Futuresonics Atrio M5
Sep 16, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #812 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, no success here - they're a bitch to get the right seal, and they lose it as soon as I turn my head to the side...

Hmmm. The quest for the perfect seal continues. I'll try them again, and see what happens.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #813 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual armature doesn't necessarily mean it's "better" than a single dynamic driver IEM. I'm very sure the q-Jays are a completely different sounding animal than the Atrios. Armatures cannot reproduce bass very efficient (yeah, I know the q-Jays have some sort of "air chamber/bass reflex" thingie), but usually are tuned for more prominent treble. I've never heard armatures that sound "warm/laid-back/etc". It's entirely up to your taste which sound signature you like better.

Read Tbonner's Atrio review for some excellent insight into the dynamic driver vs. multi armature debate: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239901

persoanally, coming from triple driver e500 and dual driver um2, i am very happy with the m5. overall, it is not as detail revealing but as i have exhausted before, it is also not fatiguing. i have just listened to 3 albums straight of depeche mode whilst cleaning house and found nothing to turn me off of these.

when i listened to the others stated above, they were great but very fatiguing. they brought out every nuance of everything and it really hurt if that close to my eardrum. i find detail revealing headphones such as dt880 and k701 to be perfectly fine - as they are away from my ears somewhat. the m5 is beautiful in just about every respect. it is not however the best phone for trance and that is my favourite music. i have found though that it is not bad for it at all, just not quite the fast and emotionless iem that i need for trance - er4s was the best but easily the most irritating for me to listen to.

the one driver (armature) is a work of art as i have heard many dynamics that have been upsetting (cx300 and higher end sony) but this one is very much a nice lush speaker that i curl up in front of. cheers

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #814 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
persoanally, coming from triple driver e500 and dual driver um2, i am very happy with the m5. overall, it is not as detail revealing but as i have exhausted before, it is also not fatiguing. i have just listened to 3 albums straight of depeche mode whilst cleaning house and found nothing to turn me off of these.

when i listened to the others stated above, they were great but very fatiguing. they brought out every nuance of everything and it really hurt if that close to my eardrum. i find detail revealing headphones such as dt880 and k701 to be perfectly fine - as they are away from my ears somewhat. the m5 is beautiful in just about every respect. it is not however the best phone for trance and that is my favourite music. i have found though that it is not bad for it at all, just not quite the fast and emotionless iem that i need for trance - er4s was the best but easily the most irritating for me to listen to.

the one driver (armature) is a work of art as i have heard many dynamics that have been upsetting (cx300 and higher end sony) but this one is very much a nice lush speaker that i curl up in front of. cheers

What sleeves do you use? Shure olives? Just curious.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #815 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too deep is the secret, I think. Anyone else using the flanges with success?

You are correct in not going too deep. For me, I have to put them in as far as they can go, then pull them out just a little bit and bingo! Works every time for me.

I normally use the medium flanges FWIW.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #817 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct in not going too deep. For me, I have to put them in as far as they can go, then pull them out just a little bit and bingo! Works every time for me.

I normally use the medium flanges FWIW.

Great, thanks. I'm going to keep using the medium flanges.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #818 of 2,359
I've owned these for about 3 weeks now coming off of Westone UM1s and at first I have to say the midrange sounded way too recessed compared to everything else. UM1s mid-range is a little over emphasized and after adjusting to the sound signature of the M5s I love them. I honestly don't think I will ever try any other IEMs until someone comes out with an unheard of technology that blows existing IEMs away haha.

I used the included foamies at first and later switched to the large size flanges. I guess I have gigantic ear canals because nothing else even comes close to isolating. The flanges however seem to offer less bass bloat and brighten up the treble giving it a little stab.

Another thing I did is up the midrange (1k) two notches on my equalizer and it really brings in a better balance to my ears.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #819 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, for all the Canadian, more precisely Toronto Atrio M5 owners, how much did you guys pay for customs?

