Frequencys/Songs with "effect" on the human body
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #31 of 144
Peaks in the upper mids/treble will make me blink or ever so slightly wince, or both, occasionally. I either get used to it (I have a pretty nice higher-frequencies callous now) or I ditch the headphones (in the case of the HD569), or change the signal chain. The Pro-ject DAC Box E, for example, is rather bright. I don't have anything to pair with it at the moment.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #32 of 144
That’s because of the Fletcher Munson curve. Ears are more sensitive to those frequencies than other ones. Imbalances in the upper mods are the most important ones to correct.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #33 of 144
Or because the worms living behind his eyes are sensitive to that sound and they all shake in harmony when stimulated by it.
Or the alien chip implanted in his brain is getting triggered. On the alien planet, the atmosphere density is very different and sounds in the kHz are so rare they use it for their remotes.
I think I'm pretty good at this, maybe I should be an open minded elite audiophile myself? It's freeing to not care about facts or the laws of physics while imagining causes for stuff.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #34 of 144
You forgot resonant frequencies above the range of human hearing that set the jelly in your eye to vibrating like jello!

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #35 of 144
Gotta watch out for Yeerks.

Anyway, you know what the high-end audio shop I was in contact with did when I was trying to figure out their unit? I first gave them my subjective impression of which position I prefered the bypass switch in, in terms of sound quality. So they sent me a revised manual for the product which confirmed my bias, hahaha. Yes the unit is in the circuit when the bypass switch is in a 'down' position! I persevered and figured it out, and the opposite was true.
The guy I was talking to blamed the revised manual on a colleague. But I'd only been talking to him (the man in charge, I believe) the whole time. They had to get a demo unit out to figure out how their product worked hahahaha

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #36 of 144
That’s because of the Fletcher Munson curve. Ears are more sensitive to those frequencies than other ones. Imbalances in the upper mods are the most important ones to correct.
probably, tho what i find strange is in the case of the song Disturbed - Open Your Eyes, its not like you "painfully" have to close your eyes, it rather seems like a reflex,
but like i said in the first post, i think its probably a combination out of specific frequency and dynamic, atleast thats my guess

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 144
Interesting discussion is this the same line on reasoning like with infrasound effects?

Mar 17, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #38 of 144
Sub bass definitely creates a kinesthegic response in people (and animals). My dog hates it.

Mar 17, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #39 of 144
Interesting discussion is this the same line on reasoning like with infrasound effects?
yes pretty much, infrasonic frequencys (so, lets say sinewaves under 20hz) have a very similar effect of binaural beats (also under 20hz) imo it makes you kinda numb, you feel kinda "deaf" and other effects depending on the frequency, one exception may be 7.83hz, i feel exceptional "normal" listening to 7.83hz in monuaral/binaural beats

also it seems like there isnt a hard cut from the effects of infrasonic at 20hz, imo you really start feeling effects of bass from around 40-60hz down, tho infrasonics may be still a bit more unpleasent
and i actually believe the reports on "bad infrasonics" tho some of it may be a bit overhyped or atleast it isnt 100% the case with music volume levels

imo the effect of infrasonics (not just infrasonics actually) is even greater than from binaural effects, since (atleast that makes somewhat sense to me) the brain doesnt need to reconstruct a "middle frequency", tho im not entirely sure here since its kinda hard to distingush from "real effects" and "auto-suggestion" (or how it may be called)

Mar 17, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #40 of 144
you guys should check out the catalog of the artist "technomind", i couldnt find him on youtube but he is definitely on qobuz and deezer
his binaural/monaural beats stuff works better than others (atleast for me), tho i should also say that the effects are stronger for me on speakers than headphones (this is somewhat generally the case and has probably to do with monaural vs binaural beats)

if someone is interested i can also suggest some other "songs"

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #41 of 144
Sub bass definitely creates a kinesthegic response in people (and animals). My dog hates it.
I noticed Top Gun Maverick won the Oscars for sound design. I have it on UHD. I was more impressed with its visuals/cinematography (using small digital cameras inside actual F-18 cockpits for actual practical cockpit photography and actors pulling full Gs). Wonder if folks are expecting more activity with sub bass subwoofer to feel a shake (be it block buster movies or certain music genres).

Mar 18, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #42 of 144
My dog's least favorite movie is Das Boot. As soon as they go down in the submarine, she hides under the couch until she can't take any more and runs to the other side of the house. The sub bass isn't even terribly loud or heavily felt, but it fills the room with a claustrophobic atmosphere.

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #43 of 144
My dog's least favorite movie is Das Boot. As soon as they go down in the submarine, she hides under the couch until she can't take any more and runs to the other side of the house. The sub bass isn't even terribly loud or heavily felt, but it fills the room with a claustrophobic atmosphere.
Oh man, the VFX are dated in that movie....but sound engineering still stays awesome! I have the full mini-series version. Such a great submarine/WWII movie. U-571 pales in comparison when it comes to movie, but it has a great depth charge scene (blares the subwoofer when you see the depth charge from the surface). Even though Master and Commander still hasn't made it to UHD/3D audio mix, matrix 3D still sounds great on an audio track that really was mixed well. You can tell the attention to detail when they went and recorded various period canons for the movie.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #44 of 144
Interesting discussion
Sort of, it depends exactly what line of discussion you’re talking about. Much of it is only interesting from the point of view of what nonsense people can make up.
is this the same line on reasoning like with infrasound effects?
What infrasound effects? As a general rule there is little infrasound in music recordings, in fact there’s generally little useful content lower than an octave above infrasound because having or adding a lot of freq content lower than that is almost always counterproductive. If there’s significant very low/infrasonic content for some reason, it will commonly be filtered/reduced during mixing or mastering. There are exceptions though. In film sound there’s often significant content below 20Hz but that’s typically unintentional, just a by product. Films are mixed according to the sound systems in cinemas and human perception, so as a general rule, there’s nothing intentional below around 30Hz.

G

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #45 of 144
What infrasound effects? As a general rule there is little infrasound in music recordings, in fact there’s generally little useful content lower an octave above infrasound because having or adding a lot of freq content lower than that is almost always counterproductive. If there significant very low/infrasonic content for some reason, it will commonly be filtered/reduced during mixing or mastering. There are exceptions though. In film sound there’s often significant content below 20Hz but that’s typically unintentional, just a by product. Films are mixed according to the sound systems in cinemas and human perception, so as a general rule, there’s nothing intentional below around 30Hz.

G
I guess we can find exceptions. Like aren't there certain recordings with organs going towards fundamental 20Hz (beyond as you say film applications)? We recently had an exchange about how cinemas are now having some uncontrolled loudness wars....I wonder if that might also extend into subwoofer levels? Some of the earliest sub-bass craze for cinema was in the 70s like Sensurround that claimed audio to 17Hz (which is still limited to audio system). These days, it seems like it's easier to intend sub-bass (given more folks wanting larger subwoofers and more than one in their surround system). So with general music, I can see why there's no reason to account for below 30Hz....but given some recent movie mixes, I'm wondering if that's still a standard. Like I'm really dumbfounded that Maverick won the sound design award with the Oscars. The audio seemed the same for a blockbuster film: IE huge reliance of subwoofer. For me, the main award it should have had is cinematography (spending so much money to have actors in an actual F-18 and small cameras capturing the cockpit and feeling Gs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back