1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762
764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773
Next

Last
  1. poshisolation
    Thank you! I'll probably get them and take a look at these Dekoni pads.

2. drbluenewmexico
    yes, the Dekoni pads with the bass tempering ring made a huge difference, bass more controlled, more dynamics, better tone definately a
    serious worthy improvement. i have the elite sheepskin.

3. VRacer-111
    I would keep the ZMF Ori pads to use with the TR-X00... will improve both comfort and sound (will need to make some attenuators to get back most of the lost bass though). The ZMF Ori with custom attenuator is a VERY good pad for the TX-X00 series headphones.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  4. Eylrik
    I fully concur with the pads swapping.
    I tried them all and I personally use Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, which are closest to the stock pads signature.
    Thx00 are very comfortable, with not much clamping.
    From my perspective, Ebony is the way to go (although purple hearts are super sexy).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  5. Vipu
    2 people that already answered with saying these are comfortable, I dont agree at all.
    I have normal sized ears but the holes are just way too small for anything else than small ears in stock pads.
    I have used mine for 1 week and they dont feel any better and already ordered Ori and Pilot pads yesterday.

I have also Sennheiser HD595 and HD650, those are really comfy headphones, could wear them all day with no problem.
    But TR-X00, damn I can wear them about 1h before they really start to hurt ears and I want to put them down or swap to Sennheisers.

The main problems I think are the small holes in pads (about 5,5cm high, 3,5cm wide) if your ears are about that size or bigger then ur gonna have problems.
    2nd: The inside of the pads are pretty hard, I guess its the plastic ring or something, that I think is what starts to hurt if your ear touches the pads even a bit.
    3rd: The headband, its not as bad as the pads but it also starts to press your head but much later than the pads will start to hurt your ears.

So all in all, if you have small ears they might be pretty comfy but normal to big, nop.

6. Eylrik
    I guess we kinda all agree, confortable...with other pads.
    Stock-> small ears
    Dekoni-> medium ears
    ZMF-> large ears

7. jsmiller58
    I have a question about the mod folks are talking about. I assume that people who swap pads put the existing plastic disk from the stock pads into their replacement pads... Is there something in addition to that which is being referred to?

8. VRacer-111
    Not in addition to, instead of. The original pad built-in plastic disc and add-on Dekoni disc inserts underneath the pads have issues with bring up the bass at the expense of clarity and detail. If you want to bring out the best quality and elevate from mid-fi closer to top end level of performance then Lawton dampening + proper pads with custom attenuators is the way to go. Will gain clarity, detail, bass extension, and much better instrument separation.

See this post for the custom attenuators: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-762#post-14428908

9. Zbell
    So there's the attachment ring that you can take off of the stock pads and insert into new pads (or you can buy new attachment rings so that you can easily pad swap back and forth). In addition to the attachment ring, Dekoni sells an attenuation ring (https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...stex-massdrop-x00-th610-and-th900-headphones/) which is pretty much needed for any of their pads and likely Ori pads as well. The attenuation ring is supposed to elevate the bass and brings the bass impact closer to stock sound. Hope this helps!

10. Eylrik
    Yes, you will obviously have to place the white stock mounting rings in your new pads. In addition, you can insert attenuation rings (sold by Dekoni). These attenuation rings are quite mandatory from my perspective (but some people choose not to use them) with the Dekoni pads. They bring more bass, less resonance as well.
    I don't think ZMF sells attenuation rings.
    Next level would be to 3d-print attenuation rings with the shape and thickness based on your new earpads and sound signature taste.
    Some people also apply some felt on the attenuation rings in order to bring back the bass as close as possible to the level the stock pads provide.

11. jsmiller58
    Thank you - this was the question that I was asking.

To repeat, of course I have to reuse the stock mounting ring, but not the stock attenuation plastic. Instead I replace the stock attenuation ring with the custom attenuator as you showed.

I will try the experiment!

12. VRacer-111
    Yep. Aftermarket pads usually loose bass impact and presence which the custom attenuators will restore to near stock level but with better clarity, detail, and slight bass extension compared to the stock pads. The Lawton driver damping mod is what will bring in the noticably better instrument separation and a little more open sound along with a small boost in detail, clarity, and extension.