I'm basically ready to buy these, raising money right now LOL

Living in Montreal,Quebec, post office delivered the box with a smile without any cost! nein,nothing at all.No $$.0 bacon.0 dollars!

Brought a smile on my face...
eggosmile.gif

Usually on shipping labelled over $20, it costs $8 for handling + the TPS and TVQ (15% taxes)

Canada is a great place to live!
wink.gif
As long as you can pay for it!....
blink.gif

amitie,

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #820 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned these for about 3 weeks now coming off of Westone UM1s and at first I have to say the midrange sounded way too recessed compared to everything else. UM1s mid-range is a little over emphasized and after adjusting to the sound signature of the M5s I love them. I honestly don't think I will ever try any other IEMs until someone comes out with an unheard of technology that blows existing IEMs away haha.

I used the included foamies at first and later switched to the large size flanges. I guess I have gigantic ear canals because nothing else even comes close to isolating. The flanges however seem to offer less bass bloat and brighten up the treble giving it a little stab.

Another thing I did is up the midrange (1k) two notches on my equalizer and it really brings in a better balance to my ears.

Try burning them in overnight for a week or two with pink noise if you haven't already.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #822 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, today I decided to try the bi-flanges (medium) that came with the Atrios, and to my shock, they sounded pretty darn good. I am sick of the crap on foamies, and found the foamies were starting to lose their iso qualities. I figured why not try the flanges out? Wow, they sounded great. And the mediums didn't feel too tight. Iso-wise, they completely sealed out sound. I A/B tested them with FS foamies, Shure olives and Comply (regular) tips, and I felt the highs were a bit more crisp with the flanges. And the bass was still great. Dunno. Maybe it was a freak thing. But I am going to keep using them. Of course, it takes time to get the right seal. Not too deep is the secret, I think. Anyone else using the flanges with success?

Good to see another flange convert tsarn06
biggrin.gif
I hated the bi-flanges when I first tried them with the Atrios....made my ear canals itch like hell and I dismissed 'em as an option almost immediately.Went with the Shure olives...then one day , just like you.....tried them again .... no itching whatsoever for some reason .... perfect seal , crisper highs , even better quality bass and still plenty of isolation . I also did lots of A/B testing with the other tips and found the bi-flanges (medium) by far the better all round option with regard to SQ . I actually go pretty deep when inserting them because when I'm moving with them in they tend to loosen up just a little anyway....So to all you lucky new Atrio owners...don't make the mistake that I did and automatically dismiss the bi-flanges straight away.
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #823 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to see another flange convert tsarn06
biggrin.gif
I hated the bi-flanges when I first tried them with the Atrios....made my ear canals itch like hell and I dismissed 'em as an option almost immediately.Went with the Shure olives...then one day , just like you.....tried them again .... no itching whatsoever for some reason .... perfect seal , crisper highs , even better quality bass and still plenty of isolation . I also did lots of A/B testing with the other tips and found the bi-flanges (medium) by far the better all round option with regard to SQ . I actually go pretty deep when inserting them because when I'm moving with them in they tend to loosen up just a little anyway....So to all you lucky new Atrio owners...don't make the mistake that I did and automatically dismiss the bi-flanges straight away.
biggrin.gif

Glad I am not alone. I just hate the idea of the foamies losing their "fullness" and having to replace them, so that's why I decided to try the flanges again. Also saw a post where someone mentioned the FS flanges, and figured why not?

Also, had some Ety bi-flanges (also medium) left over from my ER4Ps, and tried them. No bass at all, no matter how they were inserted, could not get a seal. Very interesting. The FS flange material is very soft, and the mediums don't seem to feel too "stuffed" or irritating. Have to see how they work for long-term listening (planes and trains). Around the house, I tend to use my PK1s with an amp (so I can hear the phone ring), or SR80s. Might give the M5s a shot at home as well.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #824 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you leave the rest of the settings at zero?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back