Futuresonics Atrio M5
Sep 18, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #826 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Early posts in this thread indicate that the Shure tips fit the M5 stems and I wondered if anyone had tried using the Shure tri-flange tips with them? I use them on my E5s and wanted to know how the M5s sound with them.

hi!
Yes I did try them. I ordered a pack of 3 from Idealsound at ebay.

Before I had the Atrio I used the 3X flanges with other IEMs like Crossroads X3 and Creative EP-630.

I had very good results as regards comfort and sound isolation. Very good results. Those were the 3X flanges without a stem.
tongue.gif

So when I received them, the 3X flanges with a stem, I was sure I would have the same comfort and sound isolation. But no, it did not work out like that.
blink.gif

They were not comfortable, if they were pushed just a bit too deep in the ear they cut-off the sound. The bass was not really present.
frown.gif

I was very surprised and I attribute those results to the lenght of the stem of the Atrio. Somehow it interfers with the fantastic properties those 3X flanges possess.

I tried cutting the stem of the flanges,also removing one of the flanges but did not get satisfactory results.

Maybe you, Leonard, could try it by yourself and let us know if the same happenned for you!

In my quest to find the PERFECT tip I ordered on ebay a home-made tip that fits E4C and other Shure IEMs. (E2C,E3C,etc). They are made with earplugs material that have been cut and holed. They look tiny on the Atrio. Surprisingly they do the job. they are confortable and isolate relatively well. I kept them as the backup tip. However I continued looking because the isolation was not exactly like the Atrio foamies.

The last I bought in my quest is a pair of Shure yellow foamie and they are the best!! They isolate more than the Atrio foamies, they give a very good sound, they look terrible but they last ...

The Atrio foamie are very good but they do not last. The plastic sleeve inside starts to move and that's it for the isolation. On the Shure all the yellow foamie is like "glued" on the stem, it is very hard to remove and I think that is why they isolate so well.

So it's been 2 weeks I am using the same Shure yellow foamie and I want to use it to the end to find out how long they last. Then I will buy some more.

There are still a few more tips I want to try but at about $15 a try I'll space my test.

I have 5 pairs of Atrio foamies that I keep "in the vault" ,like good wine to try out for the exceptional music.LOL
wink.gif

My god, I have to go work!!!!

regards,,

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #827 of 2,359
The Ety foamies work very well for the Atrios, and they are also very well constructed. You might want to try those, especially since they have the advantage of being dark grey instead of yellow.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #829 of 2,359
So? Besides direct, where do you buy these damn things?
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #831 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So? Besides direct, where do you buy these damn things?
confused.gif

If you live in the U.S., you can also get them on ebay via roaddogonline (just search for the Atrio M5 on ebay). RoadDog has a "make an offer" option. Just offer $130 and chances are they will accept the offer. That's how many folks here got their M5s. They charged $9.99 to ship domestically. Honest merchants. You can also go their site directly (see previous post) and call or email an offer of $130.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #832 of 2,359
Just bought some from roaddogonline earlier today, I was saving for e500s but the reviews seemed so close to what I am looking for that I decided to give them a shot. Also, bought the shure black foamies for 14 on ebay. Can't wait 'till they get here

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #833 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought some from roaddogonline earlier today, I was saving for e500s but the reviews seemed so close to what I am looking for that I decided to give them a shot. Also, bought the shure black foamies for 14 on ebay. Can't wait 'till they get here

Congrats! Don't forget to let them burn for a bit. Don't judge them right out of the box.

Enjoy!

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #834 of 2,359
Quote:

Congratulations on your purchase my friend , IMO you've done your research well ..... enjoy your music
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #835 of 2,359
Quote:

Agree on the burn-in, it's critical it seems. Get a good pink noise file via Google, and use it with the M5s. Not sure if the M5s can compare to the e500s (I have never heard the latter), but most of the posters here have found they are exactly the right combo of the sound spectrum, with a smooth, non-fatiguing sound sig. Enjoy.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #838 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can give you a hint of what happens with them.

I listen to some classic on Decca and on Living Stereo. These are considered good to very good recordings.

With the music encoded Ogg level 8, using Cowon D2 with the Eq set at Classic and MP on at sound level 25 of 50.

Using the M8 with the FS foamies.

From the left to the riight I discerned clearly the different instruments being played and their relative position. Also from the front to the back I can (sometimes) discerned the positions of the instruments on the differents rows the orchestra is set up. I think this is the description of soundstage. It is sometimes very impressive to discerne this!

Before with others IEMs, (X3, EP630,Bose) the sound was more like one big unity and sometimes some distinction was present and attracting attention.

regards,

Ahhh that makes me feel good
smily_headphones1.gif
I have some RP-21s and I like that they have soundstage, are noise canceling, yadda yadda. I've been thinking that I would rather have IEM's since I use my RP-21s portably mostly. The thing I was most worried about was loss of soundstage, but as long as I don't lose completely the soundstage I had with the RP-21s, then I'll be very happy
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #839 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh that makes me feel good
smily_headphones1.gif
I have some RP-21s and I like that they have soundstage, are noise canceling, yadda yadda. I've been thinking that I would rather have IEM's since I use my RP-21s portably mostly. The thing I was most worried about was loss of soundstage, but as long as I don't lose completely the soundstage I had with the RP-21s, then I'll be very happy
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

You will be very surprise with the Atrio.

Talking about soundstage: I recently bought a pair of Equation RP-22 and I am evaluating them on sounstage performance to the Atrio's soundstage. For me this is how good the Atrio are: using them as reference comparing to full headphone!!
rs1smile.gif

Just a note to say the Atrio have better isolation from the outside environnement than the RP22.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #840 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be very surprise with the Atrio.

Talking about soundstage: I recently bought a pair of Equation RP-22 and I am evaluating them on sounstage performance to the Atrio's soundstage. For me this is how good the Atrio are: using them as reference comparing to full headphone!!
rs1smile.gif

Just a note to say the Atrio have better isolation from the outside environnement than the RP22.

That's a plus
smily_headphones1.gif
I like having closed headphones, but I have been using my RP-21s mostly portably. I decided to get some IEMs. I'm looking to Sell or Trade them for Atrio MX's if possible
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back