Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #11,416 of 12,086
So I have been using all stock TR PH for few days now and yeah I think I really need pad and headband swap, these really hurt to use for long sessions.
ZMF Ori and pilot band is my plan, is there any short guide how to do that plastic or whatever mod to pad to keep the most "original" sound?

Same issue here. My pilot pad arrived today and that helps a bit. Went with the Brainwavz sheepskin pads and the bass now has what I'd call a more precise feel to it. On stock pads the bass is a little more "thumpy." Those pads sit off your ears a bit more making them more comfortable for me.

Patiently waiting with you for someone else's response to your last question.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #11,417 of 12,086
For the attenuators, you make them from thin, stiff material like manila folder, plastic, styrofoam, etc...

This is the shape I use (shown with suede ZMF Ori):

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-38pcFNZ/1/373e56a1/X4/i-38pcFNZ-X4.jpg

Place it in the back half of the pad, in behind the ear, don't want anything in front portion of the ear or you will negativly affect clarity and detail of the mids and highs. But you can experiment with different shape/designs and thicknesses.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-kBZgNGc/1/0b85d382/O/i-kBZgNGc.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #11,418 of 12,086
So I have been using all stock TR PH for few days now and yeah I think I really need pad and headband swap, these really hurt to use for long sessions.
ZMF Ori and pilot band is my plan, is there any short guide how to do that plastic or whatever mod to pad to keep the most "original" sound?
Same issue here. My pilot pad arrived today and that helps a bit. Went with the Brainwavz sheepskin pads and the bass now has what I'd call a more precise feel to it. On stock pads the bass is a little more "thumpy." Those pads sit off your ears a bit more making them more comfortable for me.

Patiently waiting with you for someone else's response to your last question.

I like your style! FAR too many people overlook the Pilot Pad. Pilot Pad + ZMF sheepskin pads easily make my PH's the MOST comfy headphones in my collection.

I believe you're talking about VRacer's custom attenuators? There's no published measurements on how to make them (and I've been too lazy to actually do it myself yet). Just take a manilla folder or something similar and a pair of scissors, and go to town.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-761#post-14384541

Lastly.....or perhaps firstly, as this mod will make a substantial difference.......is the Lawton Tune-Up kit. Don't bother with the pads, just the basic $45 kit is good.
http://lawtonaudio.com/fostextune-up.html
Install the driver dampening only, do NOT install the foam in the cups! You can play with that later if you desire, but I haven't heard of anyone who kept that in there.

Annnd, just for completeness, here's some more Fostex tweaking....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/th-...re-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles.802704/

Hope this helps!

*edit* VRacer beat me to posting by about a minute! *shakefist* :p

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #11,419 of 12,086
For the attenuators, you make them from thin, stiff material like manila folder, plastic, styrofoam, etc...

This is the shape I use (shown with suede ZMF Ori):

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-38pcFNZ/1/373e56a1/X4/i-38pcFNZ-X4.jpg

Place it in the back half of the pad, in behind the ear, don't want anything in front portion of the ear or you will negativly affect clarity and detail of the mids and highs. But you can experiment with different shape/designs and thicknesses.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-kBZgNGc/1/0b85d382/O/i-kBZgNGc.jpg

I like your style! FAR too many people overlook the Pilot Pad. Pilot Pad + ZMF sheepskin pads easily make my PH's the MOST comfy headphones in my collection.

I believe you're talking about VRacer's custom attenuators? There's no published measurements on how to make them (and I've been too lazy to actually do it myself yet). Just take a manilla folder or something similar and a pair of scissors, and go to town.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-761#post-14384541

Lastly.....or perhaps firstly, as this mod will make a substantial difference.......is the Lawton Tune-Up kit. Don't bother with the pads, just the basic $45 kit is good.
http://lawtonaudio.com/fostextune-up.html
Install the driver dampening only, do NOT install the foam in the cups! You can play with that later if you desire, but I haven't heard of anyone who kept that in there.

Annnd, just for completeness, here's some more Fostex tweaking....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/th-...re-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles.802704/

Hope this helps!

*edit* VRacer beat me to posting by about a minute! *shakefist* :p

Thank you both.
Im pretty happy with the current sound but I do wonder what kind of difference that Lawton mod makes.
There is new videos from Z with TH900, with and without Lawton mod, I just hate that he uses different dac/amp whatever too, that could make the difference, not the mod.
The modded in those videos sound a bit more "roomy" and have more echo maybe? Definitely more bass too if you check the Deadmau5 part. But again is that all because of the mod or because of the different amp/dac?
Also its the full mod with different cups and all, cant that small difference that the dampening does be done bit of EQ:ing?

He also have review video of the non modded to modded and he talks about the changes more but how can he compare sounds with weeks between the listening sessions...

Stock

Modded

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #11,422 of 12,086
TX00 is Dynamic, V-shaped with lots of bass. HE-4001 is Planar magnetic and more neutral sounding.

