Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 9, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #11,671 of 12,086
Fostex TH900 MK2 and Denon D7200 were my upgrades from the Purpleheart. As they just improve the sound I like

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #11,672 of 12,086
Mahogany at $320 from Drop. Is this a good deal?

Well yeah since I had to pay $510 for the same pair...

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #11,673 of 12,086
I have the X00 PH (got them during their first drop) and just recently bought the HD6XX this Black Friday. I am a bigger fan of the X00, though I do like the HD6XX in certain areas--both of them are great cans for sure--but, I find myself looking for something better.

For those that currently own the X00, especially if you also have the 6XX, which other headphones of yours do you feel are superior and why?

The easiest (and cheapest) "upgrade" I can think of is the Lawton Driver mod on your X00. That cleans everything up and improves separation quite a bit. Before I did the driver mod on my PH I felt it wasn't worth the price but after the mod I think it's much more deserving of its place in the price bracket. I have yet to find a headphone that can bass slam like the X00 PH so if you are looking for that same kind of bass you will have to seek out another biocellulose driver headphone and I don't have many of those models, (just the PH and the CAL!) so I can't say for sure which ones would be "upgrades" although it would make sense for the TH-900 to be an upgrade to an X00 but I haven't heard one, so I can't really recommend it.

I also own the 6XX and don't care for it much. The lack a bass extension annoys me so they only get head time with a very select set of my music. But I have several cans that I reach for when looking for a mid-centric sound over the 6XX, like my HE-400 with lambskin Ori pads (or, believe it or not, an AKG 240S). The HE-400 have plenty of bass slam and extension with a rich midrange and detailed but not harsh treble. Very enjoyable to listen to even though I know they are technically inferior to several of my other headphones. But they don't make the HE-400 anymore (and trust me, they 400S, 400i, or 4XX are not the same and don't respond the same way to the Ori pads).

After my HE-400s, my other cans that get a lot of head time are the Takstar HF 580 with Sendy Aiva pads, HIFIMAN Edition XX, Elear with Elex pads, and Beyer Amiron Homes. I would say all of these are more balanced, well-rounded, options compared to either the 6XX or the PH since both are kind of one-trick ponies, one with the vocals and the other with bass respectively.

So I guess it depends what you are looking for when you say you want something "better." Any specifics on what and how you would like it be better would help with recommendations.

If you want a more direct, head-to-head comparison against the 6XX or PH with any of the headphones I own (list is in my signature), just let me know.

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #11,674 of 12,086
Fostex TH900 MK2 and Denon D7200 were my upgrades from the Purpleheart. As they just improve the sound I like

Those are two I've been thinking about, but I'm not sure if I'd like them enough to justify the price. I'm sure that after a few hundred dollars, the value curve goes down probably exponentially. I think I'd be okay with spending as much as $800 on another pair, but they'd have to be significantly better than the X00s. How would you compare the D7200 to the TH900?

The easiest (and cheapest) "upgrade" I can think of is the Lawton Driver mod on your X00. That cleans everything up and improves separation quite a bit. Before I did the driver mod on my PH I felt it wasn't worth the price but after the mod I think it's much more deserving of its place in the price bracket. I have yet to find a headphone that can bass slam like the X00 PH so if you are looking for that same kind of bass you will have to seek out another biocellulose driver headphone and I don't have many of those models, (just the PH and the CAL!) so I can't say for sure which ones would be "upgrades" although it would make sense for the TH-900 to be an upgrade to an X00 but I haven't heard one, so I can't really recommend it.

I also own the 6XX and don't care for it much. The lack a bass extension annoys me so they only get head time with a very select set of my music. But I have several cans that I reach for when looking for a mid-centric sound over the 6XX, like my HE-400 with lambskin Ori pads (or, believe it or not, an AKG 240S). The HE-400 have plenty of bass slam and extension with a rich midrange and detailed but not harsh treble. Very enjoyable to listen to even though I know they are technically inferior to several of my other headphones. But they don't make the HE-400 anymore (and trust me, they 400S, 400i, or 4XX are not the same and don't respond the same way to the Ori pads).

After my HE-400s, my other cans that get a lot of head time are the Takstar HF 580 with Sendy Aiva pads, HIFIMAN Edition XX, Elear with Elex pads, and Beyer Amiron Homes. I would say all of these are more balanced, well-rounded, options compared to either the 6XX or the PH since both are kind of one-trick ponies, one with the vocals and the other with bass respectively.

