Full-sized headphone that does metal decently?
May 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #31 of 63
Guess it's a matter of preference, Grado's and Alessandro's were once held highly for rock and metal (not progressive stuff). I'd recommend the Alessandro if want Grado sound with bit more bass and less brightness. That said the only headphone I ever liked for metal besides Stax earspeakers is the LCD2's. 

I would not recommend the DT770/880/990 regardless of pro or premium for metal. 

I find my FA-003's pretty good for metal, maybe find a used pair of HM5's for that matter?

May 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #32 of 63
Is getting the DT770's for 100 dollars new a good deal?

I don't think it's very smart choice anymore to drop 300 bucks on a headphone just to find out that I don't like it because it's too fatiguing/revealing with most recordings.

May 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #33 of 63
Having personal experience with it and finding it to be an excellent all around headphone when properly amped and burned-in, I recommend the KossPro4AAT.Not terribly expensive, well-controlled, great extension, flat, excellent headphone. It does resonate a bit though in the midbass sometimes. You just need to turn it down a little when that happens.

May 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #34 of 63
Having personal experience with it and finding it to be an excellent all around headphone when properly amped and burned-in, I recommend the KossPro4AAT.Not terribly expensive, well-controlled, great extension, flat, excellent headphone. It does resonate a bit though in the midbass sometimes. You just need to turn it down a little when that happens.

That HP costs 25 bucks more then the DT770, does the build quality and comfort keep up with the DT770 also?

May 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #35 of 63
Having not owned a dt770, I can't say for sure, but I can tell you that the pro4aat is built pretty solidly, and is also very comfortable. Make sure if you do get it though, that it is in fact the 4aat and not the older, 4aa. Totally different housings, and some driver differences too. 4aas supposedly clamp ridiculously tight and are quite heavy. aats are not heavy at all, and you can wear them for hours with no problems. And remember, give them plenty of burn-in time, like a minimum of 100 hours. If you listen straight out without any burn-in, you'll be underwhelmed, but give them what they need and along with a nice high-output, low impedance amp and I don't think there's much better out there, certainly not for the price.

May 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:
You think at that price range headphones like the M50 and AD700 or even the HD598 can be better for metal? Keep in mind that it needs to be a full-sized headphone.

Big fat no to the first 2. M50 bloated mess and overhyped unless you like Metal with congested treble and mids with overpowering bass (not basshead level). AD700 no bass, bright and overhyped for gaming. Unless you like Metal with no bass and ear-shattering bright vocals.

598's are just ok.

May 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #39 of 63
Op, try the HFI-580/780 instead. 

May 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #41 of 63
DT770 for 100 bucks is one hell of a bargain that at least I wouldn't be able to resist, but still I would not get them if I only had metal music in mind. Also, the Ultrasone HFI-line gets me curious too. What would make them recommendable for the particular genre though?

May 26, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:
DT770 for 100 bucks is one hell of a bargain that at least I wouldn't be able to resist, but still I would not get them if I only had metal music in mind. Also, the Ultrasone HFI-line gets me curious too. What would make them recommendable for the particular genre though?

Ultrasone = Electronic music is what most people tend to use them for. Same for the DT770/990.

May 26, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:
Big fat no to the first 2. M50 bloated mess and overhyped unless you like Metal with congested treble and mids with overpowering bass (not basshead level). AD700 no bass, bright and overhyped for gaming. Unless you like Metal with no bass and ear-shattering bright vocals.

598's are just ok.

The HD598 for most lack the bass impact that most metal fans like for the double bass drum.

But, if you listen to very technical stuff (like Beyond Creation), the HD598 does wonder. With such bands, a pair like the HD598 helps you not getting overwhelmed by the wall of sound and helps listening to everything at the same time. That's why I also have the v-moda M100. If I want more bass impact for maybe slower or more old school metal, I get the M-100, if I listen to more modern stuff with more technicalities, I go with the HD598.

May 27, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:
Looking at the MA900 and the MDR-R1 but nobody seems to have commented on these headphones ability to handle metal...

Depends on what you like to hear specifically in metal music.

Tyll Herstens has made a detailed review of the MDR-1R* (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/solid-sony-mdr-1r-mdr-1rbt-and-mdr-1nc), even putting it on his "Wall of Fame" (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed) and that's what he had to say about the sound : 

"Bass response is probably the biggest problem suffering from a lack of extension into the lowest octave and being a bit bloated in the mid-bass. The mid-range is good, but has a slightly emphasized upper-mid making the sound, especially of female vocals, present and forward, though pleasantly so. The treble is very well behaved delivering good clarity and very little, if any, treble harshness. Even though the top octave is a tad laid-back, the sense of space and audio image is surprisingly good. The balance between the bass, mids, and treble is pretty good and, though a little uneven, the overall impression is of a fairly well balanced sound."

Basically, you have a decent but slightlyy bloated bass, good mids emphasized in the upper range and great clear treble, with an overall smooth and fairly balanced sound. This could go relatively well with metal IMHO, if you are looking for a highly comfortable and portable set of headphone. It doesn't fail in any particular area and if you don't mind the slightly bloated bass and upper-mids, then for the price (199$ new) they are a good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back