Futuresonics Atrio M5
Oct 29, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #916 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by willsterstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh okay
Hypothetically, if I wanted to shave the plug, would that be a wise thing to do..or would it be possible at all?

an adapter from 1/8" to mini-mini is 49cents about...

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #917 of 2,359
nono
the iPhone uses the standard stereo jack. The problem is that its recessed so most headphones don't fit because they start getting fat too early so it doesn't go all the way in.

So I guess I should just get one of those adaptors.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #918 of 2,359
Quote:

Oh okay
Hypothetically, if I wanted to shave the plug, would that be a wise thing to do..or would it be possible at all?

The plug will fit if you shave it or rather cut it (it's not plastic but rubber surrounding the metal jack). I just chewed it off on one side and it doesn't look clean or anything but it fits and I don't have an added piece to worry about.

You'll see what I'm talking about once you get the phones.

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #919 of 2,359
okay thanks everyone

so I guess i'm looking for more advice. I'm not an audiophile by any means and the most experience i've had was acquiring Panasonic HJE50 (i think?) and Sony E888.

I LOVED my E888's until they were stolen though I thought it was kind of annoying that they'd still fall out alot when I move around as opposed to sitting.

So right now, I've been eyeing on the Atrio M5 and the PK2. I know they are totally different..one being IEM and the other having no isolation at all.

I'm just not sure about IEMs and the fit and everything. I mean I have had E888's and I hear PK2s match or may surpass them but maybe its time I move on to IEMs?

Whats your take?

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #920 of 2,359
Quote:

okay thanks everyone

so I guess i'm looking for more advice. I'm not an audiophile by any means and the most experience i've had was acquiring Panasonic HJE50 (i think?) and Sony E888.

I LOVED my E888's until they were stolen though I thought it was kind of annoying that they'd still fall out alot when I move around as opposed to sitting.

So right now, I've been eyeing on the Atrio M5 and the PK2. I know they are totally different..one being IEM and the other having no isolation at all.

I'm just not sure about IEMs and the fit and everything. I mean I have had E888's and I hear PK2s match or may surpass them but maybe its time I move on to IEMs?

Whats your take?

For me Atrio sounds like professional!
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #921 of 2,359
Quote:

okay thanks everyone

Whats your take?

It's really not true that the PKs (1, 2 or 3) have zero isolation. I use them all the time out on the city streets and in the house (PK1 and PK3), and with a good volume level, the music can be heard. Granted, they do not seal off your ear canals like IEMs (I have Atrios as well), but they work just fine unless you are dealing with subways/trains, planes and other very loud environments. So if you are using your portable phones in most common listening modes, the PK2s are fine (but my advice is to get the PK3s instead). Using the Shure olive tips, the Atrios are very comfy as well. But they require a shirt clip to take pressure off when hanging down. In fact, I use shirt clips for the PK1s as well.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #922 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really not true that the PKs (1, 2 or 3) have zero isolation. I use them all the time out on the city streets and in the house (PK1 and PK3), and with a good volume level, the music can be heard. Granted, they do not seal off your ear canals like IEMs (I have Atrios as well), but they work just fine unless you are dealing with subways/trains, planes and other very loud environments. So if you are using your portable phones in most common listening modes, the PK2s are fine (but my advice is to get the PK3s instead). Using the Shure olive tips, the Atrios are very comfy as well. But they require a shirt clip to take pressure off when hanging down. In fact, I use shirt clips for the PK1s as well.

Oh okay cool!
Hmm..so PK3 is more entry level than PK2..so does that mean PK2's are better?

So to compare the two would you say that the M5's have better audio quality?

And yes, I guess i'm using it mostly while doing work at home/work/some commuting and travelling.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #923 of 2,359
i wonder if the atrio m5 can be used for long periods of time. since i spend most of my time studying/being in the library, i use my earphones for more than 5+ hours a day. i also wonder if u can sleep with them on *sleeping undisturbed in the library is just as good as studying!*

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #925 of 2,359
Quote:

Oh okay cool!
Hmm..so PK3 is more entry level than PK2..so does that mean PK2's are better?

So to compare the two would you say that the M5's have better audio quality?

And yes, I guess i'm using it mostly while doing work at home/work/some commuting and travelling.

The PK3s are less expensive, but have a bassier sound signature than the PK2s, which are more mid/high forward (from my experience). Some other posters agree, some do not. But you do save $30, so trying the PK3s might be the ticker. They do have a j-cord, not a y-cord, and the cord is a little short, so be aware of that (check with Fang at Head-Direct to see if the PK3s can have the y-cord. I believe they can.)

Yes, I prefer the M5s over the PK2/PK3s, but not the PK1s when I use an amp. The M5s do not require an amp, nor do they benefit much from one. But I like using an amp for long-term listening, and the PK1s deliver the best sound in any portables I own.

If you are commuting on loud vehicles, then by all means, get the Atrios. You also won't need to invest in an amp.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #926 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can use the Atrios the longest of all my IEMs. They're the least sibilant and fatiguing ones I know of.

Comfort-wise they're also ok, especially with the Shure foamies. Dunno about sleeping with them, YMMV.

Completely agree.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #928 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the atrios like compared with the ER4 P??

I sold my ER4Ps to make room for the Atrios budget-wise, after extensive A/B listening. I just favor the Atrio sound, which is more bass-oriented, but not sloppy. Mids and highs on the Atrios are fine for me, and have improved over time (especially after burn-in). I also liked the ER4Ps (I also owned the cable to convert them to the ER4S), but every time I compared them to the Atrios, amped and unamped, I chose the latter. Of course, the Etys have a more neutral sound, with more mid and high emphasis. Comfort-wise, the Atrios also win, but I never tried the Etys with the Shure Olives, which are very comfy tips, so that may not be fair. Fatigue-wise, I never get tired listening to the Atrios (see above). Hope that helps.

Oh, the Atrios are about $30 less, and do not require new filters every so often, as the Etys do.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #929 of 2,359
at first sorry for my english
it was long reading for me all 47 pages... I was going to buy q-jays and I also considered some cheaper one, but now I do not know... Maybe I should go for Atrios instead...
confused.gif

I believe you guys. I checked some reviews on the web. CNET rated these babies just 7.3 out of 10. For example sony mdr-ex90 rating is 7.5 and super.fi even 8.0
confused.gif
weird no?
Anyway I can get them only from handheldaudio UK which is not very cheap

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #930 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at first sorry for my english
it was long reading for me all 47 pages... I was going to buy q-jays and I also considered some cheaper one, but now I do not know... Maybe I should go for Atrios instead...
confused.gif

I believe you guys. I checked some reviews on the web. CNET rated these babies just 7.3 out of 10. For example sony mdr-ex90 rating is 7.5 and super.fi even 8.0
confused.gif
weird no?
Anyway I can get them only from handheldaudio UK which is not very cheap

As regards reviews, Cnet is very weird site!! Instead read anythingbutipod.com reviews!, extensively better
600smile.gif

on ebay seller road-dog-on-line is FutureSonics Atrio distributor, you can have them for around $130 + shipping. Best price on the planet!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back