Games soundtracks: anyone listens to them?
Dec 3, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #46 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Mcrmouse30
Due to this thread my mp3's have expanded by 7 gigs. Now I need to go out and buy some of cds.

LOL!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #47 of 104
a few counter-points:

1. FFVI and FFV were both easy. No thinking involved, maybe a little strategy. Essentially "find the best combos and win" for FFV. Only truly difficult parts were a few bosses. FFVI speaks for itself? My friend finished it in 3 days (no cheating), first time playing it. If you know the standard swing of things in RPGs, you can rip through FFVI with little challenge in some places. The only "difficult" part is sitting in the forest for hours on end to get strong enough to take on kefka.

2. Last hour? Xenogears took me 40 hours, 15 is in the middle of the story at best. Did you watch Memento? It's a story telling technique, don't tell me you haven't liked any stories with major twists and revelations towards the end.

3. Again, I state that it was one of the first RPGs I've ever tried at a young age and it was difficult to me. Much more difficult than FFIV which I played through just fine at the time. Lufia II did have a few hard puzzles where I got stuck, at least to me in 6th grade, you are obviously a puzzle master! Bow down to the puzzle master!

I don't know what I'm talking about? Maybe I should play through FFI and Lufia II again, and maybe you should play through Xenogears.

Dec 3, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #48 of 104
I almost forgot:

Cosmic Fantasy 2, for the TurboGrafx-16 CD system. This was one of my first intros to the possibilities of CD-quality music in videogames (Gates of Thunder being the actual first). While it was pretty drab and stupid, the songs left a pretty heavy impression on me, and to this day I still catch myself humming some of the tunes from time to time. When CD's began being used, I was so amazed at the music they could produce in comparison to the old cartridges of yore(Y's book I&II, a good example). It was like the jump from the crappy PC internal speaker (hello sierra adventure games) to the use of an *actual* soundcard with real speakers (I remember my first exposure to this -- I was on the streets of Taiwan in some random shopping area and I saw this computer with *GASP* a soundcard and speakers... I never thought computer music could sound so damn good!)

Dec 3, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #49 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by Mallow005
a few counter-points:

1. FFVI and FFV were both easy. No thinking involved, maybe a little strategy. Essentially "find the best combos and win" for FFV. Only truly difficult parts were a few bosses. FFVI speaks for itself? My friend finished it in 3 days (no cheating), first time playing it. If you know the standard swing of things in RPGs, you can rip through FFVI with little challenge in some places. The only "difficult" part is sitting in the forest for hours on end to get strong enough to take on kefka.

2. Last hour? Xenogears took me 40 hours, 15 is in the middle of the story at best. Did you watch Memento? It's a story telling technique, don't tell me you haven't liked any stories with major twists and revelations towards the end.

3. Again, I state that it was one of the first RPGs I've ever tried at a young age and it was difficult to me. Much more difficult than FFIV which I played through just fine at the time. Lufia II did have a few hard puzzles where I got stuck, at least to me in 6th grade, you are obviously a puzzle master! Bow down to the puzzle master!

I don't know what I'm talking about? Maybe I should play through FFI and Lufia II again, and maybe you should play through Xenogears.

1. Good for your friend, how many hrs did he spend going through FFVI? First time through took me 60+ hrs. I didn't have to walk around to level up because i didn't rush through the game. I'm playing FFV right now, it's not as easy as your making it sound. A little more difficult than FFIV for sure. I doubt when your going through any game the first time you can tell its gonna be a breeze the first time out.

2. Don't compare a videogame that can take dozens of hours to a movie that may be only 2 hrs in length.

3. Maybe your young age made you feel that FF I was too difficult, try playing it now. It's definitely not as hard as your making it sound. Maybe i'm more patient than others? Who knows.

I actually wouldn't mind trying Xenogears again, however with no PS and the game it wont be possible. You can always obtain an emu and FFI rom to try it out again on your pc. Once you pass Chapter 3 it eases up a little...until the last dungeon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lastly, i am a puzzle master, bow down and kiss the ring
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #50 of 104
gloco, have you heard the panzer dragoon soundtrack? my friend is playing it on his comp right now (emu.), just reminded me of it. its soundtrack sounds like it's pretty nice.

Dec 5, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #51 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
gloco, have you heard the panzer dragoon soundtrack? my friend is playing it on his comp right now (emu.), just reminded me of it. its soundtrack sounds like it's pretty nice.

Actually, i never had the fortune of playing a Saturn game
frown.gif

Although, i do recall seeing a soundtrack for it, maybe i should pick it up next time
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #53 of 104
I'll second the Homeworld soundtrack. Its kind of haunting, and the perfect PERFECT match for the game. I barely noticed it was there while I was playing, it just seemed like part of the environment, nice pink noise to play by, and eccentuate a cutscene now and then.

Dec 5, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #54 of 104
This doesn't really count since it's more like a broad 80's music compilation... but..

Mmmm.. what about GTA3: Vice City? Heck, it has CD's out that are being released in the AMERICAN market. Hopefully maybe it will open the floodgates to composed video game music being released in the American market. Think about it -- wouldn't it be great to see all your favorite video game soundtracks in your local retailer's soundtrack section?

Dec 5, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #55 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
speaking of video game remixes, i absolutely love the aphex twin remix of the tetris theme. it's so awesome, anyone else hear it?

Oh, I've seen this floating around the P2P domain...

Yea, it brings me back and with a vengeance. I also like the Pac-Man remix that is out there.

Dec 15, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #56 of 104
Almost all of my favorite game soundtracks come from RPGs, as most of my favorite games are RPGs. These include:

Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Lufia
Super Mario RPG
FF7

There are of course others, but these are the ones I generally keep going back to.

Dec 15, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #57 of 104
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
- American McGee's Alice (terribly under-appreciated, this is great ambient stuff)

Just read this thread for the first time. Totally agree on the Alice soundtrack. There are a few places where it's a bit repetitive, but overall it's an excellent album!

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #58 of 104
Macross PLus Soundtracks. The arranged pieces are dynamic and enjoyable, but by far the best track out of all of the macross' is Voices, be it the acoustic, instrumental, acapella, or cello version.

Dec 16, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #59 of 104
Correct me if I'm wrong...but Macross Plus is an anime, right? Was there a game of it made?

Dec 16, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #60 of 104
I recently received a boatload of FF CDs...more or less all the piano based CDs, the 2002 orchestrated live performance, and the Pray album. All of it is very very good stuff. I can't believe I didn't get the Pray album much earlier, it's soooooo good. Long live Nobuo Uematsu!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back