Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #11,372 of 12,086
I cant wait to order PH someday but im bit worried about the highs, are they really fatiguing and sharp like some people say?
That can be fixed with EQ right?

I found the highs fatiguing (mine is modded with lawton driver tune-up and ori pads). Used to fix it with EQ but i ended up modding mine with rubber (rubber shoe pads) onto the foam ring that is under the headphone pad. Pretty easy to do. Now i EQ only to bring more fun to them. I've also added some merino wool on the other side of the same foam ring for a small change. The biggest change being with the rubber mod. Now i can spend all day without feeling fatigue.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #11,373 of 12,086
May 25, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #11,374 of 12,086
I cant wait to order PH someday but im bit worried about the highs, are they really fatiguing and sharp like some people say?
That can be fixed with EQ right?
Find an Ebony, you won't regret it. No harsh highs, smooth and very nice with all genre of music. My ears enjoy very much, it's pleasureful. :smile_phones: Nicki Parrott is wonderful! So much ear pleasure. It gets so much head time. This is an all arounder, except slight under-performance with heavy rock. Smoother treble and better bass than EMU Teak.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #11,375 of 12,086
This case will pretty much handle most HP’s? I only need 1 as all mine stay hanging in my music/movie room and only take 1 out at a time. Just looking for the most versatile case on the cheap that’s still really good.
Vracer sent a TH-X00 headphone included in this case. Very nice case, stiff and durable(of course you'd have to know if your headphone fits well). Nice price.

May 25, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #11,376 of 12,086
This case will pretty much handle most HP’s? I only need 1 as all mine stay hanging in my music/movie room and only take 1 out at a time. Just looking for the most versatile case on the cheap that’s still really good.

Yes, most all large over ears will work with it, even AKG K7XX just fit. Trying to remember if the M1060 fits or not...

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #11,377 of 12,086
Yes, most all large over ears will work with it, even AKG K7XX just fit. Trying to remember if the M1060 fits or not...
Cool. I just ordered off yours and the others feedback. I don’t own the 1060 anymore but it’s big so if that fits, anything pretty much will. Want to use especially for the Purplehearts, Sony’s and Denon’s. Thanks for the confirmation man!

May 25, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #11,378 of 12,086
Cool. I just ordered off yours and the others feedback. I don’t own the 1060 anymore but it’s big so if that fits, anything pretty much will. Want to use especially for the Purplehearts, Sony’s and Denon’s. Thanks for the confirmation man!

Also depends on the pads used on a TH-X00/AH-DX000: ZMF Ori will be fine though a little tighter fit, something like the MrSpeakers Alpha Pads (almost equivalent to Audeze LCD2 pads in size/shape) are EXTREMELY too tight and not really a good fit at all in the case - I'd be worried about stressing the magnesium frame and snapping something with Alpha pads in a Slappa case... the ZMF ori is about as much pad as I would feel comfortable with in the Slappa case.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #11,380 of 12,086
Hey guys! Can anyone comparise lambskin and protein leather Ori pads in terms of changes in sound? I am going to find aftermarket pleather pads if they sound as good as lambskin.

I really like the feeling of stock pleather pads, but don't want to trade soundstage and bass quality for comfort.

May 31, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #11,381 of 12,086
Wow, it took them forever, but the TH-X00 are finally being released in 1 day with detachable cables on Massdrop, now rebranded as the TR-X00 :) Screenshot_20180531-184327_Chrome~01.jpg

May 31, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #11,383 of 12,086
Wow, it took them forever, but the TH-X00 are finally being released in 1 day with detachable cables on Massdrop, now rebranded as the TR-X00 :)
Wonder why they settled on Sennheiser connectors. Why not 2.5mm like all us self-modded out here lol.

May 31, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #11,385 of 12,086
Wonder why they settled on Sennheiser connectors. Why not 2.5mm like all us self-modded out here lol.
At least they chose an industry standard connector and didn't do something super proprietary. Also, if you want 2.5mm you can always get the EMU Teak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back