Games soundtracks: anyone listens to them?
Dec 16, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #61 of 104
Quote:

Rizumu said...

Correct me if I'm wrong...but Macross Plus is an anime, right? Was there a game of it made?

It is first and foremost an anime, but there was also a game made for it on the Japanese PlayStation. I know the anime has wonderful music (Voices is indeed the best song from it, though I also love Information High, Idol Talk, and Borderline), but I'm not sure if that music carried over into the game.
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

Long live Nobuo Uematsu!

Agreed. Now, if he'd only re-do the entire FFIV soundtrack w/ an orchestra...

Dec 16, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #62 of 104
All of Yoko Kanno's music is amazing to me. She is incredibly versatile and not just that, but astoundingly good at every genre. She hasn't written any music for video games, though, since her early career.

Jun 25, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #64 of 104
i liked both xenogears and ff8.. so what if xeno had bad angles... it was a diamond in the rough.. and the only problem with ff8 was the mushiness... to much love... not enough hate!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #65 of 104
I love all Castlevania soundtracks, I listened to some Zone of the Enders which is pretty cool. I love Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger music.

Jun 26, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #66 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
i liked both xenogears and ff8.. so what if xeno had bad angles... it was a diamond in the rough.. and the only problem with ff8 was the mushiness... to much love... not enough hate!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Xenogears is an extremely overrated game. Pure and simple.

As for FF8, it just plain sucks. Square has lost their edge the same way Metallica has.

Jun 26, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #67 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
As for FF8, it just plain sucks. Square has lost their edge the same way Metallica has.

The music was cool though, unlike Metallica
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #68 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005

If you haven't played Xenogears then you haven't played the best RPG (plot and concept wise) ever. Also has a reputable soundtrack but most of it isn't very appealing to me.

I'm with you one this one, and it's really too few people that realise how great this game is. I enjoy mechas and they were incorporated really well in the game. Another unique feature it had before any other rpg was the combo system that is a good idea to make the battles more interactive. Xenogears is one of my all-time favorite rpgs.

Jun 26, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #69 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I'm with you one this one, and it's really too few people that realise how great this game is. I enjoy mechas and they were incorporated really well in the game. Another unique feature it had before any other rpg was the combo system that is a good idea to make the battles more interactive. Xenogears is one of my all-time favorite rpgs.

It's not that they didn't realize what a "great" game it was, but what an awful and overrated game it really is...still bugs the **** out of me that people actually enjoyed this dismal "RPG." One of Square's weakest titles out there by far. Interactive battle scenes? I found them to be flat out boring and repetitive, there was nothing intriguing about the battle system. Kinda reminded me of that was going on with RPG's with the 3DO back in the day. Final fantasy Tactics....that's a game. A really good game that deserves more credit than is due.

Why do people keep trumping this game up to something that it wasn't (ie. good)
confused.gif

(parting shot): the music sucked too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #70 of 104
Quote:

It's not that they didn't realize what a "great" game it was, but what an awful and overrated game it really is...still bugs the **** out of me that people actually enjoyed this dismal "RPG." One of Square's weakest titles out there by far. Interactive battle scenes? I found them to be flat out boring and repetitive, there was nothing intriguing about the battle system. Kinda reminded me of that was going on with RPG's with the 3DO back in the day. Final fantasy Tactics....that's a game. A really good game that deserves more credit than is due.

Why do people keep trumping this game up to something that it wasn't (ie. good)
confused.gif

(parting shot): the music sucked too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I find the story of Xenogears as something refreshingly new and quite dark for a Square rpg which I personally enjoyed. As for the battles being repetitive, I don't see how you could claim that when you enjoy the older final fantasy games which hardly had the most varying battles imaginable. Final fantasy tactics is certainly a good game too, but storywise it's nothing to write home about. And you're even wrong about the soundtrack, it's just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #71 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I find the story of Xenogears as something refreshingly new and quite dark for a Square rpg which I personally enjoyed. As for the battles being repetitive, I don't see how you could claim that when you enjoy the older final fantasy games which hardly had the most varying battles imaginable. Final fantasy tactics is certainly a good game too, but storywise it's nothing to write home about. And you're even wrong about the soundtrack, it's just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

I doubt i'm wrong about the soundtrack, i've listened to plenty
wink.gif

As for the battles, i hated them because i wound up spending (wasting is a better word) looking to get around in the game thanks to poor camera angles. In other words, too many battles, not enough time getting from point A to point B. Definitely a frustrating aspect of the game. As for older FF games, true...many battles, but many varying enemies with different attacks and spells (over 100 types of enemies in the first one alone), which made those older games a lot of fun. Plus, the FF1 was hella fun to play unlike Xenogears which was a chore (like FF7 was in many parts).
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #72 of 104
Quote:

I doubt i'm wrong about the soundtrack, i've listened to plenty
wink.gif

As for the battles, i hated them because i wound up spending (wasting is a better word) looking to get around in the game thanks to poor camera angles. In other words, too many battles, not enough time getting from point A to point B. Definitely a frustrating aspect of the game. As for older FF games, true...many battles, but many varying enemies with different attacks and spells (over 100 types of enemies in the first one alone), which made those older games a lot of fun. Plus, the FF1 was hella fun to play unlike Xenogears which was a chore (like FF7 was in many parts).
frown.gif

I found the music to be quite suitable for the game and while nothing outstanding I think it's pretty good. The camera angles didn't bother me that much as you can fully rotate it 360 degrees as far as I recall. One or two exits were a bit hard to find but nothing serious overall. I liked the combo system because it gives you the incentive to experiment and try different button combinations to learn more combos that you can dish out more damage with. That I find more interesting than getting several kind of elemental spells by just levelling. If you don't try to figure out new combos in Xenogears and just use the same ones all the time your characters won't get as strong as they can be even if they level up quite a bit. I guess some may find it more like hard work but I find it gives the battles more of a fighting game flavour rather than just simply choosing spells and actions and then passively wait for it to play out like you've seen in hundreds of other rpgs.

Jun 27, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #73 of 104
A few game soundtracks are written by big names: Ryuichi Sakamoto did one (at least), Joe Hishishi ("Princess Mononoke") did several. There is a PC game with a soundtrack by Steve Hillage but I don't remember which.

I have a CD of the soundtrack of a Sega Saturn sci-fi game called "Enemy Zero" which is written by (surprise!) Michael Nyman -- the style is a blend between the baroque-romantic Nyman ("The Piano") and the typical "minimalistic" Nyman. Not grand-breaking stuff, but quite nice nonetheless -- too bad I don't have the game itself.

Jul 4, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #75 of 104
The original Panzer Dragoon games had great soundtracks. I've only played Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Saga (never got my hands on PD 2: Zwei) and the music on both was beautiful. The battle sequence music on Saga was my favorite. From what I played of Panzer Dragoon Orta on the XBox the music did not seem nearly as good.

Oh and many of Rare's N64 games (Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corp, Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazieo) had great music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back