Frequencys/Songs with "effect" on the human body
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

Ghoostknight

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

i know this post will get me in trouble... but i wanna try anyway, maybe im not the only one who noticed this

well since some time i noticed in songs rather strange "effects" (tho i just noticed this heavly on my studio monitors, not with headphones) and in very commercial songs as well, no "niche" stuff,
so something must be going on that is somewhat general knowledge under musicians which is rarely/never spoken off (i guess one reason is that if you tell people this without them having expierenced this is that they think you go crazy...)

and i tried to research a little the last few days, of course you just find stuff like binaural beats and solfeggio frequencys

one thing i noticed myself is "monaural beats" are waaaay more effective (there are also studys that support this) than the common "binaural beats" everyone thinks about
correct me if im wrong, but binaural beats played on loudspeakers automaticly become "monaural" beats, since you hear both tones on both ears, which would kinda explain why the effects seem so dramatic on speakers for me compared to headphones

and i should also say that for me they work either as monaural beat OR as single frequency, so for example 16hz will give you a somewhat scary feeling, this works as single 16hz frequency OR as monaural beat with for example 40hz and 56hz

Easy Website to try stuff onlinetonegenerator.com (just open two tabs for monaural/binaural beats)

Bass:
7.83hz - will leave you feel very normal, maybe "more normal" than usual
16hz - scary, uncomfortable feeling
18.98hz - also a somewhat scary feeling , but it feels, funny said, like there is a "higher presence" aka ghost in the room

Solfeggio Freqencys:
639hz - you get a somewhat "warm" feeling, like there is a low power infrared heater nearby (i think its used in Christina Aguilera - Dirrty , where she funny enough sings about "heaters" lol)

Songs:
i should also notice here, most effects are kinda consistent with lyrics

Nick Cave - O Children
sometimes you get a "numb/sleepy" feeling, and there is around the end a huge effect i never expierenced in any other song like this, atleast not in this strength, you get tingles all over your body (and i litereally mean all over your body, legs, back, head) and its consistent for me every time i listen to this song, tho i noticed this effect dissappears if you listen to the song twice, not sure why
if you look at youtube, everyone says how sad this song is and that its all about holocaust, but with the effects and played on good speakers i cant really agree, its more of a story

Nonpoint - Paralyzed
like the title suggest, tho for me the effects are "minor" compared to other songs

Disturbed - Open Your Eyes
well guess, you are kinda forced (not really "forced" but if you are relaxed it will work without being painfully loud or something like this) to blink, tho im not sure how they do this, maybe dynamic?

---

since i upgraded my setup some while ago these effects are kinda far from "subtil" for me

should i expand this list? and how you guys feel about this?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 144
While subsonic music frequencies can and do have vicarial effects I very much doubt that is the case with ultrasonic frequencies. I recently had an all body ultrasound and the only effect I could feel was the coldness of the gel applied between my body and the sensor. Thinks of all those trimester babies that are routinely checked through ultrasound devices without any effect apart from a picture of the foetus.

You have a great imagination when listening to your stereo, perhaps mixed up a bit with cognitive dissonance to justify the upgrade.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 144
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Is this some sort of beat poetry?

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 144
While subsonic music frequencies can and do have vicarial effects I very much doubt that is the case with ultrasonic frequencies. I recently had an all body ultrasound and the only effect I could feel was the coldness of the gel applied between my body and the sensor. Thinks of all those trimester babies that are routinely checked through ultrasound devices without any effect apart from a picture of the foetus.
this is what i kinda dont get over, how can "specific" fequencys have an effect while others dont? in the case of 639hz i tried to vary the frequence and it seemed like the "effect" goes from around 630hz to around 650hz, which still seems "very specific"

You have a great imagination when listening to your stereo, perhaps mixed up a bit with cognitive dissonance to justify the upgrade.
well i honestly dont know, it could be imagination, specially because the lyrics most of the time line up with the effects which kinda reminds you
tho, what i know is that most of the "effects" i hear i just feel on my speaker setup (room treated and room corrected) and just if i listen to a somewhat loud volume, most of the time its 65-80db

tho everyone should i agree that music can give you some "feeling" but its really subconcious, i think the effects become stronger as we go to a more "perfect setup", in the case of monaural beats i think its very important that the two tones end up at around the same volume at your head, and with most setups having problems with room modes its no wonder that this is not the case most of the time

it could be placebo/imagination and i guess objectivists are the first that say this
it could be your setup.... speaker vs headphones.... good speakers... flat frequency response... reverb that makes frequencys "useless" etc
it could be that some people are(or become) more prone for it

i honestly dont know, but as i improved my system the last 1-3 years the effects got stronger, tho i guess all 3 reasons could be "the reason" in the end
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Is this some sort of beat poetry?
what you mean? binaural beats are very "common knowledge", also you can easly read about solfeggio frequencys, tho this doesnt work for everyone for some reason

