Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #11,386 of 12,086
At least they chose an industry standard connector and didn't do something super proprietary. Also, if you want 2.5mm you can always get the EMU Teak.
I think, but could have dismembered it :), that the Senn connection approach requires no mods to the cups, while the 3.5mm connectors require modding the cups... It could have been as simple as deciding based on the path of least resistance / lowest manufacturing cost. But I might have gotten that wrong.

Decisions, decisions... keep my th-x00 as is (hate the cable, really, someone should be taken out back to the woodshed for that monstrosity), pay to have them modded, or sell them and buy the new ones...

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #11,388 of 12,086
I think, but could have dismembered it :), that the Senn connection approach requires no mods to the cups, while the 3.5mm connectors require modding the cups... It could have been as simple as deciding based on the path of least resistance / lowest manufacturing cost. But I might have gotten that wrong.

Decisions, decisions... keep my th-x00 as is (hate the cable, really, someone should be taken out back to the woodshed for that monstrosity), pay to have them modded, or sell them and buy the new ones...
I think I remember the same logic about the HD6 connectors and it also applies to some other connectors like SMC and MMCX that the cups don't have to be cut.

If you can solder then I'd suggest doing the mod with SMC jacks yourself, its one of the easier mods to do and I've done 5 of them; TH-600, TH-900 (3x) and one TH-X00. Only need to source the SMC jacks from Vetco since these are the only ones that fit without much effort.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #11,389 of 12,086
Well, I take back everything I said about the new connector. It appears that while being the same as the TH-610 and 900 MKII the polarity is reversed (the pins are also slightly different sizes) compared to the Senn connector so you can't use the plethora of cables available for the Senns. The only cables I was able to find that would fit were some very overpriced TH-900 ones. I wasn't able to find just the connectors either, so no making my own cable either. Unless the aftermarket selection picks up I guess I will still plan on getting the EMU Teak at some point instead. It's a bummer, though. I was hoping for a slightly cheaper alternative.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #11,390 of 12,086
Ordered TR-X00 PH but im tiny bit worried about the connectors, its gonna be pain in the butt to get replacement cable with same connectors?
Is the mount and all things around the connector sturdy enough so those tiny things dont just snap and wiggle around?
If its anything close to sennheisers then I guess I dont need to worry since those feel really sturdy and no wiggle and you really have to pull them to get the plug out.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #11,391 of 12,086
Ordered TR-X00 PH but im tiny bit worried about the connectors, its gonna be pain in the butt to get replacement cable with same connectors?

Based on my preliminary Google search, I would say yes it will.

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #11,393 of 12,086
I own TH900 MKII, TH610, and HD600. I use my HD600 short cable for the Fostexs sometimes. It works just reverse it. The R and L facing in instead of out. I'm sure it's the same way for the TR series.

You can use the Sennheiser cable on the Fostex's but not the Fostex cable on the Sennheiser's, correct?

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #11,394 of 12,086
I own TH900 MKII, TH610, and HD600. I use my HD600 short cable for the Fostexs sometimes. It works just reverse it. The R and L facing in instead of out. I'm sure it's the same way for the TR series.
Aren't the pins different size though?
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 9.47.33 AM.png

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #11,395 of 12,086
Based on my preliminary Google search, I would say yes it will.

Sennheiser cables will work on the Fostex's, I've seen it done by multiple people. Not ideal because of the polarity switch, but will physically work. Just rework the wire to correct polarity and it's 100%...or have a DAC/amp that allows for switching polarity (like the RME ADI-2 DAC) and no wiring change is needed and the cable could be used optimally for both Sennheiser and Fostex.

Personally, I have no issues with the permanent cables...actually prefer them over detachable cables for 2 reasons:

1. Detachable cables have more chance of damaging the headphone/being damaged inadvertantly, because they have direct, stiff connection to the cups and much larger minimum bend radius in practice. The stock fixed cable sits much farther away from your shoulders than the connector in the removeable cable versions, will need to be more careful in not having your shoulder end up tweaking the connection. Thats why I like the HD700 style of detachable cable, connection point is in the middle of the cup - not added distance to the bottom of the headphone.

2. Connection points wear with use and get looser, more problematic over time. They have a limited mating/demating rating and its life is measured is in the HUNDREDS of cycles. You still need to leave them attached as much as possible to keep from going through use cycles. And both sides will wear, so eventually the cup sockets will need replacement if you cycle them too much. Stock cable lasts a LONG time and is 100% secure 100% of the time. My Denon AH-D2000 is a decade old now and has seen rough use throughout....the cable is still in excellent shape other than the 1/8" plug end being bent and cracked.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #11,396 of 12,086
@VRacer-111, In some ways I agree with you about fixed cables but I've seen some get the long stock cable run over with office chairs or having someone walk by and get a foot caught in the cable and yank the headphone right off the person using them so being able to change the cable to one of the preferred length is nice to have. The other issue I have with fixed cable is some stock cables are microphonic, too stiff, heavy or too short for some.

With the TH-X00/TH-600/TH-900 the SMC jacks are small enough and are slightly angled forward so getting in the way of your shoulder is not an issue for most.

Jun 18, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #11,397 of 12,086
72E95E64-9B90-48B2-BAD4-1655050E89B3.jpeg
Just received E-mu Ebony cups for my 2nd thx00. They look gorgeous...
Now I will have to test and compare to my thx00 purple heart, and maybe with some other pads as well !

Jun 18, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #11,398 of 12,086
Just received E-mu Ebony cups for my 2nd thx00. They look gorgeous...
Now I will have to test and compare to my thx00 purple heart, and maybe with some other pads as well !

If you don't mind me asking, how much does the ebony cost you? Is this a Massdrop order or straight from Chan? I'm curious because I was looking to purchase a pair to play around with my TH610.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #11,399 of 12,086
If you don't mind me asking, how much does the ebony cost you? Is this a Massdrop order or straight from Chan? I'm curious because I was looking to purchase a pair to play around with my TH610.
I ordered directly from Chan. Ebony cups cost $140.
Not cheap, but they definitely look much better than the ebony cups coming with the regular Thx00 Ebony, of which cups look more jet black with less wood grain. Chan also makes sure their cups match well with each other in terms of wood color, grain etc.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #11,400 of 12,086
I ordered directly from Chan. Ebony cups cost $140.
Not cheap, but they definitely look much better than the ebony cups coming with the regular Thx00 Ebony, of which cups look more jet black with less wood grain. Chan also makes sure their cups match well with each other in terms of wood color, grain etc.
Thanks for the info. That's not bad at all. I'm definitely considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back