Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #11,401 of 12,087
I ordered directly from Chan. Ebony cups cost $140.
Not cheap, but they definitely look much better than the ebony cups coming with the regular Thx00 Ebony, of which cups look more jet black with less wood grain. Chan also makes sure their cups match well with each other in terms of wood color, grain etc.

So you are saying massdrop cups have less grain? Not true.
CwW51vG.jpg

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #11,404 of 12,087
So you are saying massdrop cups have less grain? Not true.
CwW51vG.jpg
Indeed this one is beautiful. I've seen others real jet black with wood grain only distinguishable very closely.
Let's say it's a draw :o2smile:

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #11,405 of 12,087
If you don't mind me asking, how much does the ebony cost you? Is this a Massdrop order or straight from Chan? I'm curious because I was looking to purchase a pair to play around with my TH610.

Which THX00 cup did you replace with the Ebony?

Very interested in your comparison of the Purpleheart and Ebony. I have the PH and Mohagany and I've been on the fence with the Ebony for far too long!

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #11,406 of 12,087
I replaced the Purple Heart cups with the Ebony ones (from E-mu / Chan).

First, from an aesthetic perspective, the Ebony cups definitely look classy. The dark wood gives a sense of a more "mature" headphone. I also suspect the lacquer finish to be more refined and therefore less fragile.

Then, from a sound perspective, the differences are quite subtle, however discernible.
The lows are just a bit less demonstrative but better controlled, with less bass roll-off. As a consequence, the mids sound a bit cleaner, with just a tad more presence. The highs are the area where the changes are maybe the most obvious during the first listening sessions, showing less harshness, more smoothness.
So in the end, I would say that the sonic differences between the purple heart and the ebony cups are not that obvious at first. At first only. It is indeed with time that l started hearing and enjoying the real nuances.

I see the Ebony as the older brother, showing more wisdom and balance in his judgment :nerd:, with the Purple Heart being the younger brother, showing more energy but also more confusion :sunglasses:.

I really like them both so I dressed them with different pads in order to emphasize their differences: lambskin non perforated pads for the Purple Heart and Hybrid (a mix of lambskin, velours and perforated leather) pads for the Ebony.

Hope these comments will help!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #11,407 of 12,087
These are the best pads ever when combined with a dekoni ring.
Lambskin and memory foam close to the stock sound but much more comfy bass is great and detail, much better than a TH900 pad too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222989892744

59NzicA.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #11,408 of 12,087
These are the best pads ever when combined with a dekoni ring.
Lambskin and memory foam close to the stock sound but much more comfy bass is great and detail, much better than a TH900 pad too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222989892744

Looks like someone made a pad similar to the Jmoney V3 pads for a little over 1/2 the price (when the Jmoney V3's were sold years back)... wonder how they compare. Is there any ring of stiff material inside them at the bottom or is it just foam? And custom attenuator you can make yourself and place inside the ear opening of the pad would be much better than those Dekoni rings...

i-8PbnPvN.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #11,409 of 12,087
UOTE="VRacer-111, post: 14384541, member: 451410"]Looks like someone made a pad similar to the Jmoney V3 pads for a little over 1/2 the price (when the Jmoney V3's were sold years back)... wonder how they compare. Is there any ring of stiff material inside them at the bottom or is it just foam? And custom attenuator you can make yourself and place inside the ear opening of the pad would be much better than those Dekoni rings...

i-8PbnPvN.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have only used the fostex stock pad and the original th-900 and a perofrated one, with this pad pictured below I did have to use the dekoni attenuation ring and the result is the most detail with balanced bass.
I found the th900 pad very muddy with crappy mids. This pad with the ring is like the stock pads on steroids and you can actually fit your ear in it.

Here is more pics on my th610. They look to be a little different than the jmoney and there is one pic where you see the dekoni ring lines up perfectly with them.