---

funny enough till recently i thought solfeggio frequencys dont work, but i restested them with this video and surprisingly enough i could feel some effects now for whatever reason :

thats also why i know 639hz is probably used in "diirty", the youtube video reminded me of how i felt while listening to diirty (i dont listen regular to this kind of music, but its rather music i listen to just for the sake of knowing how it sounds a good setup btw :D )

also other solfeggio frequencys reminded me of some music i heared before,
what i think would be really interesting is to actually check some of the music if really specific frequencys are included, can someone tell me the easiest way of checking ?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 144
Sound is vibrations. Some vibrations cause earthquakes. Others make the sound of a baby’s cry. If you’ve ever heard a good subwoofer that puts out 12 Hz at a decent volume, you know which one is closer to the earthquake. Objects, buildings and rooms have resonant frequencies that they’re most sensitive to.

Chris Chan used binaural beats to change himself from a man to a woman.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 144
Sound is vibrations. Some vibrations cause earthquakes. Others make the sound of a baby’s cry. If you’ve ever heard a good subwoofer that puts out 12 Hz at a decent volume, you know which one is closer to the earthquake. Objects, buildings and rooms have resonant frequencies that they’re most sensitive to.

Chris Chan used binaural beats to change himself from a man to a woman.

https://sonichu.com/cwcki/Subliminal_Frequency_Hypnosis this story kinda sounds like someone had a psychosis to be honest and i guess psychosis could be the reason why some people are claiming stuff but hmm i dont think those "effects" can alter drastic things, its more about your mood or how you subconciouss feel (like a baby start crying) tho maybe some people also expierence more conciously how they subconcious feel

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 144
Wow man. Deep.

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 144
i tried to research a little the last few days, of course you just find stuff like binaural beats and solfeggio frequencys
I think I see a pattern here. To you, research appears to mean any audiophile marketing and/or YouTube vids. For the rest of us, “research” means (or at least implies) researching the most reliable sources, not the absolute least reliable! So a good start would be the online encyclopaedias, eg. Solfeggio frequencies - RationalWiki
7.83hz - will leave you feel very normal, maybe "more normal" than usual
16hz - scary, uncomfortable feeling
18.98hz - also a somewhat scary feeling
Hang on, you stated you’re using studio monitors, there are no studio monitors that reproduce 18.98Hz, let alone 7.83Hz. Most nearfield monitors start rolling-off around 50Hz or so.
tho everyone should i agree that music can give you some "feeling" but its really subconcious
If it were subconscious then how would you know it’s giving you some “feeling”, doesn’t the fact you know you’re feeling something indicate that it isn’t subconscious? Certainly it’s been known for many centuries that certain harmonic structures (chords and chord progressions) elicit certain moods/feelings, although the reliable evidence suggests this is a learned response rather than an innate one.
i think the effects become stronger as we go to a more "perfect setup"
So why did anyone ever buy music recordings and systems 100+ years ago, when even the best systems were crap quality compared to cheap systems today and if the music recordings therefore did not elicit feelings?
funny enough till recently i thought solfeggio frequencys dont work, but i restested them with this video and surprisingly enough i could feel some effects now for whatever reason :
When you come up with a verifiable reason other than just your imagination, placebo effect or some other bias, then there’s the option for a meaningful discussion. Otherwise, there isn’t, it’s just your personal imagination!

G

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 144
I remember reading about some effects in relation to the rhythm/beat of music/sound. Can't remember the details though as it was more than a couple of years ago.
There is one detail I distinctly remember though which is the song "Someone like you" by Adele having a rhythm that supposedly correlated to a calming effect.

I don't remember reading anything about pitch, but if there is a study to reference I would take a look.

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 144
Hang on, you stated you’re using studio monitors, there are no studio monitors that reproduce 18.98Hz, let alone 7.83Hz. Most nearfield monitors start rolling-off around 50Hz or so.
sure they do, but not with full volume, measurement shows 55db at 15hz where flat was around 80db, -3db around 36hz, was able to feel it barely
i think frequencys under the -3db point also play a big role on how a speaker sounds

I think I see a pattern here. To you, research appears to mean any audiophile marketing and/or YouTube vids. For the rest of us, “research” means (or at least implies) researching the most reliable sources, not the absolute least reliable! So a good start would be the online encyclopaedias, eg. Solfeggio frequencies - RationalWiki
research for me means doing actual research and not relying on one source that thinks to know it all

When you come up with a verifiable reason other than just your imagination, placebo effect or some other bias, then there’s the option for a meaningful discussion. Otherwise, there isn’t, it’s just your personal imagination!
maybe, atleast you are free to believe that :)

I remember reading about some effects in relation to the rhythm/beat of music/sound. Can't remember the details though as it was more than a couple of years ago.
There is one detail I distinctly remember though which is the song "Someone like you" by Adele having a rhythm that supposedly correlated to a calming effect.

