Galaxy Nexus and E17, will it work?
Jul 22, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 30
I thought cyanogen mod included the USB_AUDIO "drivers" already, although I'm not an android developer nor do I know too much about the insides of the OS. Does this mean that DACs that require more power can be used? Sorry my limited knowledge of android prevents me from comprehending half of what is in that thread.

A standard USB DAC can be a self-powered device, or a bus-powered device.
Some bus-powered USB DAC like the Objective DAC (ODAC) can be powered by some Android smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy S III.
If a bus-powered USB DAC requires too much power, it should be connected to an Android device via a self-powered USB hub.
And a clean 5V battery-powered USB hub could improve the sound quality:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/165#post_8540151

Concerning the modded kernel developed by Francisco Franco, there is an app that facilitates its handling:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.kernel&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mcmFuY28ua2VybmVsIl0.

"franco.Kernel updater app features:
* Downloads the kernel directly from the ftp
* Checks for updates directly from the ftp
* Checks and downloads Imoseyon's kernel (new feature)
* Kernel auto-flash
* Cpu frequencies changer
* Governor changer
* Voltage control interface
* Kernel settings:
* Hotplug enabler
* Color Control - You're able to change GAMMA values and Color Multipliers to achieve the best color profile
* Sound Control - Increase the max volume of your device
* Download special franco.Kernel boot animation
* Wi-fi special mode to boost signal during streaming while on screen off
* Custom download path
* Live calibrated voltages panel
* Disable logger
* SQlite defrag on boot
* Dedicated milestone and nightly kernels changelogs
* A widget with pertinent information
* Power Modes in prebuilt presets for maximum flexibility"

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 30
I looked at the thread, but it looks like the ability of the E17 to disable USB charging was overlooked.  When the charging is disabled, one would think that power draw would indeed but rather low and that the E17 would then just require that working drivers were implemented.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:
I looked at the thread, but it looks like the ability of the E17 to disable USB charging was overlooked.  When the charging is disabled, one would think that power draw would indeed but rather low and that the E17 would then just require that working drivers were implemented.

Not entirely overlooked. Tried it with my S3 and it's a no go there regardless of whether USB charging is on or off. Even tried it with an externally powered hub and no dice. Since USB audio in Jelly Bean doesn't appear to be a standard implementation seems even less likely to work here.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

No it wasn't/ I didn't, the 150-170Ma was WITH USB CHARGE OFF....already. the iPad only accepts up to 100Ma ..and who knows what a phone would limit itself too.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
No it wasn't/ I didn't, the 150-170Ma was WITH USB CHARGE OFF....already. the iPad only accepts up to 100Ma ..and who knows what a phone would limit itself too.

I suppose one could use a USB data-only cable or extension cable to connect the Fiio E17 to the USB OTG cable for testing purposes.
If one can not find a data-only cable, they can be made by opening up a cable, cut the red wire so it creates an open, insulate the red wire, and tape/ heat shrink.  Then power will not be able to flow, but the green and white data cables will still be connected.  I expect there is no reason to touch the black ground wire.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
I suppose one could use a USB data-only cable or extension cable to connect the Fiio E17 to the USB OTG cable for testing purposes.
If one can not find a data-only cable, they can be made by opening up a cable, cut the red wire so it creates an open, insulate the red wire, and tape/ heat shrink.  Then power will not be able to flow, but the green and white data cables will still be connected.  I expect there is no reason to touch the black ground wire.

The E17 NEEDS the power for a reason... not really for a reason but USB charge and use is there ....

You are asking me or someone to for example, take a desktop powered external hard drive....plug one end into the computer and the A/C end...with the two prongs stripped off with only the ground left, into the socket and expect it to power on..or at most power on and then fail and turn off

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote: Originally Posted by headfinoob  I suppose one could use a USB data-only cable or extension cable to connect the Fiio E17 to the USB OTG cable for testing purposes. If one can not find a data-only cable, they can be made by opening up a cable, cut the red wire so it creates an open, insulate the red wire, and tape/ heat shrink.  Then power will not be able to flow, but the green and white data cables will still be connected.  I expect there is no reason to touch the black ground wire. The E17 NEEDS the power for a reason... not really for a reason but USB charge and use is there ....   You are asking me or someone to for example, take a desktop powered external hard drive....plug one end into the computer and the A/C end...with the two prongs stripped off with only the ground left, into the socket and expect it to power on..or at most power on and then fail and turn off

It should run off the internal battery. I just ordered a cable to hack up and I will give it a shot so that I can put it to the test on my PC at least. When I get my nexus 7 you bet I will be playing around with it and the E17, as well as USB OTG

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:
"Ok r220 is up please take some time to read through this:
* Added USB_AUDIO modules to /lib/modules - if you have a USB DAC and you want to see what happens just do this: insmod lib/modules/snd-usb-audio.ko and post here the outcome"
[Francisco Franco, a XDA kernel developer]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28723127&highlight=usb+dac#post28723127

Has anyone tried this yet?  It seems too good to be true, but I don't have a G Nexus to test it with.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #27 of 30
FWIW, running trying to load that kernel module on my Galaxy Nexus running Franco's kernel produces this: 

"insmod: init_module 'lib/modules/snd-usb-audio.ko' failed (Exec format error)"

Someone willing to attempt setting up a cross-compiler and recompiling might get somewhere, but I'd guess support for the standard implementation won't be forthcoming, in favor of licensed audio docks and the like.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 30
So far this is what I've done with my Galaxy Nexus

I borrowed a FiiO e17 and bought an e7 to try out with Cyanogen and Franco Kernel on my nexus. The e17 didn't work, but was recognized by the device. The e7 worked but it had stutters so I returned it. USB OTG is working since I use a usb stick and sometimes a keyboard with my phone. 

It looks like something to do with either power or the drivers. If it's power then apparently you can hook up a battery to the usb cable, but that seems very clumsy.

Anyways though I've been using my phone with a pair of soundmagic e30s and it's actually been alright without an amp or anything. So if your getting a galaxy nexus I wouldn't be too put off by the lack of wolfson or voodoo. I actually learned I don't really like the touch screen for selecting music especially while in the car, so I've gone back to ipod/sansa for now.

Thanks for any help with this.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:
So far this is what I've done with my Galaxy Nexus

I borrowed a FiiO e17 and bought an e7 to try out with Cyanogen and Franco Kernel on my nexus. The e17 didn't work, but was recognized by the device. The e7 worked but it had stutters so I returned it. USB OTG is working since I use a usb stick and sometimes a keyboard with my phone. 

It looks like something to do with either power or the drivers. If it's power then apparently you can hook up a battery to the usb cable, but that seems very clumsy.

Anyways though I've been using my phone with a pair of soundmagic e30s and it's actually been alright without an amp or anything. So if your getting a galaxy nexus I wouldn't be too put off by the lack of wolfson or voodoo. I actually learned I don't really like the touch screen for selecting music especially while in the car, so I've gone back to ipod/sansa for now.

Thanks for any help with this.

Thanks for posting these test results.  It seems we're not quite there yet with USB audio out on the Galaxy Nexus.  Makes me jealous of the S3 owners out there.  That said, you're right, the GNexus headphone out is quite good, especially with the tweaked settings that come with Franco Kernel.   I recommend GNexus owners flash the Franco Kernel just to get those additional audio improvements.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #30 of 30
I know this is an old post, but I am trying to figure out if I can use a DAC/AMP with a Nexus 10.  From what I have researched everso briefly is something like this:

Nexus 10 (with 4.4) using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro >OTG cable >AMP/DAC >headphones.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back