Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 8, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #10,653 of 12,089
Whats with all the price variations on these on Ebay?? Its like there 3 “brand new” ones from the same seller, but they all havw different prices.

Confusing
There's "New" which probably means it's new and unopened box.
There's "New-other" which is like new-open box. This would probably include the "dud" you returned.
I could not see a third type of new.
Personally I would get it directly from Massdrop but you might get lucky and get a good one from eBay.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #10,654 of 12,089
I am tempted by the Purple Hearts. Are they any good for metal?

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #10,655 of 12,089
I am tempted by the Purple Hearts. Are they any good for metal?

That's basically all I listen too and the answer for me is yes. But....I'm going to sound like a broken record. Get the Lawton level 1 tune up but only the dampening of the drivers. It cleans it up big time. Before the tune-up, they still sounded really good. But you'll notice after the tune-up especially when you hear the doubles on the kick, it's so much cleaner and can keep up without it sounding all messy and blended. You'll hear the separation so much better versus stock and the detail is incredible. Even without the mod, I really liked their sound for metal.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #10,657 of 12,089
How did you order the level 1 without their pads?

Curious as well, what kind of metal are you referring to?

Cheers.

I had him do it and it wasn't the DYI. I just e-mailed Lawton and told him I only wanted the driver dampening mod and that's all it took. He charges $69 +$20 for return shipping.

I probably should clarify. I listen to progressive Metal like........
Earthside, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Myrath, Adagio, Beyond the Bridge, Blotted Science, Brutai, Threshold, etc. I also listen to a LOT of Djent like TesseracT, The Helix Nebula, etc.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #10,658 of 12,089
Thanks I have bought some off eBay today. I look forward to hearing some metal through them.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #10,659 of 12,089
Also @gazzington and any others looking to buy the kit from Lawton.
I just emailed him and although the full kit is $45, if you want JUST the driver dampening pieces the price goes down to only $19 (which is what seems to be recommended here. The cup pieces apparently kill the bass too much).

So cheaper than expected :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #10,661 of 12,089
Another $10+ for shipping as well, not exactly cheap after the exchange rate :frowning2:

I'm thinking about buying some sound deadener and cutting out the pieces to fit around the drivers.

I wonder the same thing, if it’s possible to achieve a similar level of sound damping using audio material such as dynamat

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #10,662 of 12,089
wo what are the best pads for these especialy for a meatl fan?

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #10,663 of 12,089
I don't know about metal but for me the Alpha pads make my TH-X00 Mahogany shine with almost any genre. Extended sub bass, refined bass and controlled highs. I do think the ifi Micro iDSD has a part to play in the sound I'm getting, but the combination of these elements takes my headphones from great to outstanding. As always, YMMV.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #10,664 of 12,089

I think most of us that have the Lawton kit installed use the ZMF Ori pads with it. I personally topped mine off with the ZMF Pilot Pad as well, and consider it worth every penny :)

@cskippy has done lotsa pad measurements, he may be nice enough to repost the charts he has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back