So I guess it depends what you are looking for when you say you want something "better." Any specifics on what and how you would like it be better would help with recommendations.

If you want a more direct, head-to-head comparison against the 6XX or PH with any of the headphones I own (list is in my signature), just let me know.

Thanks for sharing that. How much did the Lawton mod end up costing you? I think there are a couple "stages" to it? I was considering doing it, but I'd also want to do the removable cable mod. At that point, I'd probably be spending as much on mods as on the headphones themselves.

How would you rate the CAL vs. the X00s?

Hmm, sad to hear that some of the desirable qualities of the HE-400 aren't quite found in the other "sister" models. I was considering those cans for a bit, before deciding on the HD 6XX. I picked the HD 6XX because I wanted something to contrast the X00s a bit. Given that it's an open-ended, slightly warm headphone, I was expecting a lot better imaging and separation, somewhat respectable bass, and a wider soundstage. But, I wound up disappointed in practically all areas. The bass is almost respectable with Velour pads, but you lose the detail.

Now, to better define what I mean by wanting something "better", basically I am probably looking for something like the TH900 meets HD800. This probably does not exist, in which case I'd have to compromise.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #11,675 of 12,086
Those are two I've been thinking about, but I'm not sure if I'd like them enough to justify the price. I'm sure that after a few hundred dollars, the value curve goes down probably exponentially. I think I'd be okay with spending as much as $800 on another pair, but they'd have to be significantly better than the X00s. How would you compare the D7200 to the TH900?

Thanks for sharing that. How much did the Lawton mod end up costing you? I think there are a couple "stages" to it? I was considering doing it, but I'd also want to do the removable cable mod. At that point, I'd probably be spending as much on mods as on the headphones themselves.

How would you rate the CAL vs. the X00s?

Hmm, sad to hear that some of the desirable qualities of the HE-400 aren't quite found in the other "sister" models. I was considering those cans for a bit, before deciding on the HD 6XX. I picked the HD 6XX because I wanted something to contrast the X00s a bit. Given that it's an open-ended, slightly warm headphone, I was expecting a lot better imaging and separation, somewhat respectable bass, and a wider soundstage. But, I wound up disappointed in practically all areas. The bass is almost respectable with Velour pads, but you lose the detail.

Now, to better define what I mean by wanting something "better", basically I am probably looking for something like the TH900 meets HD800. This probably does not exist, in which case I'd have to compromise.

Yeah definitely diminishing returns as you go up the price bracket and it's definitely not a 1:1 performance to price ratio. I'm sure a $5,000 Abyss or $3,500 Meze Empyrean sound great but I highly doubt they sound literally 10x better than cans in the $350-$500 range.

Anyway, I ordered the driver-only part of the DIY tune up kit and it only cost me $33.50 instead of the usual $45. I think that's very reasonable considering the benefits to the sound and the unique nature of the damping material used. Definitely not quite like any material that I have ever come across in my years of modding. It was also stupid easy to install.

Also, don't get me wrong the HE4XX is a very capable headphone and represents a great value at only $130 on sale right now. If both the HE-400 and HE4XX were bone stock I would probably pick the 4XX, it's just the Ori pads with the HE-400 is a pretty magical combo. And also consider that I paid something like $350 for my HE-400 back in the day and that was the cheapest, large diaphragm planar on the market at the time. Times have changed.

As for the CAL! compared to the X00, you can definitely tell the driver has similar DNA. It has that smooth, effortless bass response that the X00 has but less extended and less quantity overall. The CAL! is more laid back in the highs compared to the X00 with mids that are alright for v-shaped cans. It's definitely not going to be your vocal performance go-to can but neither is the X00. I was able to pick up my CAL! on eBay "open box" for the stupid low price of $35. However, if you are considering getting a CAL! for fun I would probably buying the SE version (it has a metallic flake paint job on the cups instead of the gloss black and chrome) since according to what I've read it's basically better in every way compared to base model. If they fit your ears they are a fun can to play with and can give you some of that X00 bass on the go.

I haven't heard the TH900 or the HD800 so I don't have the perfect solution to your problem and I don't think any of the cans that I own or have heard fit that profile perfectly, especially not for under $800. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are looking for detailed with wide soundstange and killer bass? I have some ideas that don't check all of those boxes but they might be close.

