From Shame to Glory: My ATH-W5000 Experience
Aug 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

(THE STORY)

I have always been interested in these cans, they have beautiful looks, and sound characteristics that would interest me. After pulling the trigger and buying them from another member here, the anxious wait began, and so did my unexpected sonic journey. I received them right after I got home from my trip to Chicago (Yes, I enjoyed it very much
biggrin.gif
) and waiting at home for me were the ATH-W5000's.

*This is not a review, well maybe somewhat, just a journal entry into the audiophile chapters of Head-Fi. So take it easy on me lol...*

(THE INTRO)

The headphones were packaged in a nice and classy flight case, lined with red velvet and deeply snuggled in were the ATH-W5000's. Upon handling them, I was surprised that they were very light in weight, compared to the HE-5/LE. The finish and design is top notch IMO, they fit my head perfectly, as I read earlier this was an issue for some. So far, so good.

(INITIAL IMPRESSION)

Now let's plug these babies in, (my set-up: MAC> Parasound 1100HD> EF-5) Oh yes, I said EF-5... big mistake... Before purchasing these, I really doubted that the amp could change a pair of headphones so much, for better or tragically worse, and I was wrong... again... At first my heart plummeted, and I started getting a little nervous, since the sound was so harsh, thin and almost piercing, nasal and sounded off... Not sure how to describe it, but the "holographic" sound-stage was not there, it was a complete nightmare at that point. Luckily for me, It did not end there...

(THE LIGHT)

After sometime with my set-up it was blatantly obvious that the EF-5 had to much gain for these gentle phones, that or the pairing was probably the worst I have ever heard. Regardless upstairs I went, to my beloved old Technics system, an act of desperation, plugged them in, and there it was... From Shame to Glory, a smile appeared from ear to ear... Yes, I said it... My old technics system's headphone out, somehow seemed to provide me with a glimpse as to what these headphones are capable of. Sounds crazy I know, I would not have believed it myself. Now let's get into the sound a bit more.

(SOUND)

Now hearing these headphones amped somewhat properly, the sound just totally came to life. I have never heard such great extension, air and clarity as well as sense of openness in any headphone yet, and did I mention these are closed! The holographic sound-stage is not too wide nor to closed, just perfect, while the separation of the instruments is pinpoint accurate. The retrieval of detail is incredible, makes the 701's seem slightly distant, and even muffled on detail if that is even possible. Now some people seem to complain that these are bass-light, and sure they are not bass-heavy, but for me they have just the right amount of bass as to blend into the rest of the sound spectrum, not command it. Excellent slam, and definition of bass, and in my experience noticeably heavier bass than the 701.

The vocals are slightly forward and emphasized, with slight coloration if I might add. Which really surprised me the first time I heard them, but brings some magic into the vocals IMO. They are ever so clear, yet maybe not full bodied, not sure, but still the production of vocals on these are no hindrance to the headphones capabilities. All in all for me they produced the type of sound I clearly love, so effortlessly that it left me with goosebumps after hearing some of my favorite albums, and feeling sad every-time I took them off. This must be a good sign... 

(COMPARISON)

I compared this headphone directly to my K701's which I always kept, and my previous headphones from memory, so take these comparisons with a grain of salt 
wink.gif
. So you know my references to sound, I will list the headphones I have owned. K701 (currently have), DT150 (currently have), HE-5(SOLD), HE-5LE (SOLD), HD650(BEST FRIEND OWNS).

I will not write a one by one detailed comparison, since this entry is already way too long! Will sum it up according to different characteristics of the sound spectrum. IMO of course
bigsmile_face.gif

Air, Extension, Highs - ATH-W5000, K701, HE-5, HE-5LE, DT150, HD650
Mids - HE-5, ATH-W5000, HE-5LE, HD650, K701, DT150
Lows- HE-5LE, HD650, ATH-W5000, HE-5, DT150, K701
Sound-stage- ATH-W5000, K701, HE-5, HE-5LE, HD650,

In general, to me their sound signature resembles the K701's the most, with superb extension, clarity and air but with a much more bodied sound, and just on a whole more cohesive. What really make the ATH-W5000's stand apart from the 701's, is their ability to sound more musical, without the dreaded starile sound of the 701's, and inject a slightly lusher sound while making noticeable improvements in various areas of the sound spectrum.

(CONCLUSION)

The evolution of myself as a headphone and audio lover has changed dramatically after this encounter. It has proved to me that the chain of equipment needed to drive a headphone, is equally important as the headphone itself. While with the ATH-W5000 there is fine line between shame and glory, but once that glory is found, even slightly, something magical happens, it brings the music onto the airy planes of some sonic nirvana, with such sheer effortlessness and an illusive predisposition for mind numbing detail, that one is transported to a place that is rooted into the very reason why we love this hobby so much, that very place is what the ATH-W5000's are to me, and that is a place of refinement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not one for writing much, but I hope the brave few that read all this enjoy it! Also it amazes me that these don't get more recognition on here, though in some way that is not surprising, since if I did not have my extra set-up upstairs, these would have been gone...

Cheers,

-MikePio.

Eye candy below!

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 2
(UPDATE: HA-5000)

To all those interested or curious, I received the HA-5000 amplifier made specifically for the W-5000 couple of days ago. I know there have been impressions on here already, but I would like to add some more, since there seems not to be very much information regarding this amplifier. My source is the Parasound D/AC 1100HD, I know it is not optimal, but it is a decent dac that I have come to enjoy, and performs very well. 

The HA-5000's are the transparency and clarity holy grail when paired with the W5000's, the resolution and detail on the albums I have tested are astonishing. That being said I will try to pick apart the sound. The ultimate question... how does it sound with the HA-5000 compared to other amplifiers? is it that big of a difference, worth the price etc... The sound with the HA-5000 has provided an airy and more holographic soundstage, with super crisp details. The lower end is perfect IMO not overpowering, but if someone is a bass head, they will think they fall short, though have more bass presence than the 701's by far. It is also important to mention that the HA-5000 slightly smooths the sound out, but does not add significant warmth. Which matches the W5000's in character perfectly, giving some breathtaking moments. Compared to other amps, the HA-5000 provides an significant improvement in soundstage, more air, and even more detail with a touch of added lower end. It improves and places the W-5000's couple notches higher, if thats worth over 1K that is up to you to decide, but for me, it was worth every penny! 

IMO the greatest quality of the HA-5000's is providing that extra detail without adding any shrillness or sibilance into the sound, and when things get as detailed and microscopic as the W5000's that is an impressive accomplishment. The vocals and instruments seem to hang in the air, allowing the listener to immerse themselves in a musical space that ooze detail and a sound of refinement that leaves one with teary eyes. If a system can provide that kind of response, than surely it must be worth something! This was only a quick update, but hope it helps somebody out there that is on the fence whether to purchase this amplifier or not, if you enjoy your W5000's, than this is a must! Cheers, 

-MikePio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back