Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Sep 23, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #166 of 388
NEW! Topkit especially designed for P5 has launched!

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #167 of 388
Oct 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #170 of 388
Can anyone explain how buffers alter the sound to non geeks like me? :)

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #171 of 388
Can anyone explain how buffers alter the sound to non geeks like me? :)

An ideal buffer is a low-voltage, high current amplifying device that serves 2 primary purposes. The first and arguably the most important is that it serves as an impedance-matching device between the input opamps and the output load. A buffer has a very high input impedance which allows the pre-amp (L/R) opamps to deliver their rated characteristics without the frequency abberrations caused by working directly into a low-impedance source such as headphones or IEM's.

The second useful function of an ideal buffer is to provide a significant gain in output power over that of the L/R opamps. This power gain is characteristic of a device designed primarily for use as a buffer.

While using a L/R opamp with a bypassed or dummy buffer will not harm an amplifier, it will affect the frequency response of the device. To some ears, the changes in frequency response might be pleasing, while to others the sound may well be unacceptable. At any rate, without the use of a suitable buffer, the true frequency response of the L/R opamp will be changed by some unknown value unless evaluated with the appropriate test equipment.

A few (but very few) devices are designed as a combination pre-amp/buffer combination. One such device is the AD8397 audio opamp.

I hope this is of some use in clarifying the use of buffers in solid-state amplifier circuits!

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #172 of 388
Hi all, im wondering, can the power supply charge the portable source when its plugged into the mains?

I have been thinking about the chord mojo, but now ive seen this, i dont know what to do. The idea is just to use it at work, not commutes. This does look good.

What is a good source that has the same dimensions, to have a neat stack.

Do the Shure se846 sound good with this?

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #173 of 388
Hi all, im wondering, can the power supply charge the portable source when its plugged into the mains?

I have been thinking about the chord mojo, but now ive seen this, i dont know what to do. The idea is just to use it at work, not commutes. This does look good.

What is a good source that has the same dimensions, to have a neat stack.

Do the Shure se846 sound good with this?

The power supply can only charge the P5 itself when rechargeable 9v cells are installed. It cannot charge upstream sources. DX50/90 stack well as does the QLS-QA360. Others of similar size will also match well.

While I don't own the SE846, the P5 sounds stunning with all of my IEM's or over-ear phones. (listed in my sig.)

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #175 of 388
The power supply can only charge the P5 itself when rechargeable 9v cells are installed. It cannot charge upstream sources. DX50/90 stack well as does the QLS-QA360. Others of similar size will also match well.

While I don't own the SE846, the P5 sounds stunning with all of my IEM's or over-ear phones. (listed in my sig.)

Thank you for this :)

A somewhat strange question...
Lets just say the dx90 is used when setup on a desktop.

When the p5 is plugged in to the mains psu block, what is the best way to use the UI on the dx90?
I would assume it is to big/awkward/heavy to pick up the whole stack with psu connected and navigate the UI.
So would one put rubber bands around the amp and dx90, and by using a long power interconnect, navigate the ui with both in the hand?

Alternatively would I instead use a longer mini to mini interconnect and leave the amp attatched to the psu and bring the dx90 close to myself.

I hope this makes sense.

If this last method is best, what length mini to mini cable should i use?

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #178 of 388
Yes both acting in different worlds, one is a DAC/AMP with USB, optical and coax input, buitl-in battery, the other one is a AMP only with analog input + external PSU, OPA/buffer can be changed and no built-in battery (two 9V block battery needed).

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #180 of 388
How good is the dac in the dx90, would it be advised to use standalone dac to bridge between p5 and dx90?

The DX90 has quite a good DAC, however it is somewhat fiddly to get it to function as a standalone DAC, requiring one to download and install drivers for MAC or PC. For Linux, no drivers are available. As an internal file player, it works fine via line-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back