13. jsmiller58
    Thanks! I should have mentioned I have already done the Lawton driver mod (but did not add the additional dampening in the cup). The stock pads are just to small for my ears, so I have some other pads to experiment with.

14. Pahani
    Great! You have already taken the first step.

IMO the Lawton Mod affects the sound much more than the pad swap does, though the pad swap will likely still be needed for comfort issues.

There are 2 camps on the pad issue...ZMF and Dekoni. I'm a ZMF guy myself, and have no plans to try the other :p Already had the ZMF and Lawton parts sitting on my desk before my (first run, sub-200 serial #) Purplehearts arrived.The Dekonis were a later entry.

I'm quite sure VRacer has tried (and perhaps graphed) both, in addition to his prized Jmoney pads. Ask him.

15. VRacer-111
    Don't think I've posted it here, but this is my take on pads for the TH-X00PH:

Brainwavz HM5 Hybrids (with custom attenuator) - see Dekoni Premium sheepskin for sound, for comfort they are better than any Dekoni or the stock pads.

Dekoni Premium Sheepskin (with Dekoni attenuator) - More muffled than stock with about almost same detail, bass similar but slightly more boomy with the attenuation rings. Mids more recessed, highs about same. Less comfortable than stock pads - actually have a smaller opening than stock.

Dekoni Th900 sheepskin (with Dekoni attenuator) - Less issue with muffledness, but reduction in the bass and just not that dynamic sounding. Thin pads as well, the headphone will clamp less than with the stock pads... loosest fitting pad I've tried have to be careful , tilt your head and they could fall off. The earholes are round and small in ID , so worse comfort than the Dekoni Premium sheepskins.

Denon AH-D2000 - Sounds similar to stock TH-X00 pads, but better as there is a little less bloom to the bass and slight improvement in detail/finese. Comfort improved from stock, but not as good as Jmoney V3, Shure, or ZMF pads

Jmoney V3 (with custom attenuator) - You want a rich, musical sounding experience with great deep reaching and hard hitting bass that is also more detailed and tighter than stock, these are the pads. They are THE pads for a Purpleheart version, only problem is they are unicorns that are nearly impossible to find used... simply don't exist anymore. Mids are more forward than stock and the highs have great energy yet don't cross the line. Comfort is very good, but the ZMF pads are better in that regard.

Lawton Audio Angle pads - While it has great sound quality technicalities, it is absolutely the wrong pad for the TH-X00 unless you hate the stock bass. It pretty much destroys the stock bass feel...loses much impact and overall bass presence. It is a highly detailed sounding pad, but it ruins the TH-X00 in the process. You might as well get an Audio Technica openback if you want that kind of sound. Comfort is surprisingly not that great either...the 'foam' material is stiff yet light and it fits weird on the head. Jmoney V3 , Shure, and ZMF pads are more comfortable. It also one of the most expensive pads for a TH-X00.

Shure 1540 (with custom attenuator) - EXTREME V profile with the treble extremely piercing and the bass beyond a bloated mess, mids nearly absent sounding being drowned out from both ends. Comfort is pretty good though, only behind the Jmoney and ZMF pads.

Shure 1840 (with custom attenuator) - Noticeably better than the 1540 pads, much less V but still not suited for TH-X00 duty. Comfort about same as 1540 pads.

ZMF Ori sheepskin (with custom attenuator) - Best currently available pad I've tried on the TH-X00. Better clarity and details than most other pads, the suede version bests it here. Bass level while less than stock is still nice and impactful, and integrates better with the mids than any other pad.

ZMF Ori Suede (with custom attenuator) - The most balanced pad I've tried for the TH-X00. Less bass impact than the sheepskin version, mids are more forward as are highs. Detail and clarity/resolution is the highest I've heard. Very dynamic sounding and It's more cold sounding than the sheepskin version. Comfort like that of the sheepskin version.

theangelboy, HesterDW, katulu and 4 others like this.
First

Back
753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762
764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773
Next

Last