But if you want tight bass and fantastic imaging, a DT1990 might be your cup of tea. They aren't basshead cans but you bump up the bass a little with EQ or tone control and they take it like a champ. Also, the amount of detail they put out is crazy but the trade off is that they don't have super wide soundstage. You could also go with the Amiron Home if you want a little bigger soundstage and more bass at the expense of some of that in-your-face detail. There is also the 1770 and 177X GO, but I haven't heard either of those so I can't speak accurately to how they sound, but knowing the Beyerdynamic Tesla drivers it shouldn't sound too far off either of the others that I described.

The only other cans that might have that detail you are after would be the Elex/Elear but the Elex probably don't have the kick to the bass you are probably looking for. The stock Elear, on the other hand, has amazing bass, the best I have ever heard from an open can, but the rest of the frequency is an absolute mess.

The HIFIMAN Edition XX might have the soundstage you are looking for but they don't have that great of separation in the mids and the highs are probably too laid back for your taste if you are even considering getting a TH900.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post. Let me know you want clarification on anything I droned on about. Lol. :o2smile:

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #11,676 of 12,086
Kennerton magni might work also. It made me return my d7200. Very dynamic the main reason it plats Birger mord like speakers to me. If you want it soft and polite not be to engaged you may preferr the d7200

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #11,677 of 12,086
But if you want tight bass and fantastic imaging, a DT1990 might be your cup of tea. They aren't basshead cans but you bump up the bass a little with EQ or tone control and they take it like a champ. Also, the amount of detail they put out is crazy but the trade off is that they don't have super wide soundstage. You could also go with the Amiron Home if you want a little bigger soundstage and more bass at the expense of some of that in-your-face detail. There is also the 1770 and 177X GO, but I haven't heard either of those so I can't speak accurately to how they sound, but knowing the Beyerdynamic Tesla drivers it shouldn't sound too far off either of the others that I described.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post. Let me know you want clarification on anything I droned on about. Lol. :o2smile:

Are the DT1990s too bright? I have been considering getting a pair because everybody says they're very analytical. But some people seem to feel the treble is too hot and lately treble seems to be bothering me.

Rambling?! Not at all, that's what the forum should be all about. Thanks for your helpful comments!

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #11,678 of 12,086
Are the DT1990s too bright? I have been considering getting a pair because everybody says they're very analytical. But some people seem to feel the treble is too hot and lately treble seems to be bothering me.

Rambling?! Not at all, that's what the forum should be all about. Thanks for your helpful comments!

Do the DT 1990s have lots of treble? Yes. Are they overly bright? Not necessarily. They were designed first and foremost as a studio headphone for revealing flaws and hearing all of the details of the mix and making sure it's correct. So, very much for critical listening and they excel at that. So if audio mix needs to be de-essed, it will be painfully obvious with this headphone since no flaws are hidden. Basically, if you have a well-recorded, well-mixed, and well-mastered song, they are a joy to listen to and not overly hot in the treble, otherwise, it will probably be too much. For instance, these are probably my favorite headphones for good jazz recordings.

In the end, it's going to what music you listen to and how treble sensitive you are. If you are, these probably shouldn't be your top choice. The Amiron Homes tone down this treble a wee bit but it's definitely not a warm headphone even with the added bass. With all of that being said, neither of the Beyers I mentioned are v-shaped (unlike the X00s or 990s of old) with the midrange giving a good showing. Because of this they might be a good fit if you listen at lower volumes and that might help keep the treble from getting overwhelming while still being able to hear the vocal mix.

If you have specific songs you would like me to listen to when I get home with 1990s, Amiron, or the X00 and listen for treble that's too hot, just let me know.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #11,679 of 12,086
I have the X00 PH (got them during their first drop) and just recently bought the HD6XX this Black Friday. I am a bigger fan of the X00, though I do like the HD6XX in certain areas--both of them are great cans for sure--but, I find myself looking for something better.
For those that currently own the X00, especially if you also have the 6XX, which other headphones of yours do you feel are superior and why?

I have the X00 (mahogany) and the HD600, and like them very much; the one that I often favor over them is my Focal Elear.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #11,680 of 12,086
@theangelboy thanks, another superb post full of helpful details! Yeah, although I am definitely a Sennheiser guy in that I like the house sound which is dark, I also enjoy analytical sound since jazz is my preferred music.

At this point the DT1990 is still on my list.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #11,682 of 12,086
Yeah definitely diminishing returns as you go up the price bracket and it's definitely not a 1:1 performance to price ratio. I'm sure a $5,000 Abyss or $3,500 Meze Empyrean sound great but I highly doubt they sound literally 10x better than cans in the $350-$500 range.

