Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Aug 24, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #136 of 388
I didn't like the discrete buffers that come with the P5 at first. They take some burning in. After a few days they are sounding better and better. And wiith the dual buf634 biased to the wide bandwidth, the soundstage is very transparent, large and dynamic. This amp is a lot of fun as the rewards are great. 

For power, I am finding that the volume control is about the same place as my home amp, depending upon the gain setting of course. Even with hard to drive headphones it acts like a home amp with plenty of power. I would say it use about 1/2 the of the potential volume. And while volume does in no way equate to the quality of sound, if you have quality of sound, then it is important to have plenty of voltage swing and current available, which this does. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #137 of 388
The first thing I'm going to do when I get a P5 is going to be all out metal can just for bragging rights, will probably be:

Amp: 2xOPA627SM
Buffer: 2xOPA637SM
Ground: 2xBUF03AJ or HA2-5002-2 if I can find them.
that is too rich for my blood, looking forward to your finding :D

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #138 of 388

More of the P5. Power & Precision.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 26, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #139 of 388
  I have a P5 here now. My impression so far is that this is a top desktop amp in a portable package. I am running the buf634 in wide bandwidth and the opa627. I tried the transistor buffers that are supplied but prefer the buf634. Amazing what they have done. Looking inside is cool, all milled aluminum, no stamped out or extruded case on the P5 or PS and the fit and finish are the best I have seen and is as good as any high quality German or Swiss instruments. It has to be seen to be believed and then the sound. . . too cool. 

How does it match up to fi.quest? and the battery life in you current config? Thank you in advance 
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #140 of 388
  How does it match up to fi.quest? and the battery life in you current config? Thank you in advance 
beerchug.gif

If you run biased buffers in the ground and in the buffer output, it pulls a lot of current. It also a few hours like this on the batteries. I haven't timed it but it is enough for normal listening. If you use normal buffers or use the bypass the buffers with the included bypass sockets, you can get quite a few hours of use. There are really so many variables and combinations that you pretty much make it do what you want. 

I have all Black Gates in my fi quest and it was the standard for a long time. It is retired now as this amp is better in all areas. Long live the fi-quest. :^)

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #141 of 388
If you run biased buffers in the ground and in the buffer output, it pulls a lot of current. It also a few hours like this on the batteries. I haven't timed it but it is enough for normal listening. If you use normal buffers or use the bypass the buffers with the included bypass sockets, you can get quite a few hours of use. There are really so many variables and combinations that you pretty much make it do what you want. 

I have all Black Gates in my fi quest and it was the standard for a long time. It is retired now as this amp is better in all areas. Long live the fi-quest. :^)

Interesting. Haven't hear an amp that is better than fi.quest yet. Will wait for my local dealers to have P5 instock for audition before making the decision as to should i buy P5 or not. I suspect the battery life will be quite short if i'm to run P5 as per my fi.quest config.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #142 of 388
does the PSP5 power supply has a big internal Rechargeable Battery or is it only for using the P5 connected to the AC main ? 

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #144 of 388
  does the PSP5 power supply has a big internal Rechargeable Battery or is it only for using the P5 connected to the AC main ? 

I dont think there is a battery in the power supply itself

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #145 of 388
The PS is a toroid transformer and the circuit board to convert to DC for the P5. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #146 of 388
Aug 31, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #147 of 388
I have to agree with Jamato regarding how the P5 humbles my desktop amps so far. The build quality just has to be seen to really be appreciated. It for sure exceeded my expectations. So far, I have been running the stock opamps and haven't tried anything from the rolling kit. As soon as I get familiar with the native sound I will try some of my custom buffer modules and see what happens. So far, the transportable amp that comes closest is my Scherzo Andante which is no longer in production although the P5 has much greater output capability.

I can't make any comments on battery run time as I am only using the power supply.

Truly a thing of beauty, both to the eyes as well as to the ears!

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #148 of 388
The first thing I'm going to do when I get a P5 is going to be all out metal can just for bragging rights, will probably be:

Amp: 2xOPA627SM
Buffer: 2xOPA637SM
Ground: 2xBUF03AJ or HA2-5002-2 if I can find them.

There might be better choices for buffer use, as the OPA637 is a high-gain, low current device. Buffers typically are low-gain, high-current devices. I have had best success with ground and buffer opamps having fairly similar current capabilities. Unfortunately, there are relatively few dedicated buffer opamps in comparison to the number of amplifier opamps.

Pin basing tends to be non-standard in some of the better buffers.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #150 of 388
^ I haven't tried it myself but I've seen an amp that uses OPA637 as buffers for OPA627 L/R, so I wanted to try it, but I can't argue with your logic.

Some years back, I tried the 637 in a number of different applications but found it to be pretty fussy to get right and never could hear any audio differences over the 627 which is much easier to work with. FWIW, the BUF03AJ is a very high-draw device. It is around 25ma per device. With the power supply, that wouldn't be a big issue, but they would suck down batteries in short order.

I will likely be using custom modules built from LT1010 and/or LME49600 and HA5002 in ground. These buffers worked very well in the PB2 but are tedious to build. I sent several sets out to some of my customers to be beta-tested but have not yet received their impressions and comparisons.

I am not a big fan of the biased Buf634 as the wider bandwidth really doesn't add any benefit at audio frequencies and requires more quiescent current. IMO, stacked buffers are a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back