Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Jun 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #811 of 867
Quote:
Silver cable definitely works; I have the silver ray and there is noticeable extra brilliance up top and more presence in vocals (= more upper mids). Soundstage is less concave, too.

Unfortunately, the bass, which was already pretty fast (the one aspect a silver cable can improve), still has a mahousive hump in 100-200Hz range, bleeding all over the frigging place. Fiio X3 with 100Hz bass cut looks pretty attractive to this C4 owner...

I'd agree with you there about the soundsstage, mids, and the treble. Though I'm not sure if I'd phrase the quality of the bass the way you did though. I would say its more of a prominence as opposed to it "bleeding all over the frigging place". I like that blend of warmth and clarity that the C4+SPC offers, but of course that's just me.

If it matters to you the TF10 airline adapter (100ohm thingy) does somewhat tame the bass and offers a tad bit more "brilliance up top".

@eve: I have the SPC hybrid, and I confirmed with Ted that he uses the SPC as the lead and the copper as the ground. So I'm thinking that the hybrid and all SPC would be the same. I recommend just getting the all SPC cable because the copper bits in cable are already going green... #What

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #812 of 867
Jun 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #813 of 867
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #815 of 867
Quote:
Which site did you guys go to order the C4's?  The one I found says they are about $900+.  Not oo long ago they were only about $800+.  Have they gone up that much already in price?

They were originally $900. Price might be currency fluctuations. Or it could be that they no longer have the 5%/10% discount.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #825 of 867
Quote:

Cool, thanks for the tip, itshot. Do you have any links to appropriate resistors?

I'm not sure if this is directed at uelover or me. For what it's worth... in my opinion, there is only ONE interpretation of neutral. That is: Technically Neutral, in other words - flat FR and fast drivers (short decay) across the spectrum. OK so there is some lee-way given the recording equipment and the ears of the mastering engineer. But if you've listened to enough mixing sessions (I work in broadcast post production so take a dubbing suite running ProTools via a 192 into good monitors eg Genelecs as my reference), you know what neutral means.

If people have their own tastes and preferences, that's fine, but there is no question as to 'neutrality'. In my case, I prefer a more treble-y sound compared to the average joe on the street. I do not, however, let this personal preference influence my understanding of 'neutral'.

Sorry if this sounds like a mini-rant, but I am sick and tired of reading poorly written reviews etc, in which words like 'neutral' are used not so much for their specific meanings, but rather as a generic compliment (ie 'neutral' = I like this sound because I have awesome ears and the internet tells me awesome ears appreciates flatness). Ugh.

Thank god I dug a little deeper into this thread. Like yourself, LFFs initial review (plus a few comments I was seeing) had me choosing the CR4 over the UERM. And I would was presently weighing up the risks of going with a startup company that has had less than ideal turn around and customer service. I'm an audio engineer too, and I really struggle with a lot of the subjective opinion on this forum. I agree with you about what "neutral" or "flat" really is. It has nothing to do with personal taste or preference.

I'm looking to purchase my first Custom IEM for the main purposes of Mixing/Mastering music, both live and in studio. Would you recommend the UERM? Or is there something else out there?
Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back