Anyway, I ordered the driver-only part of the DIY tune up kit and it only cost me $33.50 instead of the usual $45. I think that's very reasonable considering the benefits to the sound and the unique nature of the damping material used. Definitely not quite like any material that I have ever come across in my years of modding. It was also stupid easy to install.

Also, don't get me wrong the HE4XX is a very capable headphone and represents a great value at only $130 on sale right now. If both the HE-400 and HE4XX were bone stock I would probably pick the 4XX, it's just the Ori pads with the HE-400 is a pretty magical combo. And also consider that I paid something like $350 for my HE-400 back in the day and that was the cheapest, large diaphragm planar on the market at the time. Times have changed.

As for the CAL! compared to the X00, you can definitely tell the driver has similar DNA. It has that smooth, effortless bass response that the X00 has but less extended and less quantity overall. The CAL! is more laid back in the highs compared to the X00 with mids that are alright for v-shaped cans. It's definitely not going to be your vocal performance go-to can but neither is the X00. I was able to pick up my CAL! on eBay "open box" for the stupid low price of $35. However, if you are considering getting a CAL! for fun I would probably buying the SE version (it has a metallic flake paint job on the cups instead of the gloss black and chrome) since according to what I've read it's basically better in every way compared to base model. If they fit your ears they are a fun can to play with and can give you some of that X00 bass on the go.

I haven't heard the TH900 or the HD800 so I don't have the perfect solution to your problem and I don't think any of the cans that I own or have heard fit that profile perfectly, especially not for under $800. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are looking for detailed with wide soundstange and killer bass? I have some ideas that don't check all of those boxes but they might be close.

The only other cans that might have that detail you are after would be the Elex/Elear but the Elex probably don't have the kick to the bass you are probably looking for. The stock Elear, on the other hand, has amazing bass, the best I have ever heard from an open can, but the rest of the frequency is an absolute mess.

The HIFIMAN Edition XX might have the soundstage you are looking for but they don't have that great of separation in the mids and the highs are probably too laid back for your taste if you are even considering getting a TH900.

Oh wow, for $35 it makes no sense to not do the mod since it seems to offer a noticeable improvement.

Yeah, times definitely have changed. $350 down to low $100s for what is more or less the same headphone is crazy lol

If I can find some CAL! SEs for a low price like you did for your originals, then I'll probably get them.

>However, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are looking for detailed with wide soundstange and killer bass?

I think that practically sums it up, but I am not entirely sure if I'd consider the soundstage I want as "Wide"...honestly I think I just want an analytical reproduction, with sick bass.

I will look into the Beyerdynamic model's you mentioned. I fear that the Amiron Home may lack the detail I am looking for.

I was looking into the Focal Elex on Drop.com. They do look quite good, but I need to learn a bit more about them.

Thanks for the all the information you've shared so far! I will do some more research and try to report back this weekend.

Kennerton magni might work also. It made me return my d7200. Very dynamic the main reason it plats Birger mord like speakers to me. If you want it soft and polite not be to engaged you may preferr the d7200

Any chance you can compare the Kennerton Magni to X00s or some Senn's?

Do the DT 1990s have lots of treble? Yes. Are they overly bright? Not necessarily. They were designed first and foremost as a studio headphone for revealing flaws and hearing all of the details of the mix and making sure it's correct. So, very much for critical listening and they excel at that. So if audio mix needs to be de-essed, it will be painfully obvious with this headphone since no flaws are hidden. Basically, if you have a well-recorded, well-mixed, and well-mastered song, they are a joy to listen to and not overly hot in the treble, otherwise, it will probably be too much. For instance, these are probably my favorite headphones for good jazz recordings.

In the end, it's going to what music you listen to and how treble sensitive you are. If you are, these probably shouldn't be your top choice. The Amiron Homes tone down this treble a wee bit but it's definitely not a warm headphone even with the added bass. With all of that being said, neither of the Beyers I mentioned are v-shaped (unlike the X00s or 990s of old) with the midrange giving a good showing. Because of this they might be a good fit if you listen at lower volumes and that might help keep the treble from getting overwhelming while still being able to hear the vocal mix.

If you have specific songs you would like me to listen to when I get home with 1990s, Amiron, or the X00 and listen for treble that's too hot, just let me know.

Thanks for the further insight on the 1990s. Based on your description, they may be too hot for me. I do like treble, but treble isn't usually the star in the genres I listen to. I mainly listen to various types of r&b, some metal/rock, electronic, and acoustic.

