Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #10,696 of 12,089
It's actually quite discouraging to read how many mixed reviews there are on pads for these ... the only consistency I am finding is with the ZMF Eikons :frowning2:

I have the Lawton Pads that V-Racer reviewed. For your TH-X00’s sake stay away from them as they’re really meant for the TH900.

You have a great first world problem in that there are plenty of pads that you can purchase that are more comfortable and still sound great. Personally I love the sheepskin Dekoni pads and I’m hoping to try out the ZMF Oris. If you’re looking at the ZMF Eikons PM me.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #10,697 of 12,089
I have the Lawton Pads that V-Racer reviewed. For your TH-X00’s sake stay away from them as they’re really meant for the TH900.

You have a great first world problem in that there are plenty of pads that you can purchase that are more comfortable and still sound great. Personally I love the sheepskin Dekoni pads and I’m hoping to try out the ZMF Oris. If you’re looking at the ZMF Eikons PM me.
+1

I'll also recommend the TH-X00 series Dekoni Sheepskin pads from Massdrop. ZMF Ori is also pretty good.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #10,698 of 12,089
Okay, after reading ~30 last pages I'm ordering Lawton TuneUp Kit and crossed off Vesper, Alphas and Dekonis.

Leaving me w options of ZMF Ori or Eikon

today I'll have it installed on my E-Mu Teaks with a pair of ZMF Eikon pads

What is your impression on Eikon over Ori? Comfort wise

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #10,699 of 12,089
Why do you have so many TH900s lol .. are all of these mods between them making them that much different ?
Yep, one has pure silver cable, the other bigger copper cable, one lawton 1 upgrade, the other full lawton up grade and one stock.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #10,701 of 12,089
Can you tell a more than subtle difference between copper and silver ?
Lawton copper cable gived a fuller mids. Silver fromm Moon audio actually tapers the top end of the treble while giving more details and seperation.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #10,702 of 12,089
Okay, after reading ~30 last pages I'm ordering Lawton TuneUp Kit and crossed off Vesper, Alphas and Dekonis.
I’m honestly surprised no-one rates the alphas. For me they’re the best sounding pads on the X00 bar none. Of course they charge the stock sound, but to my taste for the better. And I don’t think anyone can argue about their comfort. I wish every headphone had alpha pads! To each his own I guess.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #10,703 of 12,089
I’m honestly surprised no-one rates the alphas. For me they’re the best sounding pads on the X00 bar none. Of course they charge the stock sound, but to my taste for the better. And I don’t think anyone can argue about their comfort. I wish every headphone had alpha pads! To each his own I guess.
Yea the thing I don't want to change stock sound. I don't mind slight changes but I don't need elevated highs over stock. My ears are extremely treble sensitive.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #10,704 of 12,089
Yea the thing I don't want to change stock sound. I don't mind slight changes but I don't need elevated highs over stock. My ears are extremely treble sensitive.
Mine too! The alphas tame the highs beautifully! That’s their best feature. The also extend the sub bass, but are never boomy.and the sound stage too.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #10,705 of 12,089
I actually do have a spare pair of Alpha pads kicking around, I may try them vs my Oris. I'm not a good one to do this test though, I'm not a critical listener in any sense of the word.

FYI both are made of roughly identical sheepskin by feel. Alpha pads have a slightly steeper angle, with the thin section appearing slightly thinner, and the tall section being slightly taller. The Alpha foam feels ever so slightly stiffer using my uber-scientific finger pinch method :p

And of course, the Alphas are more rectangular (made to fit on Mr. Speaker's modded T-50s), while the Oris are full round.

I might try a test tomorrow.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #10,706 of 12,089
I actually do have a spare pair of Alpha pads kicking around, I may try them vs my Oris. I'm not a good one to do this test though, I'm not a critical listener in any sense of the word.

FYI both are made of roughly identical sheepskin by feel. Alpha pads have a slightly steeper angle, with the thin section appearing slightly thinner, and the tall section being slightly taller. The Alpha foam feels ever so slightly stiffer using my uber-scientific finger pinch method :p

And of course, the Alphas are more rectangular (made to fit on Mr. Speaker's modded T-50s), while the Oris are full round.

I might try a test tomorrow.
Great, look forward to your impressions! Just love the look of the Fostex with the alphas :) (see my avatar)

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #10,707 of 12,089
A valid solution. Having used it infinitely in my studio, I always prefer improving the source. EQ introduces phase shift in normal mode, even higher quality Linear Phase EQ, which does not do that, introduces pre-ringing that rounds off transients. I play from many sources (iTunes, Windows Media Player, various on-line apps and radio, Cakewalk Sonar, Pro Tools, Sound Forge, and out of a Focusrite all-in-one interface (recording, MIDI, dual headphone outs, etc.) in a minimal setup. Beyond that, reflections within a cup can be an issue or have a purpose EQ may not help.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #10,708 of 12,089
A valid solution. Having used it infinitely in my studio, I always prefer improving the source. EQ introduces phase shift in normal mode, even higher quality Linear Phase EQ, which does not do that, introduces pre-ringing that rounds off transients. I play from many sources (iTunes, Windows Media Player, various on-line apps and radio, Cakewalk Sonar, Pro Tools, Sound Forge, and out of a Focusrite all-in-one interface (recording, MIDI, dual headphone outs, etc.) in a minimal setup. Beyond that, reflections within a cup can be an issue or have a purpose EQ may not help.
Too bad you choose that way but if you enjoy doing it that way enjoy the journey.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #10,709 of 12,089
Too bad you choose that way but if you enjoy doing it that way enjoy the journey.
It's different since I use them for both listening pleasure and referencing mixes and during mastering as an alternative to my Dynaudio BM-6A Mk1 and a custom sub in a treated room. My ear is beyond the point of return when it comes to hearing subtle changes things like EQ introduce. Some newer engineers like to fix stuff later but I'm more old school, trying to fix things at the earliest part of the chain, the source. It also has to be quick jumping between applications vs. having to insert an EQ in the chain in Pro Tools, Sonar, etc. but yes, it's made it quite a journey trying cans.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #10,710 of 12,089
Mine too! The alphas tame the highs beautifully! That’s their best feature. The also extend the sub bass, but are never boomy.and the sound stage too.
I already have plenty of pad that I don't like and their sales are final.
But I'll definitively try em when I have a chance to see the difference w Oris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back