So the mids should be much better? How bout the stage size and imaging? I already have the X00 and think the world of it. Definitely the best headphones I’ve ever had (but also most expensive) so it’s hard to see myself being pulled away. I do really enjoy female vocals, classical, and occasionally jazz so I’m curious if the HE-400i would be substantially better for those. Also interested in the “speed” of magnetic planar since I listen to a lot of synthwave and fast paced music with a lot going on. Biggest concern right now is that the bass would be a big letdown since ive been really pleased with the X00. I also watch a lot of movies/shows so if the whole imaging thing of the 400i is better for that it’d be another thing going for it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #11,423 of 12,086
So the mids should be much better? How bout the stage size and imaging? I already have the X00 and think the world of it. Definitely the best headphones I’ve ever had (but also most expensive) so it’s hard to see myself being pulled away. I do really enjoy female vocals, classical, and occasionally jazz so I’m curious if the HE-400i would be substantially better for those. Also interested in the “speed” of magnetic planar since I listen to a lot of synthwave and fast paced music with a lot going on. Biggest concern right now is that the bass would be a big letdown since ive been really pleased with the X00. I also watch a lot of movies/shows so if the whole imaging thing of the 400i is better for that it’d be another thing going for it.
I auditioned the 400i when I still owned the TH-X00 and found them (the 400i) drab and lifeless in comparison. Don't be fooled by the fact that they're planar magnetic - there are far better planars out there. A used LCD-2F (with the latest drivers) will set you back ~$500 and be far better than the 400i in my opinion, even for classical and jazz. The 400i build quality also leaves much to be desired. So unless you can try them first, my advice would be to look elsewhere.

Aug 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #11,424 of 12,086

Just to muddle the pot, the HE-560 V3s are on sale for $300 on Adorama right now. They're supposed to be a pretty decent upgrade all around from the 400i.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #11,425 of 12,086

I'll throw my opinion in the ring too. I would say the HE4XX (from Massdrop) has the most bass of the 400 line from Hifiman. On the right amp they sound magical and a great all-rounder. They are a steal at $170.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #11,426 of 12,086
I auditioned the 400i when I still owned the TH-X00 and found them (the 400i) drab and lifeless in comparison. Don't be fooled by the fact that they're planar magnetic - there are far better planars out there. A used LCD-2F (with the latest drivers) will set you back ~$500 and be far better than the 400i in my opinion, even for classical and jazz. The 400i build quality also leaves much to be desired. So unless you can try them first, my advice would be to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback. They would be obtained through a trade, but based on everything I’ve read I don’t see myself taking the risk. The X00 is just so good to me and you know what they say, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!” ...though my earcup assembly broke off the X00 and is currently attached with a zip tie.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #11,428 of 12,086
I'll throw my opinion in the ring too. I would say the HE4XX (from Massdrop) has the most bass of the 400 line from Hifiman. On the right amp they sound magical and a great all-rounder. They are a steal at $170.

That sounds like a great deal as well. These would be a trade though (which I’m inclined to pass on). Will definitely keep them in mind next time I’m on the hunt!

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #11,429 of 12,086
Hi there,

I'm really interested in getting one of these new TR-X00 (Ebony version). I'm ready to buy but before I just want to be sure that they are comfortable enough. I first owned a Sennheiser HD 600 which is still today the most comfortable headphones I had. Then I switched to a Final Sonorous VI which brought me some problems (the pads on my ears). So I bought the Ori pads from ZMF and the problem was solved.

And here I am. I want to test a new sound signature. I'm selling my Sonorous VI and getting these Fostex.

So here are two simple questions.

Are these Fostex as comfortable as the headphones I owned? I can imagine they are a bit heavier than the HD 600 (which is not a problem) but lighter than the Sonorous VI.

Do the Ori pads fit on the Fostex? What can you tell me about the original pads?

Thank you

Aug 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #11,430 of 12,086
Hi there,

I'm really interested in getting one of these new TR-X00 (Ebony version). I'm ready to buy but before I just want to be sure that they are comfortable enough. I first owned a Sennheiser HD 600 which is still today the most comfortable headphones I had. Then I switched to a Final Sonorous VI which brought me some problems (the pads on my ears). So I bought the Ori pads from ZMF and the problem was solved.

And here I am. I want to test a new sound signature. I'm selling my Sonorous VI and getting these Fostex.

So here are two simple questions.

Are these Fostex as comfortable as the headphones I owned? I can imagine they are a bit heavier than the HD 600 (which is not a problem) but lighter than the Sonorous VI.

Do the Ori pads fit on the Fostex? What can you tell me about the original pads?

Thank you
The TH-X00s are pretty comfortable. They don't clamp as hard as HD600s, but are a little heavier and weighted differently. The stock pads have very small openings though, so if you have medium to large sized ears I would recommend swapping pads. The different pad options out there often increase the soundstage a bit and improve imaging at the expense of some bass impact (usually - YMMV). I've heard that the Ori pads sound pretty decent, but I have some Dekoni pads that I really love (fenestrated sheepskin - elite sheepskin will have more bass though). Lastly, to take the comfort to another level I would highly recommend getting a pilot pad for the TH-X00 because that will alleviate some of the weight distribution issues. All in all, they're pretty damn comfortable but not perfect in stock form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back