I have made a Chinese contact that makes them on demand but he needs min ordered of 10.
5a1chUi.jpg 9WirwL2.jpg I04Bpyl.jpg VeU7tU4.jpgcos36bU.jpg Q9xEWL7.jpg tTSQoSy.jpg [Q

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #11,410 of 12,087
Did anyone get their TR-X00 mah/ebo/purple yet?
If so, how are they? If you possibly have TH version, do they sound same than TR?

I mean I live in Finland and I think I will get mine this week so I assume people in America already have theirs.

Edit:
]
I have only used the fostex stock pad and the original th-900 and a perofrated one, with this pad pictured below I did have to use the dekoni attenuation ring and the result is the most detail with balanced bass.
I found the th900 pad very muddy with crappy mids. This pad with the ring is like the stock pads on steroids and you can actually fit your ear in it.

Here is more pics on my th610. They look to be a little different than the jmoney and there is one pic where you see the dekoni ring lines up perfectly with them.

I have made a Chinese contact that makes them on demand but he needs min ordered of 10.

Wait you have TR in that picture?!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #11,411 of 12,087
Did anyone get their TR-X00 mah/ebo/purple yet?
If so, how are they? If you possibly have TH version, do they sound same than TR?

I mean I live in Finland and I think I will get mine this week so I assume people in America already have theirs.

Edit:

Wait you have TR in that picture?!

No it's my TH-610 with "my most awesome pads in the world for fostex" (that is what marketing said to call them).

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #11,412 of 12,087
Got my purpleheart after that looong wait, they sound so bassy (in good way) compared to HD650 that its not even funny.
I didnt listen HD650 today yet, straight to fostex, "yeah these have some bass and sound good", after 30min I was like but is the difference really that big, changed back to HD650 and damn they sound like there is no bass.
Also I dont hear the highs being too high.
Going from purplehearts to HD650 was like going from 2.1 speakers to 2.0

The looks, 1 of the things I could not wait see is the grain and color.
They look better than I expected again, and they feel so well build and quality feels nice.
The grains are easy to see, in sunlight they look almost like a bit darker + reddish mahogany version and in darker room the "normal" wine red:ish.

IMG_20180815_120053.jpg

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #11,413 of 12,087
Purplehearts are currently on Massdrop again - I only just noticed. 4 hours left.
I'm going to pull the trigger; I pulled out last time because of unexpect car expenses. I don't quite have the money technically, but I'm trying to convince myself that's what savings are for :D
I heard my friend's one and they are perfect for my needs.
They don't make the V-Moda M100s redundant for extreme sub bass levels and they're not as open and wide as the Fidelio X2HRs, yet wider, bassier and less intrusive (read: no ANC) than my Sony MDR-1000X and more well rounded (read: actually have sub bass and highs are more exciting) than my 6XXs.
There are rumours of some people putting TH-900 drivers in them and after hearing the TH-900, I'd love to do that to mine one day.

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #11,414 of 12,087
Got my purpleheart after that looong wait, they sound so bassy (in good way) compared to HD650 that its not even funny.
I didnt listen HD650 today yet, straight to fostex, "yeah these have some bass and sound good", after 30min I was like but is the difference really that big, changed back to HD650 and damn they sound like there is no bass.
Also I dont hear the highs being too high.
Going from purplehearts to HD650 was like going from 2.1 speakers to 2.0

The looks, 1 of the things I could not wait see is the grain and color.
They look better than I expected again, and they feel so well build and quality feels nice.
The grains are easy to see, in sunlight they look almost like a bit darker + reddish mahogany version and in darker room the "normal" wine red:ish.

IMG_20180815_120053.jpg

Nice!

I ordered up connectors from China and will be putting them on this sennheiser cable.

SYSPl5P.jpg

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #11,415 of 12,087
So I have been using all stock TR PH for few days now and yeah I think I really need pad and headband swap, these really hurt to use for long sessions.
ZMF Ori and pilot band is my plan, is there any short guide how to do that plastic or whatever mod to pad to keep the most "original" sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back