Games soundtracks: anyone listens to them?
Aug 14, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #91 of 104
It is beyond me how this thread got to page 5 without anyone mentioning the soundtrack for Grim Fandango. Man it's cool. Jazzy, big bandy, slightly mexican stuff...

Aug 14, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #92 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumrik
It is beyond me how this thread got to page 5 without anyone mentioning the soundtrack for Grim Fandango. Man it's cool. Jazzy, big bandy, slightly mexican stuff...

I was just about to post the same thing! Definitely one of the best game soundtracks ever. Download it (and other LucasArts soundtracks) here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #93 of 104
Going to have make a case for the Silent Hill OSTs. I love "Theme of Laura", really evokes a lush imagery in my mind that belies the gritty and bleak atmosphere of the game itself:p

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #94 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
It's sad that Nobuo has left Square.

That doesn't mean he won't work on SquareEnix projects in the future -- for instance, he recently composed the soundtrack to the FFVII: Advent Children movie they put out (haven't looked too hard into what exactly the movie entails, though).

Aug 17, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #95 of 104
I personally own all of the 4 disc sets for Final Fantasy 7-10 as well as X-2. Chrono Trigger is in my collection. But lets not forget anime.

Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X has some amazing music and who could have anything to grip about cowboy bebop?

Aug 19, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #96 of 104
A few months ago, Yasunori Mitsuda released an album as part of a collaboration with Masato Kato (a game creator who worked on Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross) called "Kirite". It's a set that includes an original short story with accompanying music. I just listened to it after buying it on eBay. To get to the point, everyone who likes Yasunori Mitsuda's music should go buy this album IMMEDIATELY. It's very similar in style to the Xenogears "Creid" album but even more developed and refined. The same eBay seller seems to have more copies of the first printing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KIRITE-YASUNORI-...QQcmdZViewItem

cdjapan appears to have copies that are not from the first printing that do not include the piano score to one of the songs:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SBPS-8

There are also numerous inexpensive CD-only bootlegs on eBay for those so inclined.

Buy this album.

Aug 20, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #97 of 104
The Guilty Gear Soundtracks are orgasmic. Every soundtrack consists of awesome instrumentals; from ripping electric guitar to peaceful orchestra style music (though I'm quite partial to the guitar myself, being a Satriani fan). There are 3 soundtracks, and each one has it's own individual sound, which is quite rare in a VG series soundtrack. Check them out if you like.

-Guilty Gear X
-Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival
-Guilty Gear Isuka

Sep 1, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #98 of 104
Game Soundtracks II: Resurrection!

I was on the verge of starting a thread like this! I can't believe there are other people that take game music seriously!

My tastes do not go by game, but favorites come from FFVI/VII, Xenogears, Chrono trigger, and of course Castlevania:SOTN. I didn't read the whole thread, but FF tactics MUST be mentioned. Perhaps not so many stand alone songs, but a brilliantly well done soundtrack for that game, minus a couple songs.

I'm surprised at how the general taste aligns with mine, myself having lived in a vacuum of videogame music opinions and discussions.

On Xenogears: I played it. All of it, and replayed most of it. It is ambitious. Very. And it's poorly done. The gameplay is nothing to write home about, and the story suffers from serious pacing issues. However that doesn't stop it from being one of the best games I've ever played. Like I said, it is not flawless but I'm surprised how many can't overlook that in light of its, not necessarily story, but artistic depth. The psychology incorporated is really fascinating. It reminds me of people that don't appreciate the awesomness of Metal Gear Solid 2, which may be the best game on the current generation of consoles. Talk to people about MGS2 and watch them complain about extra-long cutscenes and a host of other 'issues' that are central to the artistic purpose of the game.

ICO has very little, but high-quality music. It's also an extremely good game.

FF tactics is awesome beyond words. A very overlooked game.

Sep 1, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #99 of 104
On a typical day, I would sit on my computer waking myself up to Princess Bride!, Princess Brave! and Sledgehammer Romance.

I do listen to Fate/Stay Night and Sorechiru OSTs occasionally. There are many game related I've songs I fell in love with... Recently I have been listening to School Days OST more than anything else. KIRIKO's op theme is just stellar.

Sep 2, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #100 of 104
The Baldurs gate and Icewind Dale games have nice soundtracks. Pity they were only availible with the collectors edition of the game. and WoW has one as well.

Sep 2, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #101 of 104
katamari damacy is a great game, a true original for once... and one that Namco tragically didn't release in Europe!!!
frown.gif

Anyways its soundtrack is pretty crazy but definately worth a listen.. the main theme tune being the most obvious, with a theme that is somewhat present throughout a lot of the tracks.. I don't know how you'd describe the soundtrack, in game soundtrack terms its as unique as the game itself was.. vocals and jazzy but mainly crazy!!!

The sequel is out soon/now, and also will make it out to europe.. i've not heard it's soundtrack yet but know someone who has.. perhaps not as great as the original, but still excellent stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #102 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
katamari damacy is a great game, a true original for once... and one that Namco tragically didn't release in Europe!!!
frown.gif

Anyways its soundtrack is pretty crazy but definately worth a listen.. the main theme tune being the most obvious, with a theme that is somewhat present throughout a lot of the tracks.. I don't know how you'd describe the soundtrack, in game soundtrack terms its as unique as the game itself was.. vocals and jazzy but mainly crazy!!!

The sequel is out soon/now, and also will make it out to europe.. i've not heard it's soundtrack yet but know someone who has.. perhaps not as great as the original, but still excellent stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

On the contrary! I like the second one more than the first! The second one is more refreshing, more upbeat, more complex. Very very good. But the first is very good too.. both near the top 10 game soundtracks I know.

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #104 of 104
Oooh akwok, what is your top 10 list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back