Games soundtracks: anyone listens to them?
Nov 28, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
If you haven't played Xenogears then you haven't played the best RPG (plot and concept wise) ever. Also has a reputable soundtrack but most of it isn't very appealing to me.

I played that game, that was one of the worst "RPG's" i've ever played. Talk about bad camera angles. FFVIII is right up there too as being pretty bad. Sorry, but FFVI has the best plot and concept...right next to FFVII (as much as i hated the storyline).

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Any good online sources for this stuff (besides Kazaa/WinMX/other peer to peer software)?

If your familiar with newsgroup's, there's a mp3 newsgroup just for videogame soundtracks...good stuff on there all the time (alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.video-games). One guy is posting a final fantasy flood.

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
If your familiar with newsgroup's, there's a mp3 newsgroup just for videogame soundtracks...good stuff on there all the time (alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.video-games). One guy is posting a final fantasy flood.

Dang got on there and must have missed all of the FF music.

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Any good online sources for this stuff (besides Kazaa/WinMX/other peer to peer software)?

It doesn't seem to be up anymore (but the DNS entry remains), however there was a webiste named www.traxinspace.com
where MOD authors would submit their songs to be categorized and rated.

I've found some surprisingly good stuff in many genres there. Also, there are several demo competitions every year, such as The Assembly . You can download participants' mp3/MOD songs there.

It appears that The Mod Archive is still up.

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #21 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I played that game, that was one of the worst "RPG's" i've ever played. Talk about bad camera angles. FFVIII is right up there too as being pretty bad. Sorry, but FFVI has the best plot and concept...right next to FFVII (as much as i hated the storyline).

You couldn't be more wrong (except on the FFVIII part). First of all you could change the camera angle to whichever angle you wish, so I don't know what you're complaining about there. Unless you have trouble picking one. If you actually played through the whole thing you would know it kicks FFVI's ass story wise. FFVII was a good game. Xenogears was better. As far as FFVI goes, hugely overrated with about 9 billion characters to choose from. I guess the story to go with it was good, but again, Xenogears was better. Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing it, but when a game gets to the point where you're walking through a forest looking for dinosaurs for 10 hours straight just to level up, I stop. FFIV beats out FFVI for the SNES. But I think we can all agree that Chrono Trigger was the best RPG for SNES hands down.

There is no second of all because I did not seperate them when I had the chance and am now too lazy to do so.

Nov 28, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #22 of 104
- FF IV (best soundtrack/rpg EVER!)
- FF IV : Celtic Moon
- FF VI
- FF VIII
- Castlevania : SOTN
- American McGee's Alice (terribly under-appreciated, this is great ambient stuff)

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
You couldn't be more wrong (except on the FFVIII part). First of all you could change the camera angle to whichever angle you wish, so I don't know what you're complaining about there. Unless you have trouble picking one. If you actually played through the whole thing you would know it kicks FFVI's ass story wise. FFVII was a good game. Xenogears was better. As far as FFVI goes, hugely overrated with about 9 billion characters to choose from. I guess the story to go with it was good, but again, Xenogears was better. Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing it, but when a game gets to the point where you're walking through a forest looking for dinosaurs for 10 hours straight just to level up, I stop. FFIV beats out FFVI for the SNES. But I think we can all agree that Chrono Trigger was the best RPG for SNES hands down.

There is no second of all because I did not seperate them when I had the chance and am now too lazy to do so.

Um, i played thru about 15 hrs of the game...i hated every minute of it. I did attempt to change the camera angles...barely could ever get a decent one in any scene. There's one specific area that was a forest/cave area. I spent more time just scouting around to get an idea of where to go because the camera angles kept unlocking on me. If you ask me, the angles were poorlu implemented. Unfortunately, i don't remember much of the storyline other than it was a bit lame and the battles were flat out tedious. No offense, but i think i've been around the RPG block long enough to know that FF I was better than everything else
very_evil_smiley.gif

Any true RPG fan would know that.
tongue.gif

On another hand, i am currently playing FFIV, its a good game, but not nearly as fun as playing FFV or FFVI. I prefer very deep gameplay and that's what both titles offer. Xenogears was one of THE worst titles to come out. It turned me off to Square and FFVIII was the last straw. Some people prefer to sacrifice gameplay over storyline...i don't. Xenogears simply didn't live up to expectations in my book.

Back on topic:

Ninja Gaiden NES had some kickass tunes in there. I have the soundtrack in midi and converted some of them with wingroove....what i heard blew me away. Wingroove kicks ass.

Another game that had a good soundtrack: LandStalker for genesis, wish i could find me a copy.

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 104
Nov 28, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #26 of 104
I just found the killer instinct soundtrack on CD i got with my SNES and its actually pretty good. Its techno/acid jazz and im kinda enjoying it, its very high energy

Dec 1, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Y-Z
Any good place to buy non-bootlegged CDs? I tried amazon but they're so damn expensive! Thanks.

www.gamemusic.com

I think that's as cheap as its gonna get, they are rather expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back