Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Apr 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #571 of 867
Quote:
Burn in does not drastically change balances armature sound. So I see four possibilities:
  1. You have a fit issue
  2. Your unit is deffective
  3. You do not like the C4 sound signature
  4. This CIEM has been overhyped

Thanks for the comments.

I just thought of another possibility:  a mismatch with the Cowon J3 that I'm using to drive them.

Well I just plugged them into my computer using the sound chip on the M/B and they sound dramatically better.  The bloat and vagueness is gone,  everything is more distinct.

Not sure what to do now.  The J3 is the only portable source I have.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #572 of 867
Quote:

Thanks for the comments.

I just thought of another possibility:  a mismatch with the Cowon J3 that I'm using to drive them.

Well I just plugged them into my computer using the sound chip on the M/B and they sound dramatically better.  The bloat and vagueness is gone,  everything is more distinct.

A customs should sound at least ok with J3.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #574 of 867
Are you sure the headphone jack is plugged into your J3 snug?

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #575 of 867
Quote:
My C4s arrived today, in transit for 7 days, 3 to get to Sydney, another 4 to make the 450k down the coast to me....

Hmm, I'm eyeing a F111 myself. Might get one soon after the tax collectors clean my account >.<
Quote:
Burn in does not drastically change balances armature sound. So I see four possibilities:
  1. You have a fit issue
  2. Your unit is deffective
  3. You do not like the C4 sound signature *
  4. This CIEM has been overhyped

Well that was the issue I had, so soundstage was vastly changed.
I'm not sure if I enjoy the sig or not.
This thread has been the FOTM once, so I wouldn't be surprised if the bias subconsciously made me have high expectations.
Quote:

Thanks for the comments.

I'm at a loss too for a new source. Using a CS 4398 DAC with an O2 amp and everything sounds so distant. Without any intimacy that I would e xpect from a CIEM. I really want to use that Sennheiser HDVD800 amp again~

I guess the C4s are picky with their sources.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #578 of 867
Quote:

Wow this is weird... I was looking into one of those as my next purchase a few months down the line too.

Nothing strange. FitEar does seem to be the "dream company" to go to. Tg334s are quite a bit out of budget. Customs are out of the question. But the F111s is a nice "entry" level of FitEar Sound.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #579 of 867
Quote:
Hmm, I'm eyeing a F111 myself. Might get one soon after the tax collectors clean my account >.<
Well that was the issue I had, so soundstage was vastly changed.
I'm not sure if I enjoy the sig or not.
This thread has been the FOTM once, so I wouldn't be surprised if the bias subconsciously made me have high expectations.
I'm at a loss too for a new source. Using a CS 4398 DAC with an O2 amp and everything sounds so distant. Without any intimacy that I would e xpect from a CIEM. I really want to use that Sennheiser HDVD800 amp again~

I guess the C4s are picky with their sources.

Perhaps, definately the C4s and J3 arent't a happy marriage.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #583 of 867
Quote:

To my ears this C4 & J3 combo doesn't.  

Reading back through the thread I see there are other comments about the less than ideal match of the C4 & J3 although they don't seem as negative as my experience.

I think expensive isn't always best. Ran into the same problem with my J3 and the C4, sounded muffled and distant to me. Even preferred my IPhone5 as a source over it.

If you're looking for a source, try the Sansa Clip+ as a portable pairing. Very affordable at around ~$50 after you tack on a 16/32gb storage card, great utility and customization after you rockbox it. Only slight gripe I have with it is dynamic range.

Sticking with mine and have no desire to upgrade my source to one of those boutique $500+ DAPs.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #584 of 867
Have you checked to see if the pins on the cables are the same way round?

Other than that see if you can borrow an mp3 player from a friend to try.  Failing THAT see if you can pick up a cheap sansa clip just to try.

If all else fails shoot frogbeats an email and see what they suggest.

Cheers

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #585 of 867
I have a clip+, sounds better than my iphone 3gs and motherboard line out. I really need to throw some money at a DAC/AMP for the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back