this these headphones.  Most people that have used them have said that while they aren't as good a the AD700 overall, that they can be pretty close for gaming.  The bass is also supposedly pretty good.

Creative Arena - No idea on these.  I'm sure that the sound quality isn't as good as the three aforementioned headphones, but does anyone have personal experience using these?  This is pretty much my back-up plan since they would be "okay".

One final question - what would be a decent/cheap microphone to go along with a headset for ventrilo?  This was the one that I was looking at, but I have no clue how it's quality is considered to be. It's difficult to judge by NewEgg reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111601

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 3
For gaming I had tried Labtec, Logitec and IceMat. The first two had the boom mikes and were not at all comfortable for extended game sessions. The IceMat's were comfy with their big velour cushions and had a shirt collar clip mic. The funky cable system in the headband broke after a short while of use. Back they went. Son forgot to put mic into packaging and it then got extensive use and performed perfectly while laid next to keyboard. Stepped up to Senn 595's and in a nut shell they were perfect. No distortion during bomb blasts, could hear in game pins drop and directional sounds were eerily real. Go with the 555's and you should have similar performance. If you can find the IceMat mic solo in an auction for cheap I say it is worth a try. Good Luck... and Happy Gaming...

I am a pinhead 7 1/8 and Senn's fit fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back