Funny comments from the forums.
Nov 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #527 of 959
That's what I was doing while waiting for the ticketmaster operator in the other window trying to secure tickets to see Nick Cave. Now I'm explaining how I wrote poetry about a hairy Portuguese ass. This is what I'm doing with my life.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #529 of 959
  That's what I was doing while waiting for the ticketmaster operator in the other window trying to secure tickets to see Nick Cave. Now I'm explaining how I wrote poetry about a hairy Portuguese ass. This is what I'm doing with my life.

You should change the last part to "hairy and open for all of time" :wink:.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #530 of 959
From the Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review

Heh, guess what?  It seems the old girl is working again.  I'm starting to refer to her in the female form, as she's very pretty, temperamental, unpredictably cantankerous, and yet wonderful to me...when she's in the mood.

So, this time, after her last bout of stubbornness, I got her naked, and had my way with her.  As I had always suspected, she looks just as nice without her fashionable, and seductive garb:

While I had her exposed, I delicately lifted the protective tape on her battery and gently laid the tip of my multimeter probe on her terminals.  Marvelous, I was pleased to find her need for power was adequately satiated.

With a can of air I blew gently upon her. I turned her over in my hands and carefully inspected every part of her before helping her back into her attire.

I tried once more, not thinking I would get much out of it, to connect her to the computer (up button held), and she was finally recognized!  I've reloaded the firmware (stop taking everything sexually - that one was too obvious to bother with), and I'm just letting her get her energy back before playing with her again.  But it looks like she might be kind to me once more - and believe me, she's worth the effort.

After our evening together, I'm more in love than ever.

Thanks for tuning in!

p.s. - I think I need a girlfriend...nerdy girls: please apply!

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #531 of 959
From the LCD-X thread:

Since I started this thread and the Holidays are upon us wouldn't it be nice of Audeze to gift me a pair of LCD-X's?  
evil_smiley.gif

I think everybody's wallets would rather run you out of town on a rail right after a good tarring and feathering.
biggrin.gif

se

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #533 of 959
From the grado fan club about the new bushmills vented grados:

Don't get me wrong lads - I'm a fan of the Grado house sound.

Just seems to me that this is like buying a comb for a bald guy.  Yes - it could be a limited edition comb from a master craftsman, that will hold it's value (no doubt).  But in the end - it won't work the way combs are supposed to - and no matter how you use it - it's going to end up becoming uncomfortable on your head.

BTW - yes, I am bald (by choice) 
wink.gif

And I may be a fuddy-duddy or party-pooper, but I wonder how popular these really will be after the instant hype dies down.  I remain unconvinced ......

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #534 of 959
Two posts from the thread:- Electrodynamic and electrostatic headphones now obsolete ?
post #11 of 15
13 hours, 8 minutes ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6a/100x100px-LS-6aae5103_nick_drake.jpg[/img]
  1. Radio_head
  2. badge_contributor.v3479891814.png
  4. offline
  1. 3,099 Posts. Joined 6/2009
  2. Location: Milwaukee, WI

Once, there existed an ice cream flavour.  It didn't need a name, since there was only flavour of ice cream at the time, but it was dubbed Vanilla, perhaps after the famous songsmith.  People were happy with vanilla, and the realm saw much prosperousnous.  One day, a mad scientist discovered a flavour called "chocolate" accidentally while trying to discover silly putty.  This flavour promptly stormed the Bastille and many wondered why they had ever liked Vanilla in the first place.  People insisted chocolate was the flavour to have, and no other flavour would ever supplant it.  Two was enough!  Imagine their shock and awe when strawberry came along.  There were riots in the streets.  People bought dove dung for five silver shekels and ate their own babies, mistaking the situation for famine.  Vanilla and chocolate were shunted to the side like lepers while parades were held for strawberry.  Then some dreamer, a true crazy tinkerer with death rays and everything, had a harebrained notion - what if the three existing flavours could be combined into one super-flavour?  Thus was the Neapolitan flavour birthed.  Suddenly, people were rediscovering their enjoyment of vanilla and chocolate (in conjunction with strawberry.)  It was at this point that people realized there was room for many flavours, and a good new one didn't diminish the older different ones in the slightest. There was much rejoicing, and people ate their babies just because.

Feedback

post #13 of 15
12 hours, 30 minutes ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/38/100x100px-LS-381fa5be_att4.gif[/img]
  1. chetlanin
  2. badge_headfier.v4215856669.png
  4. offline
  1. 53 Posts. Joined 10/2011

Abyss? Abyss is nothing! I have constructed some very high voltage plasma prototype headphones. They are build into a chair and the head needs to be secured very precisely between the plasma “cages”. The surviviors from the first test sessions claim they have not heard anything like this before, and that conventional headphone technology now is obsolete. The price will be approximately 2 mill, or 2.5 mill with Italian designed chair in turtle leather with feet and hand rests in extinct hikushima mountain birch, hand polished by 90 years old monks from the famous Shunkion Temple and covered by 13 layers of piano lacquer (before my company name “Chetlanex” is printed on these wooden parts with big letters in white paint).

