Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #2,176 of 2,359
I plugged the Atrio into my full-size DAC/amp I've got for the HD 650 and experienced some badass St.-Bernard-dog-licks-your-face bass. Moral of the story: laptop phone outs are wimpy, external amp is good even for high sensitivity IEMs.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #2,177 of 2,359
two years after purchasing the atrio rev. 1s, a couple of thoughts:

- i'm not sure the praise the cable gets is all that deserved. after less than a year the cable join at the right earpiece began to fall apart, requiring constant tweaking and twisting to keep sound. a few months later the join where the L and R wires connect developed a bit of a fault, causing the headphones to flick between mono and stereo (and, oddly enough, lose sound entirely at high volume levels). finally, at T+2 years, the jack has just given out, and the rubbery bits at the earpieces are crumbling away to nothing.

- best-sounding IEMs i have ever tried and i have no urge to upgrade from them. i don't even know how i could. they are perfect and leave me wanting nothing more. i still get surprised at how great songs sound and sometimes i just have to stop and marvel at it.

- futuresonics' support is just incredible. i emailed saying my cabling had developed some faults and they've shipped me a new pair without requiring me to send back my old ones or even provide my proof of purchase (because i live outside the USA). i was right on the 2 year limit too. amazing - i have to sing their praises. i am eagerly awaiting my new v2s.

so, be careful with these things because they're a bit delicate. but they are so worth it! yeah the bass is the strong point, but that doesn't mean they only sound good with bassy music. it's what it adds to stuff like acoustic guitar and vocals which is so amazing. i don't have the experience to back this up but i really feel that they are the ultimate "warm" iems.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2,178 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by allioxyzzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
two years after purchasing the atrio rev. 1s, a couple of thoughts:

- i'm not sure the praise the cable gets is all that deserved. after less than a year the cable join at the right earpiece began to fall apart, requiring constant tweaking and twisting to keep sound. a few months later the join where the L and R wires connect developed a bit of a fault, causing the headphones to flick between mono and stereo (and, oddly enough, lose sound entirely at high volume levels). finally, at T+2 years, the jack has just given out, and the rubbery bits at the earpieces are crumbling away to nothing.

- best-sounding IEMs i have ever tried and i have no urge to upgrade from them. i don't even know how i could. they are perfect and leave me wanting nothing more. i still get surprised at how great songs sound and sometimes i just have to stop and marvel at it.

- futuresonics' support is just incredible. i emailed saying my cabling had developed some faults and they've shipped me a new pair without requiring me to send back my old ones or even provide my proof of purchase (because i live outside the USA). i was right on the 2 year limit too. amazing - i have to sing their praises. i am eagerly awaiting my new v2s.

so, be careful with these things because they're a bit delicate. but they are so worth it! yeah the bass is the strong point, but that doesn't mean they only sound good with bassy music. it's what it adds to stuff like acoustic guitar and vocals which is so amazing. i don't have the experience to back this up but i really feel that they are the ultimate "warm" iems.

Well i would've replaced them before the year came if you had problems. I think getting rid of the memory prolongs the life of the cable as well, so Rev2 shouldn't be as delicate or easy to break.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #2,179 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i would've replaced them before the year came if you had problems. I think getting rid of the memory prolongs the life of the cable as well, so Rev2 shouldn't be as delicate or easy to break.

i would have too, but i thought i was going to be without them for a month while i cross-shipped (couldn't bear to be without them, and the problem wasn't THAT bad). i'm definitely hoping rev 2 is a bit sturdier. the memory wire did seem to create weak spots.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #2,180 of 2,359
My only complaint is I wish the cables were detachable as my first pair the wire pulled out on one of the buds. I'm more careful with my second pair but I have had been using atrio's for almost a year now and also feel they sound perfect.

Tons of bass but not muddy with a very natural warm sound but still very detailed.

Has anyone gotten the custom fit sleeves for these? thinking about doing this for these as I'm so happy with how they sound.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2,181 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone gotten the custom fit sleeves for these? thinking about doing this for these as I'm so happy with how they sound.

you're in luck. just happened to check in on the thread and noticed your post. i'm currently using a pair of atrios with the softerwear sleeves, and here's my review - pretty updated too. enjoy! [Review] Futuresonics Softerwear - Custom Tips for Atrio

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #2,182 of 2,359
I just got my hands on the futuresonic atrio m9. To be honest I am blown away by its sound on its own straight out of the box.

I did try the Tomahawk and the Corda XXS and my god, I was pleasantly surprised by the difference I could hear in the separation of the treble notes. The music feels much cleaner while still retaining its warmth and musicality. Unfortunately I was on a tight budget and had to pass on these wonderful amps. I'll probably head back soon. =). I was given a free Fiio E3 upon purchase before I left. Granted this is not the best amplifier out there but I'm enjoying the slight addition in bass.

Overall I'm glad the atrios was my first choice as an IEM! Hope to be upgrading my gear soon!

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #2,183 of 2,359
i like the earphones except for the tips.... they dont fit very well and the sound leaks out.

i heard the shure tips and comply (??) tips fit... if so, can i just buy any shure tips to fit it? what's the best place to buy them if im from canada?

thanks so much !
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2,185 of 2,359
i wonder what special thing they are going to come up wioth next year since it's the 25th anniversary...i believe it's the 25th...

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #2,186 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have now received my atrio M5's. Today I'm listening at work, letting them burn in. But omg are they awesome sounding. The bass goes VERY low, but not bloated. Also you don't have to crank these to get the benefits of the bass, it's so there that you naturally listen at a lower volume. More comments later after burn-in.

how does the bass compare to the superfi 5 eb,,, since i bought those i tried several other iem's and all have left me unsattisfied, i suspect youll ahve the same problem whhen u trnew ones, yooull miss the atrio sub woofer goodneess

38.gif

gear koss pro4 aaa denon 7000 audio technica hat35d amp.dac
ue superfi 5 eb
smily_headphones1.gif
westonn3, triplefi 10vi rsa prrator amp/dac

"don't get sand in your ear canal!"

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #2,190 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone want to traade some atrio m5 for some westone3?

i would do it...but don't own a pair of Atrios =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back