Frosty Manhatttan Mini Meet & Guitar Hero II Throwdown
Feb 4, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 52
Jahn -

Before I go back to sleep:

Shiny sliver of an iPod Nano-sized but slightly wider not thicker amp is the Mini-D Box (standing on end at the base of the Mini Tower of Power in hYcrociTy's nice photo). Has some kind of rechargeable cell, but Fang forgot to bring it so I'll go pick up the charger/cable this week(?).

What tore down the Avenue? No pic visible!?

Sip of Macallan 12yr triangle label. Finally "burned in" and "optimized". Mmmm. Caramel/vanilla finish.

Okay. That wasn't audio. Will say some audiophile stuff … later …… tomorrow … later today…

Good Night.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 52
Looks like a great time was had by all. Love the cinema verité shots of the action. Your meets are becoming like ours - all about the fun and comraderie, with some audio thrown in. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Maybe a guitar hero wannabe room could be setup at the National Meet in SJ?

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a great time was had by all. Love the cinema verité shots of the action. Your meets are becoming like ours - all about the fun and comraderie, with some audio thrown in. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Maybe a guitar hero wannabe room could be setup at the National Meet in SJ?

Well, Dang! Y'all are tuned in.

The boys are thinking about it for our local NYC area meet.

They'd better gear up the idea to Nat'l/Intn'l.

GH-II is a must for all audioheads to improve their innate sense of music and their personal level of PRaT!!!

Cheers, Bud!

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #19 of 52
OMG Jahn! The car pic shows now -- and -- OMG -- that's my dream car. Literally (except for the color -- tho' that one looks hot).

All through college I had a frequently recurring dream that there was a white GT40 in front of my house. I'd get in a drive flat out cross country, through the midwest and desert (probably Rte 80 from the look of it) to CA.

Wonder what that was doing in your quiet corner of the world!?

Forget about the 2002 reissue. It ain't got it.

Never got to drive one, tho'.

Here's a cupl o' confirming GT40 pics. Couldn't find the exact white one I'd seen in college daze.

GT40 IN THE WILD (almost the right body config - but same as Jahn's vision):
Ford_GT40_15.jpg

BLING 40:
gt40-04.jpg

Close, but tiny pic:
00075-gt40-blue.jpg

Muscle & Grit:
68nur66w20Hobbs-Redman20Ford20GT40.jpg

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #20 of 52
GHII was a blast! It was like a boys day out away from the women in our lives.

I gotta get me that Stax amp, I dunno how much the melos had to do with the sound, but it was great. The Baby O's really opened up, great bass and midrange with some deep, dynamics coming out thru them. Very airy and enjoyable.

Thanks to Jahn for hosting us once again, I had a blast and the pizza (as usual) was excellent.

Hey Jahn, sorry for not being around late last night, I was too beat to stay up. Maybe we can do something tonight
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #21 of 52
yeah i couldn't believe it either, that GT40 in Gulf colors and everything - and NOT a reissue! it was insane, and i didn't even have time to click a cameraphone pic before it tore about 5 blocks down and hooked a right outta there!

gloco, that Baby O was definitely on its game that day, good stuff. come to think of it, the only can that has failed to sound good in the Tower one way or another was the R10...oh, and the modded K340. Dunno why, just fickle i guess.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #22 of 52
Man, you guys had Guitar Heroes and Lombardi's???? Why wasn't I invited?!?

Oh wait... I was invited....
biggrin.gif

Well, what can I say. I really regret missing this one. I will say it is nice finally having a bed though. Besides, my understanding is that we all need to practice else the lan-ster will kick everyone's *ss at Guitar Heroes again.
biggrin.gif

We'll have a Guitar Heroes mini meet part two sooner or later... maybe here, after I manage to dig out of the boxes and other junk that's been delivered and discover there is, in fact, an apartment under all of it...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #24 of 52
[size=large]Lan[/size] [size=medium]is[/size] [size=x-large]The Man![/size]

Jahn put up a great battle, but while he was trying to keep the tendons from popping out of his arms, and screaming like a little girl, LAN was cranking up the points at a terrifying rate.