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #535 of 959

The Uncanny Vali

Schiit Audio is a company.  They are well known in the audiophile world.  They make many products from headphone amps to DACs.  The newest of these products is the Vali.  It is a hybrid tube amp for only $120.  This is a new low for Schiit.  Their previous offerings with tubes were not this cheap.  This should make the headphone world tremble.  Already in the first few days it is clear that Schiit has another hit on their hands.  Designed by Jason Stoddard of Sumiko fame, the Vali is an all-out-assault on what a tube amp sounds like and costs.  Like all Schiit products, the Vali is made in America.  The Vali was introduced secretly earlier this year.  Only recently with the reviews of respected beta testers like Jude Mansilla and Warren Pchi has word leaked out of just how good this little amp is.

Intelligint Design

The Vali has tubes.  It has two RCA inputs and a 1/4" jack so it can also be used as a headphone amp.  On the front is a volume knob, this is to make the noises louder or softer with the push of a button.  On the back is a switch to turn the amp on or off, putting the power in the hands of the user.  The tubes in the vali are not just decorations.  If they were they would be on the outside.  They are part of the circuit and provide voltage gain.  This is engineer-talk for providing voltage gain.  The amp is Class AB.  Here are some numbers to consider:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 650mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 550mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 115mW RMS per channel
THD: <0.4%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: <0.45%, CCIR
SNR: >93db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: >-70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: 6.5 ohms
Gain: 4 (12db)

As you can see, the Vali is not messing around, as evidenced by some numbers that are very real.  And meaningful also.

Hooked on Microphonics

Is there a downside to all these good things?  The numbers seem too good to be true!  There must be a catch.  Well, there are microphonics to consider.  Microphonics are like the high pitched noises you regularly hear in your head that prevent you from thinking straight and make you do bad things, only they come from a source you can identify.  How big a deal are microphonics?  To find out, I asked the average "man on the street" if they were worried about microphonics or if they thought it was a non-issue.  Most people ignored me, but one man dressed as Jesus in a diaper stated in no uncertain terms that "aliens kidnapped his baby and that's where applesauce comes from."  Strong words indeed, and something that should make Schiit think twice before downplaying microphonics in the future.

Competition

The Vali has a lot of competition.  It is part of the $119-6500 price range which has many great products. Here are some comparisons:

Vs the Woo WA5:

I know what you are thinking - it is ridiculous to compare the two when the Vali is Schiit's newest offering while the WA5 has been eclipsed by the 234.  So you should keep that in mind.  The Vali has a very neutral sound while also being very lively.  In contrast, the Woo WA5 is accurate but fun, this may be due to the WE 300B's.  The Vali has great punch whereas the Woo has more slam.  I'd recommend the Woo if you like the sound of live music but the Vali if you want to recreate sound as if you were in the concert hall.

Vs The Cavalli LG:

The LG has also been usurped by the LAu so this may also not be fair.  Both amps are hybrids, so you would expect them to sound the same.  But they do not. The Vali has weight while the LG has heft.  With the Vali you feel like you are right there while the LG has presence and immediacy. The LG is the winner for those who like Classical or folk music while the Vali shines with analog instruments.

Vs the Mythical Moth 6B4G:

There is only one of this amp in existence and I own it.  The 6B4G is somewhere in between a PX4 and a 2A3.  This amp is an OTL and sounds incredible.  You'd think the Vali couldn't compete!  But it holds its own.  The 6B4G is sweet and spacious but the Vali is saccharine and has great soundstage.  The 6B4G excels with soft passages where the Vali has nuance to pick up microdetails (or "krill.")  The Moth is clearly for dubstep connesewers while the Vali is for those who want to experience music post-lobotomy. 

Vs ECP DSHA-1:

The DSHA one is also a very rare amp.  Very few were ever made and they will be highly sought after.  It is solid state but has a character all its own.  Once again, the Vali is no slouch.  The DSHA sounds like butter while the Vali sounds like I can't believe its not butter.  The DSHA has a wonderful purity of tone while the Vali has me saying "shiver me timbre."  The DSHA sounds like the best of solid state and tube amps brought together while the Vali has all the hallmarks of a great hybrid design.  The ECP is for music lovers while the Vali is for those who appreciate it.

Are you a Vali Girl?

So who is the Vali for?  Well, here's who it isn't for:

1. Terrorists 
  2. The Deaf

So it is important to make sure the Vali is for you and your system.

Conclusions

The Vali is a very good amp.  Not just at its price, but at other prices too.  The price could easily be different, and it would still be released.  It is clear from comparisons that the Vali has the goods.  Jason, Mike, and Sankar should all be proud of this product.  It is clear they worked hard and put thought into the amp.  My prediction is it will sell well and see many acclaims from numerous and such as.  I may not be Notre Dames, but I don't need to be a seer to see that this amp will be popular.  I'd like to thank Jason for providing the review sample and all future review samples he will provide me for long evaluation periods.  

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #536 of 959
Dec 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #537 of 959
Dec 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #538 of 959
From the LCD-X thread:

Just received a holiday card from Audez'e telling me they are planting a tree in a national forest due to my recent LCD-X purchase.  Way Cool.

Not only do they make great headphones, they are nice people too.

Happy Holidays to the Head-Fi community.

Best Regards,
RCBinTN

That's for your LCD-4.

It's like a kick-starter. God knows how long it will take them to make the cups if they just planted the tree, though 
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #540 of 959

Users who are viewing this thread

Back