Futuresonics Atrio M5
Oct 30, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #931 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As regards reviews, Cnet is very weird site!! Instead read anythingbutipod.com reviews!, extensively better
600smile.gif

Caribou679, you just made my day...
biggrin.gif

Indeed, the Super.Fi Pro are quite overpriced and underwhelming - even compared to cheapos like the Mylarone XB, not to speak of the Atrios.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #934 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caribou679, you just made my day...
biggrin.gif

Glad you like it,
580smile.gif
it's called "push power to power"

regards,

P.S> I really like anythingbutipod.com
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #936 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you guys. I checked some reviews on the web. CNET rated these babies just 7.3 out of 10. For example sony mdr-ex90 rating is 7.5 and super.fi even 8.0
confused.gif
weird no?

I suspect that CNET tried reviewing them "out of the box". It's been established that the Atrio needs a good 100 hours of burn-in time before they settle down and reach their true sound. Out of the box the bass sounds flabby and the highs are harsh, but after burn-in they sound incredible. So yeah, don't trust people who mostly just review computers when it comes to quality headphones. They just don't know what they're talking about.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #937 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that CNET tried reviewing them "out of the box". It's been established that the Atrio needs a good 100 hours of burn-in time before they settle down and reach their true sound. Out of the box the bass sounds flabby and the highs are harsh, but after burn-in they sound incredible. So yeah, don't trust people who mostly just review computers when it comes to quality headphones. They just don't know what they're talking about.

Atrio M5 is clearly a better IEM than any sony earbuds in my mind, but we had other threads int he past about how people have personal differences in perceiving what is deemed a desirable sound. I doubt burn in does THAT much, it didnt on mine (unless the seller had more ours on it than he told me, though the unit looked totally new either way).

Using any headphones (or speakers at a sufficient volume) for 5 hours is a terrible idea IMO. I hope you meant that with a few or few tens of minute's break in between. Atriios are forgiving and soothing indeed, however. One thing I could fault with them is that they aren't too well suited for jogging. Microphonics are overwhelming due to the thin cords, though this can be subjugated to a point when the IMEs are worn like shures would be (e.g. wrap it around your earlobes)

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #938 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me too just nobody posts anywhere on ABI. Maybe like 10 posts a day on Earphone and Mp3 threads. On Head fi there is about 1 post every 5 minutes at the most

yes you are right. But their reviews are not biased,!
Have you read the review about the Atrio?

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #940 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah its very good.
It makes me want to buy it just the price puts me off and as a post said above the microphonics are rubbish

Microphonics does not bother/disturb/distract me!
blink.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #942 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Atrios are very well behaved, microphonics-wise, I'd say. But then again I wear them up around my ears, never with the cables hanging down. Tucking the cables under your shirt helps quite a bit as well (as with any other IEM, for that matter).

I agree, and I must say I have yet to encounter any IEM/canalphone that doesn't suffer some serious microphonics when worn straight down without a shirt clip. It's the nature of the beast. I, for one, wear my Atrios over-the-ear with the memory wire removed, and I have no complaints.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #943 of 2,359
Just picked up the M5s!
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait to get them
smily_headphones1.gif

So to get prepped, I've been told to get

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-Medium-Ult...QQcmdZViewItem --> the Olives in case people don't know. I had no idea what you guys were talking about the whole time and I had to ask somebody about these

2) My question is, I hear the FS case is quite large. Does anyone recommend the Ety case? the one that goes for $3 at the same ebay shop as above? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ETYMOTIC-RES...QQcmdZViewItem

3) Shirt Clip? is one suggested?

4) Using this for iphone, so I need an adapter. Any recommendations?

5) Anything else?

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #944 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by willsterstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up the M5s!
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait to get them
smily_headphones1.gif

So to get prepped, I've been told to get

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/Shure-Medium-Ult...QQcmdZViewItem --> the Olives in case people don't know. I had no idea what you guys were talking about the whole time and I had to ask somebody about these

2) My question is, I hear the FS case is quite large. Does anyone recommend the Ety case? the one that goes for $3 at the same ebay shop as above? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ETYMOTIC-RES...QQcmdZViewItem

3) Shirt Clip? is one suggested?

4) Using this for iphone, so I need an adapter. Any recommendations?

5) Anything else?

1) NOPE!! I believe what is referred as "olives" is:
check post #20, page 1 of this thread-
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...910_black_foam

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #945 of 2,359
I just got my M5's right now (my first IEM) as a portable complement to my 650's. I tried my M5 amped on my gilmore lite + DPS. The earseals on these things are HUGE. people must have big ear canals or use a lot of KY jelly. I found the foamies were able to make it comfortable and get a good seal.

Initial impression is that BASS... i believe the 650's might be capable of this strong bass with a better amp. The bass is clouding out some of the mids i think. Will that improve with burn in? Isolation is definitely a new thing for me (im used to open phones) and comfort isnt as that bad as i thought. High's dont extend out.

soundstage can't touch the 650's. guitar strings arent as musical. Now i really appreciate the Sennheiser sound

i can tell the mids aren't the strong point for m5's. theyre slightly smeared

for portability purposes and price i am satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back