Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 1, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #946 of 2,359
let it burn, let it burn, let it burn....
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #948 of 2,359
actually, i am not so sure that i let them burn or anything but immediately noticed over other iems that strings were beautiful. other iems make them maybe sound more detailed but the atrio rendered them beautifully.

eventually, you may find the atrio like a smaller soundstage and naturally not as extended as the hd600. i still cannot believe this thread has gone on for so long. i think i begun to post here just after that. last year, i read about a dynamic driver proper iem and was excited but until warrior getting up the nerve to try them, i was aloof.

love them - still love them and cannot find a good reason to try to 'upgrade' since i 'downgraded' from um2 to get them.

i have tried olive oil on the tips and it has helped with insertion comfort. excellent phones.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #949 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by willsterstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2) My question is, I hear the FS case is quite large. Does anyone recommend the Ety case? the one that goes for $3 at the same ebay shop as above? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ETYMOTIC-RES...QQcmdZViewItem

The FS case is pretty big-fits the Kenwood mediakeg players very nice (one of the reasons i got the M5-to use the case for my Kenwood!).As for the M5 ,yes i put them in the Ety case.I also put the q-jays in another Ety case (i have 5-6 of them,they are only 3$ anyway) as the original Jays case is too small to fit the earphones+extension cable

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #951 of 2,359
after reading this thread i long to get these beauties for a decent priece. where/how is that possible in germany?
i sent roaddog an email, no response.
frown.gif

does the ETYMOTIC RESEARCH Zippered Pouch pad + protect the iems against crushing? or is it "just" thin plastic?

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #952 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after reading this thread i long to get these beauties for a decent priece. where/how is that possible in germany?
i sent roaddog an email, no response.
frown.gif

does the ETYMOTIC RESEARCH Zippered Pouch pad + protect the iems against crushing? or is it "just" thin plastic?

I got them from UK: http://handheldaudio.co.uk/pages/fs_...e=c&cat_id=178
more expensive than from roaddog but fast shipping and no customs .
The Ety case is a neoprene pouch not a hard or semi hard case.You can use a Altoids case if you worry about crushing them.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #953 of 2,359
1) The Atrio changes significantly with burn in. They need a minimum of 50 hours, preferably 100, before they sound the way they are meant to.

2) The Atrio should be worn with the wire over the ear, with the "memory wire" hooked over the top of the ear. This eliminates most or all microphonics issues, and provides a better angle for insertion (better sound).

Man, these things are getting tedious to say. Maybe we should create a stick FAQ.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #954 of 2,359
I just can't decide between Atrio and denons c700 now... both of them r the best dynamic drivers, i think .. which I personally prefer against armature... can you help with my decision? I cant find link which compare both...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #956 of 2,359
I have the Atrios and had the Denons (sold them). I found the Denons a little more bright than the Atrios in the mids/highs, and just preferred the latter sound sig, but others feel otherwise. Both are very fine portable phones. Oh, the Denons are canal phones and the Atrios IEMs, just so you know. The latter require a deeper insertion, and work best with foam sleeves in my view (so sleeves are a cost factor if you choose foam over flanges).

I just picked up a pair of Altec-Lansing im616s, which are about $80 on Amazon.com, and I have to say, I like their sound more than the Denons (they are made with Ety technology, but have a warmer, more bassy sound sig. Again, if you get the right seal).

The Denons are "bigger" in that they stick out more, and are made of metal. The Atrios are plastic and flatter to the ear (some even sleep with the Atrios on, you can't with the Denons. Not a chance).

Nov 1, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #957 of 2,359
yea, thanks for answer, but Altec im616 looks really big and bulky from picture, they must stick out too much...
and I read a lot of lack of bass on these. ILounge review says they are brighter than er-6i...so how they can have more bass than Denons???
BTW are they dynamic or armature?

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #958 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, these things are getting tedious to say. Maybe we should create a stick FAQ.

yes the "how-to but if not well maybe yes and I do" FAQ
blink.gif
orphsmile.gif

regards,

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #959 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, thanks for answer, but Altec im616 looks really big and bulky from picture, they must stick out too much...
and I read a lot of lack of bass on these. ILounge review says they are brighter than er-6i...so how they can have more bass than Denons???
BTW are they dynamic or armature?

Well, for starters, the im616s are not bigger/more obtrusive than the Denons, which are barrel shaped (the AL's are a smoother version of the ER4Ps design-wise). They are thinr and when I look in the mirror when them in (as much as I hate to do it) they look fine, not big and bulky. The Denons are not huge, mind you, but they are relatively bulky comparied to other canal phones/EMs I have owned.

Lack of bass? Brighter than the er6i? No way. ILounge can say what it wants, but with a proper seal and the right tips, the ALs do not lack clean, definitive ear-pleasing bass. They do lack loud, sloppy bass, I will admit. Again, I pumped the EQ a little on my Zen Vision M, and made sure I sealed them well using the FutureSonic large foamies, and they sound perfectly sweet to me bass-wise. Not too bright, either. And they also have the Ety detail, albeit a little warmer (see the im716/616 threads hereabouts).

If you read the Amazon.com user feedback for the im616s, you will see either 4-5 stars or one star. My guess is the latter group never really learned how to get a proper seal, use their EQ, or really understood they were buying IEMs.

I believe they are single armatures, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

I doubted the im616s would impress me, but since I got them for $40 on buy.com, I figured why not? I am pleasantly surprised, and they are battling with the Atrios for my #1 IEM. Need more listening, because they are two different animals, but I do favor the ALs over the Denons I just sold, for a couple of reason. Price is one (nearly $100 less cause I got lucky). Another is they are true IEMs, not canal phones. And, finally, - this one counts the most - I just prefer their sound signature now that I have heard both.

Hey, get the Denons. Or the Atrios. Or the Altec-Lansings. You won't be disappointed. If I could afford to keep all three, I would have.

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #960 of 2,359
"can you help with my decision?"

If you sometimes need isolation (planes, trains, busses), the M5's should be able to provide more isolation (using flanges or foamies ... I happen to think the foamies are worth the occasional extra expense, but of course different people have different preferences).

If isolation is not an issue, your decision is probably not as clear-cut. I will say that I like my M5's. Have fun listening to whatever you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back