Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #11,656 of 12,086
Modding HD6xx series to closed-back may fit the bill... my closed-back modded HD58X (Headphile zebrawood cups and Yaxi HD650 Alcantara pads) that can compete with my modded Purplehearts for low end insanity but are dark, smooth, and easy listening like the Porta Pros with Yaxi pads...some EQ required though to get the near Purpleheart subbass levels...

i-d2bTqsS.jpg

yeah im most likely getting the yaxi pads for the hd58x. thanks for that advice. did you put L+R foam under the grille instead of the pads? I mean to say if you didn't have the zebra cups would you do that? I would get the zebra cups but their cost is basically the same as getting nighthawks (~$200).

Wired Senheiser Momentum (M2) and NAD VISO HP50 has forward bass, neutral mids and rolled off treble (HP50 less rolled off treble).

I was looking at the visos but they seem to have a irritating angle with the headband and earpads which requires using a dremel and literally breaking a component to increase the angle of rotation of the pads/headbands.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #11,657 of 12,086
yeah im most likely getting the yaxi pads for the hd58x. thanks for that advice. did you put L+R foam under the grille instead of the pads? I mean to say if you didn't have the zebra cups would you do that? I would get the zebra cups but their cost is basically the same as getting nighthawks (~$200).

Yes, that's how I had them before wanted to try the closed-back wood cups. Foam is thicker & denser than stock foam, didn't like it under the earpads - definitely keep stock foam under the earpads. The Yaxi Alcantara pads with Yaxi foam in the grilles will make sound darker, fuller, and a little more expansive. Needs some EQ, but really liked them EQd with the Yaxi pads & foam. Also looks cool...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Znv3dVH/0/60a16389/O/i-Znv3dVH.jpg

And size comparison of opening between stock and Yaxi pads...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7gJRdfD/0/11789102/O/i-7gJRdfD.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #11,658 of 12,086
Yes, that's how I had them before wanted to try the closed-back wood cups. Foam is thicker & denser than stock foam, didn't like it under the earpads - definitely keep stock foam under the earpads. The Yaxi Alcantara pads with Yaxi foam in the grilles will make sound darker, fuller, and a little more expansive. Needs some EQ, but really liked them EQd with the Yaxi pads & foam. Also looks cool...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Znv3dVH/0/60a16389/O/i-Znv3dVH.jpg

And size comparison of opening between stock and Yaxi pads...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7gJRdfD/0/11789102/O/i-7gJRdfD.jpg
did you keep the stock foam under the grilles and layer the yaxi foam or remove the under grille foam and replace it with yaxi?

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #11,660 of 12,086
Currently I own a Mrspeaker Mad Dog headphone which I normally used for EDM music and I need advice on whether should I get a Massdrop TRX00? The Mad Dog is a very good headphone too so not too sure whether they would be offering similar style. Thank you in advance.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #11,662 of 12,086
Mahogany at $320 from Drop. Is this a good deal?

I bought it and sold it. Depends what u want. That's a good deal if u like them.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #11,664 of 12,086
Guys what's the difference between the TH-X00 and the TR-X00?

I bought the TR Mahogonys on Friday and they were supposed to ship yesterday but nothing happened. No update today either. First buy from (Mass)Drop so I have no idea if this is normal.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #11,665 of 12,086
Guys what's the difference between the TH-X00 and the TR-X00?

I bought the TR Mahogonys on Friday and they were supposed to ship yesterday but nothing happened. No update today either. First buy from (Mass)Drop so I have no idea if this is normal.

The only difference between the TH and TR is that the TR has a removable cable and the TH does not.

If you don't get a shipping notification (be sure to check your order page on Drop.com since emails might be delayed/lost) by the end of today I would contact support and see what's up. In stock items should ship next business day but they might have been a little backed up from their Black Friday orders.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #11,666 of 12,086
The only difference between the TH and TR is that the TR has a removable cable and the TH does not.

If you don't get a shipping notification (be sure to check your order page on Drop.com since emails might be delayed/lost) by the end of today I would contact support and see what's up. In stock items should ship next business day but they might have been a little backed up from their Black Friday orders.

Thanks a lot. As expected, within 20 minutes of emailing support they realized they didn't bother to update me :D Shipping advice got sent today, shipper does not report receiving it yet. I hope I get them in time for the weekend!

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #11,667 of 12,086
Currently I own a Mrspeaker Mad Dog headphone which I normally used for EDM music and I need advice on whether should I get a Massdrop TRX00? The Mad Dog is a very good headphone too so not too sure whether they would be offering similar style. Thank you in advance.

I heard several vers of Mad Dog at a meet, and liked them all. Just never could find the charm in the Mahogany. Did you decide?

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #11,668 of 12,086
I heard several vers of Mad Dog at a meet, and liked them all. Just never could find the charm in the Mahogany. Did you decide?

The mad dog is a good headphone considering the price and it comes with the alpha pad and xlr cable, but in the end i bought the Sony mdr z1r instead. I did also consider the th900 but the treble is too much for me to bear. So now i have to sell the mad dog to clear some space for the z1r.

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #11,669 of 12,086
The mad dog is a good headphone considering the price and it comes with the alpha pad and xlr cable, but in the end i bought the Sony mdr z1r instead. I did also consider the th900 but the treble is too much for me to bear. So now i have to sell the mad dog to clear some space for the z1r.

Haven't heard the Sony, they have a great reputation. Enjoy!

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #11,670 of 12,086
I have the X00 PH (got them during their first drop) and just recently bought the HD6XX this Black Friday. I am a bigger fan of the X00, though I do like the HD6XX in certain areas--both of them are great cans for sure--but, I find myself looking for something better.

For those that currently own the X00, especially if you also have the 6XX, which other headphones of yours do you feel are superior and why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back