As fast as Jahn's points racked up, Lan's passed at a steadily increasing rate -- 10% up - 20% - 50% - 80% ....... rocket-propelled Guitar Star!

And I don't think Lan broke a sweat -- or showed any sign of strain. Very Cool.

respect.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #25 of 52
Say - hYdrociTy - how 'bout some personal observations on the Tower of Portable Power!?

I'm always spouting my POV -- and we didn't have virgin Tomahawk or Hornet to compare with our very well-"burned" amps, so I might not have much worth yakking.

I can always chime in later if warranted (no, not that kind of warranted!).

Feb 5, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 52
Ok now that Ive recovered and all those nasty wtb thoughts have waned, Ill post a glimpse of what is going on in my mind. blehh... ~_~

Thanks all for making the meet so fun! Oh man I should have grabbed a slice of that pizza even though I had stuffed myself before coming... Jahn, nice apartment you got there! Very neat and great use of space. Pumpkin is the most agreeable dog Ive been with to date! It wasnt drooling and/or overly enthusiastic, but just enough to be lovable haha. I guess good personality rubs off! On your son too! His lilo hands turning teh knobs was the sight of the day!(ok I missed that exotic car motorcade). Thanks for the hospitality!

Ok I guess I'm awake enough to spit out a few "audiophile"- related adjectives[size=xx-small](bs)[/size]
wink.gif

For one who would eschew a high end transportable system to any mediocre desktop rig anyday, Im glad to be labled hypocrite now that I absolutely will be sticking with my on the go stuff and put off doing any kind of home based listening system till I move out
plainface.gif

First off, I'm very suprised at how resolving the craptastic little ipod can be!
confused.gif
When driven by the portaphile, the 580s sure picked up the oh so not very subtle colorations of each cable I tried, first the senn cable Nankai brought over, then the blue dragon and finally the revered equinox. Last time I heard senn cables was with the cardas and mobius- the benefits of the aftermarketers sure poked its head out saturday more than before. If I remember, it was the mobius that really caught my ear. This time, I really could identify with the blue dragon. I like the subtle detail it revealed, yet managing not to seem overtly bright. I sensed more ease with the more balanced sound the equinox brought to the senns, especially the 600's. The cable Nankai brought over was reminiscent of the blue dragon, but more peaky and not as robust overall- I believe it was a good cable for the 580/650 but I didnt particularly like it with the 600. For the 600 I could do with the equinox's more lush sound that compensates for in my opinion the ever so slightly brighter 600 high-mids. The blue dragon could do well with the 580/650 too, but I prefered it for the 580 more
600smile.gif
. For the value though, I would say the unidentified cable of Nankai's will be the one for me. Oh yea all of these cables passed though the (very cute) zu 1/4 to mini adapter Romanee had. Me wants one tooz
biggrin.gif

Could my ears have matured? I picked up the (albeit much more subtle compared with the headphone cables) improvement the jumbo silk had over the regular cryo dock/silver six. I guess there was a limit to my abilities as I could definately not have differentiated my silver six shooter from the regular cryo dock.

The amps! Oh boy the amps
blink.gif
. That mini-d box sure was something different. It looked like a metal business card holder, with jacks and a wheel pot. I havent spent proper time with the senns, since mine became an unfortunate casualty of a catastrophic edamame reactor leak- which also spilled its green salty protien filled waste liquid onto my equally beloved 501s.. ARRG why oh why did it have to target the discontinued gems!!
Back to the amp
rolleyes.gif
The minibox sure had big sound, bigger and more involving than most amps in the pricerange. There was a low end energy that comes with most entry level amps, but what they lack for (and this particular unit stocks) is clarity. To an extent, the low end felt like a nice home componet should. It wasn't as defined and layered as my portaphile, nor as three dimensional, but compared to my LDM+, it was the clear winner in terms of bass and mids. The highs did not sound as sterile as the LDM+(which to an extent feels very non musical), but rather a bit rounded. The soundstage was much harder to judge because of the immense rustle, no rumble, of Jahn's little speakers(warfs?) blasting off to GHII, with Lan's seemingly obscene composure vs Jahn's pathetic moans of pain
very_evil_smiley.gif

Maybe Romanee, who I think has the little business card amp may chime in with less confusing/ BS-y impressions courtesy of those golden ears of his.

