Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #11,716 of 12,086
Interesting. I have not tried that cable but if it indeed has the correctly molded ends that match the shape of the stock cable, this is a pretty good deal. I ended up using a Sennheiser Hd650 cable because of the ridiculous prices that the Fostex cables fetched. It works but it looks a little janky.

I went for it, will let you know how it is. One left in stock right now.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #11,717 of 12,086
I've looking through the thread to see if anyone has the measurements for the different EMU cups. I have a pair of mahogany TH-X00 and was wondering if the emu ebony cups would essential turn it into the ebony version of the TH-X00. Also, does anyone have any suggestion to bring the mids up? I'm hoping to find a mod that will bring guitars and vocal a bit more forward.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #11,718 of 12,086
I don't know about the cups but I also have the mahoganies and I found the TR-X00s basically unlistenable without EQ. If you can try it, play around with EQ a little and you may be able to avoid modding the headphones.

OTOH I let my girlfriend try a few headphones and she liked the TR-X00s (with EQ although she wasn't aware of it) better than anything else she tried.

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #11,719 of 12,086
I just got my second pair of Mahognies (new from a flea market in SF delivered to my doorstep for <$245 OTD). Thought I'd upgrade the pads to Deknonis since the one on my work set are nice.

I bought these... then noticed they are shaped differently than the ones on my used pair -- because the ones I just bought are made for the TH900 but FIT the X00s... whereas the pair that came with my used cans were MADE for the X00s. They fit fine, but the ear holes are different. Bad move sonically? Am I nitpicking? I don't think the true X00 versions are available anymore (sold out on Drop).

Thoughts?

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #11,720 of 12,086
If they sound ok and fit the headphones it's up to you. I think I read the TH900 pads should all fit the TRs.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #11,721 of 12,086
If they sound ok and fit the headphones it's up to you. I think I read the TH900 pads should all fit the TRs.

Yeah, they fit just fine, just didn't know if they altered the sound signature. I'm not great at A/B testing, but to be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference in my limited testing.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #11,722 of 12,086
I recently tried the Denon D9200 and I like the pads much better. It's similar size pads, but better fit. I always found the stock Th-X00 pads a bit awkward fit. I need to check if they fit my Ebony.

The problem is, I can't find them sold separately.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #11,724 of 12,086
I don't know about the cups but I also have the mahoganies and I found the TR-X00s basically unlistenable without EQ. If you can try it, play around with EQ a little and you may be able to avoid modding the headphones.

OTOH I let my girlfriend try a few headphones and she liked the TR-X00s (with EQ although she wasn't aware of it) better than anything else she tried.

I dunno. EQ can bring the reticent mids forward, but it can't help the grainy treble, poor imaging, and under damped bass.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #11,725 of 12,086
I dunno. EQ can bring the reticent mids forward, but it can't help the grainy treble, poor imaging, and under damped bass.

Yeah but you know, EQ can make those things audible :D

In all seriousness for the price I'm satisfied and I think they're a nice pair of headphones. They are not a daily driver for me but for Latin music or any kind of percussion they're pretty enjoyable.

Feb 27, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #11,726 of 12,086
Yeah but you know, EQ can make those things audible :D

In all seriousness for the price I'm satisfied and I think they're a nice pair of headphones. They are not a daily driver for me but for Latin music or any kind of percussion they're pretty enjoyable.

OK. This sort of communication is fine, I have an opinion and you do too. Sadly more common is the circling the wagons, and defending product xyz as if its a religious thing. Thanks for being a good guy. I'm just an old curmudgeon named Mikey, and I don't like almost anything!

Like: LCD-4, HEKse, Voce, 007, E2, Arya, HE-6, HE-500, HD-600

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #11,727 of 12,086
OK. This sort of communication is fine, I have an opinion and you do too. Sadly more common is the circling the wagons, and defending product xyz as if its a religious thing. Thanks for being a good guy. I'm just an old curmudgeon named Mikey, and I don't like almost anything!

Like: LCD-4, HEKse, Voce, 007, E2, Arya, HE-6, HE-500, HD-600

Maybe us old guys understand each other :wink: Also a grey-hair myself.

Mar 24, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #11,728 of 12,086
20200324_134739.jpg

My cable of the X00 PH's (non removeable cable) is twisting on the right side cup. It has slowly progressed to this over the last 3 years. Why is it doing this? It has gotten so bad that it is starting to tear due to all the twisting. I keep them on a headphone stand and I am quite sure I treat the cable gently.

Mar 24, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #11,729 of 12,086
20200324_134739.jpg
My cable of the X00 PH's (non removeable cable) is twisting on the right side cup. It has slowly progressed to this over the last 3 years. Why is it doing this? It has gotten so bad that it is starting to tear due to all the twisting. I keep them on a headphone stand and I am quite sure I treat the cable gently.
You can loop the end plug through the upper split of the Y....similar happened to me before....I think it is the same...your TRS or balanced end has passed through the upper part of the cable at various times and its causing a tangle at one side...you have to un-do the tangle....should work if that is understandable...(!)?

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #11,730 of 12,086
You can loop the end plug through the upper split of the Y....similar happened to me before....I think it is the same...your TRS or balanced end has passed through the upper part of the cable at various times and its causing a tangle at one side...you have to un-do the tangle....should work if that is understandable...(!)?
This worked thank you !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back