I appreciate the offer to listen to some songs! I'll try to think of a few by this weekend.

I have the X00 (mahogany) and the HD600, and like them very much; the one that I often favor over them is my Focal Elear.

I hear the Elear's are way better than the HD600. How would you compare the X00 to the HD600?

The DT-177X GO are what I prefer over the TH-X00 when I want a cleaner, higher resolution sound that is still punchy and hits hard. The treble is smoother and more pleasant than the purplehearts as well.

What do the PHs do way better than the DT-177X GOs?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #11,683 of 12,086
Oh wow, for $35 it makes no sense to not do the mod since it seems to offer a noticeable improvement.

Yeah, times definitely have changed. $350 down to low $100s for what is more or less the same headphone is crazy lol

If I can find some CAL! SEs for a low price like you did for your originals, then I'll probably get them.

>However, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are looking for detailed with wide soundstange and killer bass?

I think that practically sums it up, but I am not entirely sure if I'd consider the soundstage I want as "Wide"...honestly I think I just want an analytical reproduction, with sick bass.

I will look into the Beyerdynamic model's you mentioned. I fear that the Amiron Home may lack the detail I am looking for.

I was looking into the Focal Elex on Drop.com. They do look quite good, but I need to learn a bit more about them.

Thanks for the all the information you've shared so far! I will do some more research and try to report back this weekend.

Any chance you can compare the Kennerton Magni to X00s or some Senn's?

Thanks for the further insight on the 1990s. Based on your description, they may be too hot for me. I do like treble, but treble isn't usually the star in the genres I listen to. I mainly listen to various types of r&b, some metal/rock, electronic, and acoustic.

I appreciate the offer to listen to some songs! I'll try to think of a few by this weekend.

I hear the Elear's are way better than the HD600. How would you compare the X00 to the HD600?

Sorry for autocorrect. Plays more like speakers. I havent owned a x00 for years. The boom in the bass troubled me plus the bass totally failed to integrate with the midrange and treble.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #11,684 of 12,086

Yes, the Klipsch HP-3 exists, no need to compromise. Wide, bassey, detailed - however the sound is definitely coloured. If you want flat, then stay away from this one. (Or just EQ / Sonarworks like everyone else lol)

And I'm extremely surprised no one has mentioned the ZMF lineup. The Eikon for example frequently gets touted as being better than the Fostex TR/H-X series (though I disagree because I'm all about DAT BASS and the Purplehears outdid the entire ZMF lineup) Have a look at their lineup and maybe check their forum pages.

There is the Sony Z1Rs also. Again, coloured, but tall and wide soundstage with deep, deep bass (which can be EQ'd quite well for a pricey can - WHILST keeping the rest of the frequency range untouched). The treble is a bit shiny at the top though, euphorising it making things like bells sound sparkly. All three of those recommendations are very pricey compared to the TH-X00s which I think is one of the best bargains ever. I literally sold my HD 6XXs after because they sounded so bad (they're amazing for their price point, but this is above their price point and it shows).

Not sure about the Beyer recommendations. That is moving far away from the Fostex sound. Those cans don't do sub bass - sure it's PRESENT, but barely and if you try to boost it, they complain. The 1990 will grate on people who are treble sensitive after a while and trying to correct the spike creates a weird sound. If you're not treble sensitive, they are nicely detailed. The 1770 is nice, but I don't feel like it offers anything over the 770 sound wise - build/package wise, it's much better (heavier, pads, case, cables). I haven't heard the GOs but apparently their tuning is different making it better than the originals. If they're keeping true to the house sound though, I couldn't recommend them for music over the Fostex.

The Focal recommendations are interesting too, I think it'd be because you're asking for something between the Fostex and the Sennys, so in that sense, it makes sense; but I would never call the Elear/Elex an upgrade over the Fostex.

Side note, the TH900s are definitely better than the TR/H series, but IMO only by 10% - but in every way, so not really worth double the price, but there is definitely value in upgrading. Nothing wrong with spending money on upgrades to the cans you already have - I find the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads on my Purplehearts are one of the best upgrades ever. Barely any sound changes if any, but comfort is improved and the cans don't so easily slide off your head when you move around / lean forward/back.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #11,685 of 12,086

Bass impact and warm, solid sounding presentation. Was actually just listening to them now for the first time on the full Project Ember rig with Mazda 6CG7 tube and some EQ and boy was is something... these songs have SICK bass:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back