The hornet. Oh teh hornet
frown.gif
. I had such high expectations for it, and it let me down(hint me not everyone else). Maybe it was coming from my recent flirtations with the SR71 (to the chagrin of teh portaphile
redface.gif
), or maybe the big fat yet textured flavor of the microamp/dm, but the little hornet seemed very uhh... dry? I'm pretty damn sure it's not dry at all but when I was listening to it, I kind of just felt like turning it off, much like I did with my sr225's(well at least after the initial post purchase honeymoon
evil_smiley.gif
). All I could think of was the contrast, it was just too black and white for me. Maybe it was just the expectations, but it could more likely be that the hornet reveals the skeletons in the ipods closet. Ill have to give this little kid a better audition another time.

The tomahawk
biggrin.gif
It is good for iems. Sounds better to me than the hornet, and more relaxed overall. The detail mining is almost on par...maybe not.. but close, with my SR71(which remains my IEM's lifeline). Still very black like the hornet, but it is both less bright on top, and the low ends had some depth to it, which I prefer for iems. The price is alright but not exciting at 300, but I would probably spring for it only if I decide to get es3 or ue10 or the like(not anytime soon)
plainface.gif

The two minutes I spent with the XM3 before it vanished means I don't have enough clout to pour bs from my mouth about it.

Did I leave anything out? Oh yea the SR71 vs Microamp/DM vs portaphile.. Damn Ill leave that love triangle out of this @_@

If there is one thing learned, it is that yes a portable/xportable rig can have the resolution required for cable rolling, and the only plecebo I've been experiencing was actually a belief(and refusal to 'hear otherwise') that a portable rig really cannot be worth the accessories people lavishly add to it. Either that was the case and the 'portable veil was lifted', or this is the best upgrade period.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 52
Very Nice, G --

That's what I was looking for. Very direct, honest, personal impressions.

Well done. No BS, from my POV.

It often takes me a long time to "percolate" and come up with something worth writing, and I've been too pressured so far -- still now -- so it may be a while.

Meanwhile, hYdro's post offers some nice insights -- and it's nice to read honest prefs that might differ from all the cliques.

The note about GHII sounds flowing down like a waterfall from upstairs was rather gently put. There were times when I was tempted to shout "put yer phones on, speakers off, and scream less!" -- but after having played 2 introductory rounds I understood the levels of excitement and passion, so... I just tried to concentrate hard enough to heard past the bkd noise. It was very challenging at some moments to really hear subtleties to fairly compare amps. Sometimes , tho', it was somewhat do-able.

Later...

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is one thing learned, it is that yes a portable/xportable rig can have the resolution required for cable rolling, and the only plecebo I've been experiencing was actually a belief(and refusal to 'hear otherwise') that a portable rig really cannot be worth the accessories people lavishly add to it.

That may be true when placed under a discerning microscope, ie. while indoors, away from the other external factors around which a portable system is normally used. But do you really think that you'd find (or care about) such subtle differences while walking thru Times Square, or on the MTA subway system?

Sounds like a fun meet though. You guys should really try some Ultrasones
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 52
There is much to be said about your ultimate up-grade in your link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If there is one thing learned, it is that yes a portable/xportable rig can have the resolution required for cable rolling, and the only plecebo I've been experiencing was actually a belief(and refusal to 'hear otherwise') that a portable rig really cannot be worth the accessories people lavishly add to it. Either that was the case and the 'portable veil was lifted', or this is the best upgrade period.

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #30 of 52
guys guys, we folks upstairs were just trying to simulate outdoor ambients for you portable guys downstairs - we were doing you a favor!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back