Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #61 of 867
Quote:
Once I get my impressions and reshelled monitors back from Dream Earz, I might have to place an order for these C4. Hopefully the sale is still on by then.
Edit: Jk maybe not. Just saw the sale is over. Bummer.

There's still a 15% sale if you're interested. Hopefully your 7X turns out perfect. What was the sound sig like again? You said you wanted clarity monsters as a change from the 7X.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #62 of 867
Quote:
Strongly agree with this, the C4 + J3 lacks oomph. The C4 + Sansa Clip has oomph but is lacking in dynamics. Am currently considering a better DAP to pair the C4 with. After a few weeks of having had them, they are still wonderful to my ears.

Im curious how you set the J3 up when you first got it, mine had EU option or outside EU/China option? The EU option has a volume limiter in accordance with EU volume law.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #63 of 867
Quote:
Im curious how you set the J3 up when you first got it, mine had EU option or outside EU/China option? The EU option has a volume limiter in accordance with EU volume law.

I can clear this one up very quickly - I'm in the UK but I set my J3 firmware to the outside EU option. This basically means that the J3 outputs approximately 33% more volume than the EU-limited volume option.

That just changes the max volume. It does not lower the output impedance of the output stage. It absolutely does NOT improve the shortcomings with not having enough grunt for low-impedance mutli-BA IEMs/CIEMs.

Also, playing around with the EQ will not solve the problem either.

As much as I like the J3 (it has so many positive points), it simply does not have a good enough output stage to properly drive low-impedance mutli-BA IEMs/CIEMs.

I wish it did but it doesn't.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #65 of 867
How much of an increase are we looking at when amped? Is it worth buying an amp in the long run? Also, in a few years, i'll be heading off to college and im not sure i would like to bring a bulky desktop amp/dac just for audio use.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #66 of 867
Quote:
How much of an increase are we looking at when amped? Is it worth buying an amp in the long run? Also, in a few years, i'll be heading off to college and im not sure i would like to bring a bulky desktop amp/dac just for audio use.

Will have the C4 back this week and next week i will have a Apex Glacier with me for pairing. If it's for portable use, something slim as a glacier or a pico slim will be good but i'm not sure how much they will improve the sound. Most of the IEMs i have tried have a better soundstage and imaging when paired with a suitable portable amp. The C4's soundstage and imaging already phenomenon and it will be interesting to see how much is the improvement.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #67 of 867
Will have the C4 back this week and next week i will have a Apex Glacier with me for pairing. If it's for portable use, something slim as a glacier or a pico slim will be good but i'm not sure how much they will improve the sound. Most of the IEMs i have tried have a better soundstage and imaging when paired with a suitable portable amp. The C4's soundstage and imaging already phenomenon and it will be interesting to see how much is the improvement.

I would be happy if I could find something that is both portable, yet could still be used as a computer amp. From HideousPride, I heard that it doesn't scale too well with the O2.

What happened with your C4s, where did you send it?

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #68 of 867
Ive read good things about using the dx100 with CIEMS and also the hifiman 801 although with the hifiman you have to factor in a extra $160 for the gamecard which is a amp card designed for CIEMS, my other option is to get a amp/dac thats compatable with android jellybean and hook that up to my s3 via a usb on the go cable. Generally the lower impedance less voltage and more milliwatts are required although theres no official sensitivity specs for the frogbeats they are not as sensitive as the shure 535's by quite a long shot which isn't a bad things as the 535's will reveal if a amp suffers from hiss.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #69 of 867
Quote:
I would be happy if I could find something that is both portable, yet could still be used as a computer amp. From HideousPride, I heard that it doesn't scale too well with the O2.

What happened with your C4s, where did you send it?

The right shell of my C4 is a little loose on my ear and i often had to press it hard to get a good seal. so i sent it back to David for refitting.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #71 of 867
I've been anxiously watching my impressions on the DHL tracker go up to Sydney, then to Frankfurt; Leipzig; East Midlands; Edinburgh; Glasgow; Delivery Courier...

and then "Delivery attempted; recipient not home - Shipment on hold"
eek.gif

Oh well, maybe they'll get delivered tomorrow
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #73 of 867
1st class USPS is the way to go. It can be surprisingly fast. And dreadfully slow by the same token.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #74 of 867
Quote:
I've been anxiously watching my impressions on the DHL tracker go up to Sydney, then to Frankfurt; Leipzig; East Midlands; Edinburgh; Glasgow; Delivery Courier...

and then "Delivery attempted; recipient not home - Shipment on hold"
eek.gif

Oh well, maybe they'll get delivered tomorrow
frown.gif

I had the same, shipped Royal Mail and Frogbeats haven't picked up my impressions since they attempted delivery on Monday! I wonder if they have the week off?

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #75 of 867
On my case my impressions arrived there on Thursday, I got the same message from DHL, recipient not home

I contacted David and he told me the next day they wold be picking the package at the DHL office, and indeed it happened like he said.

If they have the tracking number they should be picking them soon, the next day at much, I am not really sure why DHL did not find them I didn't ask David
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back