Frequencys/Songs with "effect" on the human body
Feb 9, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 144
I run multiple highly capable subwoofers and have never once felt that they impacted bodily functions. This topic has come up in the past so a group of us setup an informal experiment to see if we noticed any actual impact to our digestive systems.

We identified three things:
  • There didn't seem to be any additional bathroom urges
  • Listening to bass test tones down to 15db at up to 120db isn't fun. While it didn't create any bathroom extravaganza, we were all exhausted after a couple hours of bass beyond what anyone is likely to experience in music/movie playback
  • Keep fingers away from the cone of a sub with an XMAX of 4" and 2500 watts RMS. Someone (not me) found that out the hard way.
Almost definitely placebo though clearly, no hard conclusion can be drawn from this limited exercise.
it wasnt something that was "easly obvious" so im unsure myself, atleast subjectively i would say i had to go to the bathroom a little more often "on average", like maybe (sometimes) 3 times instead of 2 times in 8 hours, tho this could be easly normal variance, but atleast i noticed this more than once which made me "consider" the possiblity already a while ago, tho it wasnt something that was very consistent
thats why i would say it -maybe- helps "supporting" things a little but nothing that forces you to or whatever

and yes low frequencys are quite exhausting, atleast for me they make you a little dizzy/sleepy sometimes after long exposure, tho they are also fun to listen to (maybe not at 120db tho :D)

Edit:
maybe this is also a sideeffect of increased hearthrate with "uptempo" music, where studys already exist for

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 144
subjectively i would say i had to go to the bathroom a little more often "on average", like maybe (sometimes) 3 times instead of 2 times in 8 hours

Thanks for sharing. Your invaluable information has furthered the quest of science to uncover the truth.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 144
Thanks for sharing. Your invaluable information has furthered the quest of science to uncover the truth.
no problem :wink: where is my medal?
thanks for taking my response out of context btw just like gregorio seems to do

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 144
royal-style-gold-toilet-5.jpg

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #20 of 144
apparently mine as the umik-1 suggests
You didn’t answer the question. Also, at such low freqs and such low levels, measurement mics are notoriously inaccurate and, how do you know what you measured was just the speaker output and not some room resonance?
a "good starting point" is being unbiased imo
As this is the sound science subforum and as science requires skepticism, then being unbiased towards any old nonsense you come across on the internet is not a “good starting point”, a good starting point is therefore skepticism until there is reliable evidence. However, your assertion is false because clearly you are not unbiased, you consistently argue for audiophile myths and against the science, and you consistently support your arguments with typical audiophile fallacies and never with any factual/scientific evidence.
maybe i indeed choose the wrong subforum, tho for me this should be a scientific topic since there are also studys backing things up
What studies?
i would also suggest seeing it more on the subjective side of things
What do you think I do for a living and how could I be more subjective?
maybe this is also a sideeffect of increased hearthrate with "uptempo" music, where studys already exist for
What studies show that what you’re claiming is a side-effect of the increased heart rate with tempo?

G

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 144
You didn’t answer the question. Also, at such low freqs and such low levels, measurement mics are notoriously inaccurate and, how do you know what you measured was just the speaker output and not some room resonance?
it could be room response, i never claimed its purely the speaker (tho room simulators show that the last resonance is at 40-45hz)
atleast the umik-1 is as the manufacture says accurate between 20 and 20khz and i dont think its that far off at 15hz

What studies?
about binaural/monaural beats and isochonic tones

What studies show that what you’re claiming is a side-effect of the increased heart rate with tempo?
increased metabolism for example

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #22 of 144
Feb 11, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 144
There has been a bunch of studies on the influence of music in restaurants. Most of what I recall is quite old and I have no idea how reliable it was. Nowadays most studies about music are really just the data group within Spotify giving them stats(which is great for sample size, but seems to have become the only source of data and that is a problem too).
Anyway, I remember music linked to everything(no prisoner) from how fast people would eat, how happy they were, and even how much more they would spend.
I know I'll walk faster listening to Money For Nothing than the lullaby from Brahms.

I'm not sold on one frequency having much meaning(The audio relaxation or concentration stuff inevitably makes me sleepy). If I want to focus I'll put on elevator musi... I mean Albinoni(I do love the 2 pieces everybody claims he didn't write:smiling_imp:).
I don't know about effect on the human body but I've been told in confidence that "music soothes even the savage beast".

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #24 of 144
I think personal taste might make a huge difference. I know some people happily walk down the street listening to stuff that would put me into catatonic shock.

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #25 of 144
There has been a bunch of studies on the influence of music in restaurants. Most of what I recall is quite old and I have no idea how reliable it was.
Physiological and Psychological effects of hearing/listening to music are very well established and well studied. The Romans were using music on the battlefield for its physiological and psychological effects over 2,000 years ago and music theory and composition was employing more sophisticated applications starting around 700 years ago. So I’m not disputing this fact or of Binaural beats, which were demonstrated/proven nearly two centuries ago. What I’m asking for is the studies claimed to exist for this:
You haven’t answered, what studies already exist which show what you’ve claimed is a side-effect of increased heart rate with uptempo music?
increased metabolism for example
Yes, there is a wealth of evidence going back centuries that music tempo affects heart rate. But what reliable evidence/studies are there that your claims of physiological effects (going to the bathroom, etc.) are “a side effect of increased heart rate” (with uptempo music)?

G

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #26 of 144
like i said before, its just a guess

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #27 of 144
like i said before, its just a guess
This isn’t the “guess” subforum, it’s the Sound Science forum and it’s certainly not the guess forum for things (certain physiological responses for example) that have already been reliably demonstrated to be non-existent marketing BS!

G

Feb 11, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #28 of 144
If you'd listen to people with more knowledge and experience than you, you wouldn't have to guess so much. You might learn something. It should be clear to you that Gregorio is a very good resource for information. But you're dicking around with him and pissing him off. That's a wasted opportunity. It's OK. to not know stuff. That's fine. But if you don't know, switch your mouth off and switch your ears on. If you're going to speak, ask questions, don't guess.

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #30 of 144
On a related note: "Studies show that watching a beaver eat cabbage lowers stress by 17%"

If the Beaver would eat Cabbage and play the Cello whilst doing so, it would be 20+, just saying 🤯

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back