Galaxy S9/S9+ audio quality
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #16 of 140
more comments on the quality of the headphone out would be greatly appreciated...is the s9 significantly louder than the s8?
Well yes the s9 ie louder I even gave both phones to a friend to test the audio using the same track he definitely noticed the s9 ie louder as for the quality it might be placebo but it sounds better I will try another test in a few minutes just to be sure I'm using westone w80 on TIDAL hifi

So the s9 is louder by maybe 10%. The bass is fatter, the highs are slightly better on the s9. The s9 ie more bassy that's for sure. Vocals are clear.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 140
Well yes the s9 ie louder I even gave both phones to a friend to test the audio using the same track he definitely noticed the s9 ie louder as for the quality it might be placebo but it sounds better I will try another test in a few minutes just to be sure I'm using westone w80 on TIDAL hifi

So the s9 is louder by maybe 10%. The bass is fatter, the highs are slightly better on the s9. The s9 ie more bassy that's for sure. Vocals are clear.
thanks, swesko--are there any published specs on the output (mw) of the internal amp in the s9?

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 140
thanks, swesko--are there any published specs on the output (mw) of the internal amp in the s9?
Nope not yet, most reviewers just talk about battery, screen and camera. Could take sometime before a real detailed review pops up

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #19 of 140
Tests give an unusually long autonomy when playing music (about 14h), so I suspect there actually is a dedicated audio chip.
Because you don't get this kind of autonomy when relying on the main SoC, unless they have heavily customized the SoC (undercloking ?) for this task.

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #20 of 140
Tests give an unusually long autonomy when playing music (about 14h), so I suspect there actually is a dedicated audio chip.
Because you don't get this kind of autonomy when relying on the main SoC, unless they have heavily customized the SoC (undercloking ?) for this task.
A teardown from techinsight ex chipworks ie showing Cirrus Logic CS47L93 Audio Codecbut haven't found that ref on their website

http://techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/samsung-galaxy-s9-teardown/

Seems like they're using https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43131/

As I tried a dsd256 file and it played without downsampling it

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 140
Sorry only have my s8 fo compare to

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #24 of 140
Sounding good enough to skip your OPPO external DACs ? :)
I haven't used them in a long time as I'm using pioneer 300r as my source but I will compare tomorrow if you want with my oppo and mojo

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #26 of 140
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 140
Screenshot_20180310-225918_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
Screenshot_20180310-225918_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg Screenshot_20180310-225826_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
This is excellent news!
Finally they gave some attention to audio.

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #29 of 140
oooh, I have the S9+ - must admit I haven't reinstalled UAPP - but, if it can do DSD natively, then that is quite handy!

Only thing I'll add, is that I really am not so keen on the Dolby Atmos feature, really blurs / compresses the sound to me - rather have it vanilla...

I, right this minute - still prefer the iPhone X audio out (via dongle), however - been using that exclusively since November, so - to be fair to Samsung, this new (Exynos) implementation might well take some time to get used to anyway for me.

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #30 of 140
Do one know if Samsung Galaxy S9 exynos support that bluetooth aptx, aptx hd, ldac?
All the above except aptx hd
Screenshot_20180311-141233_Settings.jpg

oooh, I have the S9+ - must admit I haven't reinstalled UAPP - but, if it can do DSD natively, then that is quite handy!

Only thing I'll add, is that I really am not so keen on the Dolby Atmos feature, really blurs / compresses the sound to me - rather have it vanilla...

I, right this minute - still prefer the iPhone X audio out (via dongle), however - been using that exclusively since November, so - to be fair to Samsung, this new (Exynos) implementation might well take some time to get used to anyway for me.

Yeah Dolby sux it makes the sound muddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back