From nothing to doomed
Aug 2, 2010 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Technicolour

New Head-Fier
Well, I thought I'd share my audio experience and how I came to be here.

I'm 17, and I've already spent $150NZ ($70-80US about) on a pair of headphones recently and I'd probably spend a bit more if it meat a bigger gain.

It started in 06 when I got an mp3 player from my parents. Back then I was happy with the $2 crap earphones that came with them and couldn't imagine anyone, especially myself, spending money on audio on anything other than a replacement pair in the same price range. Oh how naive I was.

In 08 I felt the need, probably because my brother used a pair, to buy a pair of headphones. At that time, I (again following my brother) was foruming and my brother suggested I ask the only audio enthusiast on our forum (who also happened to be on this here forum, which I didn't know of at the time) for a suggestion for a good pair of headphones. $50 was my very high budget for something to hear songs out of. I got the Sennheiser HD201's. I have to say I enjoyed them. There was never going to be a reason to spend any more money on a pair of headphones, I could (I planned) simply buy the same pair again once they broke. Sigh. Well you can guess what happened. My brother upgraded a few months ago to a $100US (about) pair of headphones.

I had to try them on. I couldn't just enjoy my ones dammit.

This time with a bigger price bracket, yes for me it is a stretch, I set out on a lot of nagging that very same head-fi member and doing my own research. Somewhere along the way this particular member must have linked to this website because I came here during my quest. I think that was the point at which I have guaranteed/doomed myself to spend a whole lot more money on this.

And I couldn't be happier. My headphones are Creative Aurvana Lives and they are brilliant. Only having had them for a few weeks I lay down and listened to them at night recently. Afterwards as I sat thinking up this thread I realised what you had done.

All the learning about quality over quantity and comfort, open vs closed, burn-in or no burn-in has been inevitably pulling me towards again sometime in the future blowing all my money on yet another pair.

And you know why it's great? Because all of us, and now me, know what music really is. The so called "music lovers" that listen purely with iPod headphones (complete arse I now understand) won't ever know how music can sound so durastically different with another pair, how you can hear different instruments all working in unison so well in better headphones, how completely new basslines of a favourite songs will come to life and sometimes appear out of thin air.

As I said, it's great.

Just thought I'd share.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 7
This is completely true.  It seems like my music has completely changed.. It's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technicolour /img/forum/go_quote.gif

won't ever know how music can sound so durastically different with another pair, how you can hear different instruments all working in unison so well in better headphones, how completely new basslines of a favourite songs will come to life and sometimes appear out of thin air.

As I said, it's great.

Just thought I'd share.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 7
I refuse to get a pair of Stax, even though a used entry-level pair has been within my budget a couple of times.

That would enter me on a whole new upgrade path that leads to thousands of dollars, and I can't afford that.  I'd love to hear what a pair of Stax can do, but in another way, I just don't want to know.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 7
And after that you'll have to buy it - mwahahaha.

Quote:
joelpearce said:
joelpearce
I'd love to hear what a pair of Stax can do, but in another way, I just don't want to know.

> Creative Aurvana Lives

I went from denon d1001 (same drivers) to sennh hd25, to Denon D5000 to Stax SRS-2050a to Stax SR-404/SRM-300. Haven't regretted any of the moves. Although the Denons made me like fuller sound, hence the switch to SR-404.

>how you can hear different instruments all working in unison so well in better headphones, how completely new basslines of a favourite songs will come to life and sometimes appear out of thin air.

you know, sometimes I think hearing new things in songs may be partially to unconsciously listening more carefully while trying to justify my new 'investment'. at least as much as it is from a different frequency emphasis or a higher detail level.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
 At that time, I (again following my brother) was foruming and my brother suggested I ask the only audio enthusiast on our forum (who also happened to be on this here forum, which I didn't know of at the time) for a suggestion for a good pair of headphones.

Name that guy please 
wink_face.gif
 I came here via Google looking for info on the Audio Technica AD500 (ended up getting the AD700). 2 and a half years later the rest is history 
wink_face.gif

Bye bye about three grand NZD and my upgraditis....for now.......I hope *looks around* Tbh, $150NZD is close to $105US now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back