Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #10,471 of 12,086
If you want vocals to be a little more forward then I would look at a Grado or one of the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones.
But what if they do want the mids, vocals while still getting da bass ?

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #10,473 of 12,086
TH-X00 with Dekoni TH-X00 series sheepskin pads will give you more forward vocals with good bass and treble. ZMF Ori pads are also good.
I can't speak for the Dekoni pads, but the Eikon pads > Ori pads by a significant amount.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #10,475 of 12,086
Sep 10, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #10,476 of 12,086
I tried the dekoni's and the brainwavz. With and without the ring. Loved the comfort. But in the end the stock pads just sounded right. So I went back to stock.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #10,477 of 12,086
Here are the measurements with @koover pads.

9935135_l.png

9935136_l.png

9935133_l.png
9935134_l.png

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #10,478 of 12,086
But what if they do want the mids, vocals while still getting da bass ?
If you know of a headphone that gives you the mids and highs of a RS2e with the bass of the TH-600/900 let me know :ksc75smile: since its a headphone I've yet to encounter.

FWIW I think the Nhoord prototype driver that I got is about as close as I've heard so far but since its still a prototype hard to say what will be the final sound of the driver.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #10,479 of 12,086
I can't speak for the Dekoni pads, but the Eikon pads > Ori pads by a significant amount.

I like the Dekoni pads more than the ZMF's Eikon pads for this particular headphone. The Dekoni pads have great mids compared to the Eikons (possibly because they are closer to the driver) while the Eikon pushes the mids a bit back. The Eikons are so.darn.comfortable... compared to the Dekonis and OEM pads. @cskippy want me to send you a set of Eikon pads to take measurements with the TH-X00 and M1060? As long as you send them back of course. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #10,480 of 12,086
If you know of a headphone that gives you the mids and highs of a RS2e with the bass of the TH-600/900 let me know :ksc75smile: since its a headphone I've yet to encounter.

FWIW I think the Nhoord prototype driver that I got is about as close as I've heard so far but since its still a prototype hard to say what will be the final sound of the driver.
I like the Dekoni pads more than the ZMF's Eikon pads for this particular headphone. The Dekoni pads have great mids compared to the Eikons (possibly because they are closer to the driver) while the Eikon pushes the mids a bit back. The Eikons are so.darn.comfortable... compared to the Dekonis and OEM pads. @cskippy want me to send you a set of Eikon pads to take measurements with the TH-X00 and M1060? As long as you send them back of course. :beyersmile:

I'd like to see the measurements too before buying even another set of pads. Without knowing, I really like the Ori and will stick with it until I literally see something better. The only thing I would like more with the Ori pad is a bit more mids. I like everything else it has to offer other then the recessed mids.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #10,481 of 12,086
Do it! Hehehe

The Dekoni pads seemed like a very slightly better version of stock, by which I mean not big enough to really fix the ear hole problem. That's why I never tried them. It would explain why they sound good though.

Like I said, I haven't found anything better sounding than the stock pads... but Lord, the comfort sticks.

@cskippy - I'd love see measurements on the Eikon pads too!

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #10,482 of 12,086

I don't know if that's even physically possible on a pair of headphones. I've heard some great loudspeakers that sound quite close to what you said, though it's hard to directly compare headphones and loudspeakers

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #10,483 of 12,086
Do it! Hehehe

The Dekoni pads seemed like a very slightly better version of stock, by which I mean not big enough to really fix the ear hole problem. That's why I never tried them. It would explain why they sound good though.

Like I said, I haven't found anything better sounding than the stock pads... but Lord, the comfort sticks.

@cskippy - I'd love see measurements on the Eikon pads too!
FWIW I have the Alpha pads on my X00 Mahogany and I've never heard a more sweet sounding headphone. Sub bass is slighly extended over stock (as if it needed to be) and the highs have also been tamed somewhat. I don't find the mids recessed at all - if anything the more expansive soundstage with these pads lets the music breathe and improves imaging as well. Not to mention they're the most comfortable pads of any headphone I've ever worn. As always, YMMV, but I've seen charts that show the Alphas to be among the best complement to the X00 of all the different pad swaps.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #10,484 of 12,086
FWIW I have the Alpha pads on my X00 Mahogany and I've never heard a more sweet sounding headphone. Sub bass is slighly extended over stock (as if it needed to be) and the highs have also been tamed somewhat. I don't find the mids recessed at all - if anything the more expansive soundstage with these pads lets the music breathe and improves imaging as well. Not to mention they're the most comfortable pads of any headphone I've ever worn. As always, YMMV, but I've seen charts that show the Alphas to be among the best complement to the X00 of all the different pad swaps.
That's cool. My experience was the complete opposite. I thought they were terrible compared to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back