Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #10,681 of 12,087
I have had to repair mine as the screw on the left hand side of mine was loose and the little washer misshapen when I got mine from massdrop. I just disassembled and tightened it up. Has been fine since

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #10,682 of 12,087
for those ordered from BLINQ could y'all list the condition you purchased as, and the serial number on the headphone you received? so future potential buyers has a point of reference, thanks.

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #10,683 of 12,087
Oh yeah I have my return shipping label already and leaving shortly to drop it off at UPS (the order was guaranteed 30 day return by both the seller and then had an eBay guarantee so not worried about getting my money back).
I also found an unboxing video here:

Curious if you bought open box, or brand new like I did @gazzington and if so, did you headphones come bubble wrapped/any plastic film around box? Did it come with the pouch and adaptor that this were in this video. (you dont have to watch the video, but basically it came with like a satin type carrying pouch which and a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, which I dont really care that much about but just curious since it's a signifier that it's actually new).
I'm honestly debating giving them one more chance because the savings are nice (didnt quite want to spend the money all-in after new pads and tune up that buying from mass drop directly would require). But this was definitely concerning.

Serial # was 01857 if that matters to anyone.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #10,685 of 12,087
Oh yeah I have my return shipping label already and leaving shortly to drop it off at UPS (the order was guaranteed 30 day return by both the seller and then had an eBay guarantee so not worried about getting my money back).
I also found an unboxing video here:

Curious if you bought open box, or brand new like I did @gazzington and if so, did you headphones come bubble wrapped/any plastic film around box? Did it come with the pouch and adaptor that this were in this video. (you dont have to watch the video, but basically it came with like a satin type carrying pouch which and a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, which I dont really care that much about but just curious since it's a signifier that it's actually new).
I'm honestly debating giving them one more chance because the savings are nice (didnt quite want to spend the money all-in after new pads and tune up that buying from mass drop directly would require). But this was definitely concerning.

Serial # was 01857 if that matters to anyone.

Looking at the Massdrop Purpleheart listing, they have sold 2715 for this drop (not sure if there are any drops before this one for the PH), so a serial number 1857 would mean it's somewhere in the middle of the current production run.

Thinking further, why would BLINQ sell brand new PH at such a big discount? I suspect they only have used/refurb/returns/open box and just randomly marking them "Brand new" and "as new" to try their luck on customers not returning them.

@Tetonpowskier also bought from BLINQ and ended up returning them due to some issues.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #10,686 of 12,087
Looking at the Massdrop Purpleheart listing, they have sold 2715 for this drop (not sure if there are any drops before this one for the PH), so a serial number 1857 would mean it's somewhere in the middle of the current production run.

Thinking further, why would BLINQ sell brand new PH at such a big discount? I suspect they only have used/refurb/returns/open box and just randomly marking them "Brand new" and "as new" to try their luck on customers not returning them.

@Tetonpowskier also bought from BLINQ and ended up returning them due to some issues.

I asked the same question on reddit, apparently there was a defect with the first batch and the finish on the purplehearts. The user on reddit did not have any issues with his set however.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #10,687 of 12,087
Anyone found perfect ear pads replacement for X00? Stock pads are extremely uncomfy.
I've tried Brainwavz rounds and oval pads - they make X00 treble cannons.
Waiting for Massdrop Dekoni Velour pads to arrive later.

Never tried Sheepskins from Dekoni, looks like they're similar shape as originals so may not affect sound signature.

And I see Lawtons out there, anyone compared them to Dekoni's? Which one's most comfortable for extended periods w/o affecting sound signature much?

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #10,688 of 12,087
Anyone found perfect ear pads replacement for X00? Stock pads are extremely uncomfy.
I've tried Brainwavz rounds and oval pads - they make X00 treble cannons.
Waiting for Massdrop Dekoni Velour pads to arrive later.

Never tried Sheepskins from Dekoni, looks like they're similar shape as originals so may not affect sound signature.

And I see Lawtons out there, anyone compared them to Dekoni's? Which one's most comfortable for extended periods w/o affecting sound signature much?

I would recommend the ZMF Ori with custom in-pad attenuator. Would NEVER recommend the Lawton pads - they severely change the sound/reduce the bass, and are not that comfortable.

Here's a comparison I did a little while back in this thread between the ZMF Ori, Jmoney V3, and Lawton angle pads:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-691#post-13594539

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #10,689 of 12,087
I would recommend the ZMF Ori with custom in-pad attenuator. Would NEVER recommend the Lawton pads - they severely change the sound/reduce the bass, and are not that comfortable.

Here's a comparison I did a little while back in this thread between the ZMF Ori, Jmoney V3, and Lawton angle pads:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-691#post-13594539
Oh yes, I forgot to mention ZMF.

Okay Lawton crossed off, cause recessed bass and elevated highs this is exactly what I don't want to achieve.

Any experience with ZMF ovals? They have larger opening than Ori and look so comfy.. but different shape, dunno abt sound changes

So now I'm in between ZMF Ori / Eikon / Ovals, Dekoni Sheepskins/Fenestrated Sheepskin and Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Angled

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #10,690 of 12,087
I have the Lawton full mod on my th900 and it has equal bass to my stock th900 and the other th900 that I changed the cable. I think just putting Lawtons pads without the full mod is what you talking about.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #10,691 of 12,087
I have the Lawton full mod on my th900 and it has equal bass to my stock th900 and the other th900 that I changed the cable. I think just putting Lawtons pads without the full mod is what you talking about.
TH900 is quite different. X00 achieve its sound signature mostly cause of shape of its pads. X00 w stock TH900 pads are treble cannons, IMO

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #10,693 of 12,087
It's actually quite discouraging to read how many mixed reviews there are on pads for these ... the only consistency I am finding is with the ZMF Eikons :frowning2:
I take it ss everybody is being honest and everybody hears differently. An opinion is ones opinion. In time nost opinions will change.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #10,694 of 12,087
My PHs has serial #023xx. Forgot exact number, left them burning-in at my office. But I noticed bass is stronger and hits earlier on the right side. Is there something I can check / fix on my own before contacting MassDrop? I am too impatient to do the exchange/return if it’s sinething I can check or fix easily

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #10,695 of 12,087
Why do you have so many TH900s lol .. are all of these mods between them making them that much different ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back