I don't remember reading anything about pitch, but if there is a study to reference I would take a look.
yes i agree, rythm/melody also plays a big role how we feel with a certain song

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 144
I know about the 'brown note'. But Mythbusters said it was a bust while South Park and the French comedy "Fatal" showed it's real, so I don't know what to think:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Personally when it comes to bowel movements, coffee does a lot more than a frequency.

Otherwise there is LRAD, the stuff police can use on friendly neighbors. I think some models exist that are just a tone near 2 or 3kHz(where we're most sensitive), but the effect is fully explained by how loud it is(above 120dB at close distances) the signal and frequency are just a matter of how much definitive damage they wish to do to the ears of people.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 144
sure they do, but not with full volume, measurement shows 55db at 15hz where flat was around 80db
What studio monitors output 55dB at 15Hz? Some subs maybe but what studio monitors?
research for me means doing actual research and not relying on one source that thinks to know it all …
You seem to have missed the point, audiophile marketing and YouTube vids are not “actual research”, unless you’re actually researching BS of course. And, no one has stated reliance on only one source, just that encyclopaedias are generally reliable and are typically a “good starting point”, unlike audiophile marketing and millions of YouTube vids!
maybe, atleast you are free to believe that
What do you mean “maybe”, don’t you know what subforum this is, or the basic tenets of science?

It’s just another stream of nonsense:
“Most logical thing” = Least logical thing. “Actual research” = Only looking at BS. So that’s pretty much the opposite of science, and, science requires skepticism, it’s not optional! Just accepting nonsense claims without verifiable, reliable and repeatable evidence is the exact opposite of science and we even teach that to school children.

G

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 144
What studio monitors output 55dB at 15Hz? Some subs maybe but what studio monitors?
apparently mine as the umik-1 suggests, i closed the bassreflex port and compensated via DSP, maybe it makes more sense now
i mainly did this since closed sounds in the upper low driver registers better, tho having more extension is a nice side effect imo

You seem to have missed the point, audiophile marketing and YouTube vids are not “actual research”, unless you’re actually researching BS of course. And, no one has stated reliance on only one source, just that encyclopaedias are generally reliable and are typically a “good starting point”, unlike audiophile marketing and millions of YouTube vids!
a "good starting point" is being unbiased imo

--
maybe i indeed choose the wrong subforum, tho for me this should be a scientific topic since there are also studys backing things up, atleast on the binaural/monaural beat front
tho i have no intention of backing my expierences up
i would also suggest seeing it more on the subjective side of things since you cant even test stuff on a blind test since you could guess quite easly the frequency played, tho not so easy with monaural/binaural beats which may be a reason why there are "meaningfull" studys already

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 144
I know about the 'brown note'. But Mythbusters said it was a bust while South Park and the French comedy "Fatal" showed it's real, so I don't know what to think:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Personally when it comes to bowel movements, coffee does a lot more than a frequency.
i dont believe that there is a brown note like you mean lol would be funny tho
but what i noticed is, "heavy bass consume" kinda helps get things going... it also seems as i have to pee more often, tho it could be imagination but i noticed this more than once but i guess this is sort of side effect than "specific frequencys" having a effect

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 144
i dont believe that there is a brown note like you mean lol would be funny tho
but what i noticed is, "heavy bass consume" kinda helps get things going... it also seems as i have to pee more often, tho it could be imagination but i noticed this more than once but i guess this is sort of side effect than "specific frequencys" having a effect

I run multiple highly capable subwoofers and have never once felt that they impacted bodily functions. This topic has come up in the past so a group of us setup an informal experiment to see if we noticed any actual impact to our digestive systems.

We identified three things:
  • There didn't seem to be any additional bathroom urges
  • Listening to bass test tones down to 15db at up to 120db isn't fun. While it didn't create any bathroom extravaganza, we were all exhausted after a couple hours of bass beyond what anyone is likely to experience in music/movie playback
  • Keep fingers away from the cone of a sub with an XMAX of 4" and 2500 watts RMS. Someone (not me) found that out the hard way.
Almost definitely placebo though clearly, no hard conclusion can be drawn from this limited exercise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back