Frosty Manhatttan Mini Meet & Guitar Hero II Throwdown
Feb 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be true when placed under a discerning microscope, ie. while indoors, away from the other external factors around which a portable system is normally used. But do you really think that you'd find (or care about) such subtle differences while walking thru Times Square, or on the MTA subway system?

Sounds like a fun meet though. You guys should really try some Ultrasones
wink.gif

Actually most of my time is spent in library, with power plugs, so I think I will hear enough..If I'm on a subway or train, Ill stick with super.fis coming out of my ipod straight...

Ill admit there are days where I would just walk around pretty places, maybe shopping areas during the morning hours, and in the afternoon I would wander in the lonely atriums of large skyscrapers when all the little office rats are in their holes. It feels like a vacation every time! It is the experience. When Im at an exciting place, or relaxing place, I don't want to comprimise with a ipod+iem combo(especially when I see some hot thing pass by- 'with smooth criminal' blasting in my ear), and I will just lug around all my shiz in a messenger bag and frolic around the island..

I am well aware of how ownage any modest home rig can be, how I used to be "meh" concerning cables/portable rig abilities, but to each his own. I am just another craig holden...(with soundtrack added) and would trade a little eye candy, brain satisfaction, and wallet dieting for any considerate concrete concepts....

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is much to be said about your ultimate up-grade in your link.

Id love to hear about it!

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be true when placed under a discerning microscope, ie. while indoors, away from the other external factors around which a portable system is normally used. But do you really think that you'd find (or care about) such subtle differences while walking thru Times Square, or on the MTA subway system?

Sounds like a fun meet though. You guys should really try some Ultrasones
wink.gif

Hi, Jim! Last meet I brought your PXC250s but I got there so late that shortly after saying "Hi" to you and hearing a few portables you were already gone before I could hand it to you. Let's arrange for me to get it to you. It's sitting happily and quietly in its little case waiting for you. PM or email when you wish.

I tried some Ultrasones at the Nat'l meet and they didn't tickle me, but I've read that there are some very nice ones I haven't heard. Any personal recommendation(s)?

I do clearly hear the difference between the ALO Cryo Dock (not Jumbo Cryo Dock) and Jumbo Silk Dock in transit in noisy Manhattan with my iPod & 3 fave amps, Tomahawk, Portaphile, Hornet (order depends on mood) & either ES2 IEMs or PXC300s -- even in the Subways, except of course when an express train goes hurtling and banging through the stations, especially some of the smaller, more echo-ey stations. OUCH!

I've been using the Cryo for its safe flexibility, but I hear it as rather thin compared to the more robust sound that comes through the more transmissive Jumbo.

That does not mean, of course, that anyone else will care. I'm just a fussbudget. (My born-in-NYC motto is "Born Tense".)

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #33 of 52
just took the PK1 to work. here's the down low-

1) At home. Wouldn't replace the HP2 or Lambdas, but gives the DT770 a run for the money IF isolation wasn't a big deal (meaning the DT770 isolates both ways, the PK1 isn't a bother to folks, but outside folks are a bother to me.)

2) On the subway - where did the bass go? Even the PK2 maintained more bass than this! As did the koss clips and the K81Dj of course.

3) Stepping into the office - BOOM the bass is back and all the details and stuff are back when the ambients go down.

The PK1 is a strange beast. It's almost as if I had to use them as open home cans not to bother others but be bothered myself in the $150ish price range, they can't be beat. Any of these factors change however, and I would use one of my other situational cans. I would say even the PK2 has more functionality, because the PK2 is happy without an amp, while the PK1 NEEDS one (Hornet on high gain, cranked up!) and the PK2 is also happy on the go when detail isn't needed, and you still have all the frequencies represented despite the adverse ambients.

I'll have to live with both buds for one more month to be certain, but this is the way I'm leaning atm.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #34 of 52
My feelings about portable rigs,

1) an amp is too much of an inconvenience and most of them take away more than they add for me.
2) it's shape (form factor), battery charging, etc. is important since it adds/lessens the inconvenience factor.
3) no amp, no need for interconnects and such
4) sound isolation is important but
5) if you have a high resolution system, you can still hear it above the outside noise

Well I'm through with this part of the hobby. I'll still have many portable sources for situational needs but I'm just not interested in amps.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 52
that reminds me, i have to stop by J&R again because my wife threw out my camera bag strap for the SECOND time. "i thought it was trash! for the second time!" so yesterday i tried her shuffle with her ATH-CM3 buds. QUE HORIBLE. but with the PK2? just right. i could totally live with em.

(oh and if anyone is wondering, otw to work today, i had to carry my portable rig in its camera bag and put THAT in my work bag since it's the only thing with a strap. that's about as un-portable as you're going to get!

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My feelings about portable rigs,

1) an amp is too much of an inconvenience and most of them take away more than they add for me.
2) it's shape (form factor), battery charging, etc. is important since it adds/lessens the inconvenience factor.
3) no amp, no need for interconnects and such
4) sound isolation is important but
5) if you have a high resolution system, you can still hear it above the outside noise

Well I'm through with this part of the hobby. I'll still have many portable sources for situational needs but I'm just not interested in amps.

Since amps & ICs are an inconvenience and obscure the signal, and you're no longer interested in amps (and ICs & such), then from that description I don't quite understand what your prime interest is. I know you have very precisely shaped visions of what you aspire to, and I expect this one is in focus for you, but I'm not able to glean it from the words.

HD source direct to ears, or at least to aural transducers w/digital level controls at the source, etc.?

Some advanced solid storage-direct-to-neural-networks?

Please elucidate. Thanks.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 52
I'm actually loving the portability of just my Meizu M6 with the e500's. It's so easy to bring around it's not even funny.

Sounds like a fun meet. Guitar Hero is a fun game, though I've only played it once.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) On the subway - where did the bass go? Even the PK2 maintained more bass than this! As did the koss clips and the K81Dj of course.

(Hornet on high gain, cranked up!)

Buds on the commute? High gain cranked up?
redface.gif
There was a word for this.. Self-owned.
rolleyes.gif

I couldnt stand the volume(sq notwithstanding
evil_smiley.gif
) on the hornet low gain @ 12oclock with the pk1s!

You should think about custom iems.. as much as you hate them, ear canal rape is still preferable to tinittus(ugh... ive got perm tinni)
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #39 of 52
haha no worries! that was an acid test. usually i go for isolation, like my K81DJ, or use open cans for quieter places like dogwalks (koss clips under a hat for winter, HF-1 for summer).

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not able to glean it from the words.

I'm just going to stick with sources into appropriated headphones and no amp and ics
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I will keep the amps I already have.

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just going to stick with sources into appropriated headphones and no amp and ics
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I will keep the amps I already have.

Let me know when you discover/implement the solid storage/source > cerebral network connection -- if you can still communicate after that.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back