Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Sep 1, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #151 of 388
I have to agree with Jamato regarding how the P5 humbles my desktop amps so far. The build quality just has to be seen to really be appreciated. It for sure exceeded my expectations. So far, I have been running the stock opamps and haven't tried anything from the rolling kit. As soon as I get familiar with the native sound I will try some of my custom buffer modules and see what happens. So far, the transportable amp that comes closest is my Scherzo Andante which is no longer in production although the P5 has much greater output capability.

I can't make any comments on battery run time as I am only using the power supply.

Truly a thing of beauty, both to the eyes as well as to the ears!

Wait until it really burns in. And on the discrete  buffers, they need time to open up, IMO. Unbelievable case work on this amp. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #152 of 388
With the PS, would this P5 come anywhere near the AT-HA5000, or is that desktop amp in a different league?

Does iBasso still plan on building a desktop DAC & amp, or is the P5 as desktop-ish as they will go? There was mention of a 4x ES9018 DAC desktop DAC a few years ago, when the DX100 came out. I'd rather invest in something like that, with a true desktop amp with ø6.3mm output. Add a balanced output, and I think quite some happy iBasso users would be tempted.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #153 of 388
FWIW, the BUF03AJ is a very high-draw device. It is around 25ma per device. With the power supply, that wouldn't be a big issue, but they would suck down batteries in short order.

That's why I'm drawn to them, just thinking of 50mA being guzzled gets me excited, it's like the portable amp equivalent of a V8 Hemi 
biggrin.gif
 Will probably have around 3-4 hours of battery life hehehe.

Here's an idea, 4x BUF03 in buffer and ground for 100mA current guzzling action ahaha, that's a portable amp V12 for ya 
evil_smiley.gif
 Put down your bets on the battery life (if you can call it a life) 
tongue.gif

Actually 4x BUF03 and 100mA is exceeding the limit of current 2x 9v batteries can provide, so probably not a good idea.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #154 of 388
One thing I noticed on the P5 is that the Bass Boost is very subtle. It does not sound artificial or adversely affect lower mids or vocals. Normally I don't use EQ but the P5 implementation just seems to add more life and realism to the sound and I find I use it more often than not.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #155 of 388
One thing I noticed on the P5 is that the Bass Boost is very subtle. It does not sound artificial or adversely affect lower mids or vocals. Normally I don't use EQ but the P5 implementation just seems to add more life and realism to the sound and I find I use it more often than not.

That is what I noticed. I normally do not like any equalizer or bass adjustment but this seems to be much more natural and works well with the recording without being a noticeable bass boomy boost. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #156 of 388
Been burning it in for around 75 hours now, it sounds very good, probably the best portable amp I have ever tried. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #157 of 388
  Been burning it in for around 75 hours now, it sounds very good, probably the best portable amp I have ever tried. 

For me it is beating all my home amps except for the Zotl micro, but then the micro I think is one of the best amps there is. With that in mind, I am amazed at how close the P5 is. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #158 of 388
I could easily live with the P5 as my only amp!

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #159 of 388
I just put the HA5002 in the ground channel. I like the result, Very dynamic and transparency seems to be a little improved though the transparency is already excellent. It could be there is a blacker background. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #160 of 388
Do any of you plan on reviewing this bad boy?

I have an asus essence III which is honestly rly good. It can hiss a little with more sensitive iems so im considering this for my iems and for travel

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #161 of 388
Do any of you plan on reviewing this bad boy?

I have an asus essence III which is honestly rly good. It can hiss a little with more sensitive iems so im considering this for my iems and for travel

My review should be up over the weekend. 

It's awesome, sounds incredible with IEMs and headphones. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #162 of 388
  My review should be up over the weekend. 

It's awesome, sounds incredible with IEMs and headphones. 

I am looking forward to reading what you hear. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #163 of 388
My review is up:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-p5-portable-amplifier/reviews/14027

I really think that this is the best portable amp that I have tried. Would be interesting to see if there will be a version with just the P5 and no PS. It would be better for those who want to use the P5 as a portable amp only. 

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #165 of 388
The P5 is doing a great job driving my Pioneer Master 1 headphones. Plenty of bass control and a wide open soundstage, when recorded that way. Extension from highs to lows is there. No claustrophobic feeling to the sound, that some amps can give. It competes with my best desktop, which is great but a little depressing considering how much I have in my latest desktop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back