Future Sonics Atrio low mid hump solutions?
Aug 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mrselfdestruct

Head-Fier
So apparently I'm an idiot and didn't realize there's full-size and portable headphone forums and posted in the former.  Anyone have any insights?  Original post:

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a good long time but finally decided to get into the IEM game (owned some Shure E2C's a couple of years back but that doesnt really count). I initially got a pair of the Altec-Lansing rebadged Super-fi 3's (way too middy and generally not too detailed) and then some ER-6i's (couldnt do low bass at all and the highs were a bit harsh but otherwise a pleasant headphone). A buddy had recommended the Atrios and after trying them out I found a good deal on eBay and got them. I guess it's generally accepted around here that they're pretty bass heavy so I was wondering if anyone had any solutions to the overemphasized low mids. I've had some luck with EQing on the computer but that's not really possible on my iPod bc you obviously cant customize settings (I hate Apple). I feel like there might be something to be done with changing the tips maybe? Because unlike the ER-6i's the problem lies not in the fact that they just cant reproduce frequencies without distorting (i.e. the crappy bass on the ER-6i's). I'm guessing it's not really a burn-in issue either.

On a sidenote, I wonder if there's any other IEM you guys can recommend that can do bass and have a nice wide soundstage like the Atrios but might do a better job of articulating mids. Because I do like most things about them (other than how microphonic the cable is) but am comparing them to my v6's (my standby for the last 10 years) and they don't quite get there. I know it's partly the tradeoff you have between a large driver of a full size and IEMs but is there anything out there that can approach the level of detail and frequency range of the v6 without paying an arm and a leg?

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 10
I've heard people say the Hippo VB improves on the Atrios and offers a 3D sounding sound stage.  The bass is phenomenal, however this is assuming your pair works!

I have been back and forth with UncleWilson because I received and exchanged 3 faulty pairs.  At around half the price, they may be something to look into.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
ok thanks, any ideas about what to do to make them better as opposed to a replacement though?

no
smile.gif
, but Future Sonics Atrios are now shipping with the new MG7 driver, which should do better on the mids and highs. I can't say (may be able to hear them soon) if they'll fix the hump issue.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 10
When I had the Atrios I just used the Treble Booster EQ and I was happy. Mind you, I was an audio noob then, but hey, it made me happier.
If you find an EQ setting you really really like, in iTunes you can set your files so that those EQ settings apply to them. Basically, it applies the EQ directly to the files. I believe there are other programs that do the same/similar thing, too. I don't know if the iTunes changes are permanent and your old files are overwritten, but I'd make a backup just in case. If you're on the ball, you should have a backup anyways
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't think they are shipping the new MG7 based Atrio yet, since they decide to do a quiet release. Call them up first just to be safe.

Quote:
no
smile.gif
, but Future Sonics Atrios are now shipping with the new MG7 driver, which should do better on the mids and highs. I can't say (may be able to hear them soon) if they'll fix the hump issue.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 10

I don't think they are shipping the new MG7 based Atrio yet, since they decide to do a quiet release. Call them up first just to be safe.

Not long ago they said it would be very soon, I'm guessing if it's not already done it has to be quite soon.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Not long ago they said it would be very soon, I'm guessing if it's not already done it has to be quite soon.

Since I'm already corresponding with an FS rep, I asked if the MG7 driven Atrios were shipping yet. I hope to hear back by the middle of next week. I'll post here with the answer.

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 10
I mean I've found decent EQ settings on the ipod but nothing I like as much as the custom ones I've done in iTunes.  are you saying that if I set the eq to apply to them in iTunes, that when I sync them to the iPod they're have that EQ applied? 

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 10

I mean I've found decent EQ settings on the ipod but nothing I like as much as the custom ones I've done in iTunes.  are you saying that if I set the eq to apply to them in iTunes, that when I sync them to the iPod they're have that EQ applied? 

Yes, I believe you have to select them all and right click and batch modify them. That effectively applies the EQ directly to the files, so they'll have that EQ no matter what device you use. That's why I suggest making a backup, that way you aren't stuck with the EQ modified files in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back